Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying my first house - need advice!!

Options
  • 01-07-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

buying my first house with my boyfriend but haven't a clue where to start with advice and stuff. basically we have the house sorted and signing the mortgage tomorrow but after that i don't know what to do with regards house insurance, life assurance, etc. so i'm just wondering does anyone know of a website where i can get details which helps first time buyers and isn't just there to sell something???
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

1) http://www.thepropertypin.com
    2) http://www.askaboutmoney.com

Two irish sites, should be all you need to know betweem them.
    I recommend reading some of the first site before tomorrow...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

first off well done on coming here....

but you've left it a bit late for advice considering you're signing tomorrow?!

DO NOT BUY!

where have you been?! are you a first time cash buyer? the property you're buying will most likely be €100k or more cheaper in 2 years time why not rent until then?

DO NOT BUY - spend tomorrow reading through the forums here and at the above links

Then if you still think you should buy.....:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

buying my first house with my boyfriend but haven't a clue where to start

Jesus wept! The most important purchase in your lifetime, a decision that you will live with for the majority of your life and you are saying that you are buying tommorrow and have decided to swat up the night before. If this was your leaving cert exam starting tommorrow and you were opening your text book for the first time the evening before, you would be rightly derided and told you will get what you deserve. I can only hope that you are a cash buyer or have a huge deposit to put down and that this isnt a near 100% mortgage payable over 40 years. Step back, take a look at the forums posted above and picture what is happening now and in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Best of luck there are some great deals out there at the moment,

hope you got a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

haven't a clue where to start with advice and stuff. basically we have the house sorted and signing the mortgage tomorrow
    HAHAHAHA... you're going to get f**ked if that's the case. How much did you spend, where was it, and how big was the house? And did you haggle, or go with what was asked? Cos if you went for what was asked, you're probably going to regret it in 4 weeks when their neighbour sells for €40K less...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Fairly tastless reply there syco....

Its true that the property market is in a shambles, were seeing a cooling off soft-landing type situation :D at the moment, some might argue its a little more aggressive than that..... but either way its not the end of the world if you afford the repayments specially if interest rates continue to climb. just remember a home is a home, alot of people seem to think otherwise. good luck in your new place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Tracey, the tone in this thread is a bit unpleasant, but the advice is solid in my opinion. Buying now is a very, very bad idea. It is not too late to change your mind. Surf the propertypin.com for 10 minutes and see how you feel about your new place after that. My guess - you won't feel great.

Good luck (and really, don't buy now).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Tracy - don't mind all these negative comments, your home is only valued at what you sell it for which will presumably be some time down the line. Always felt I'd be better paying a mortgage than saving for when prices dropped cos it would prob balance eachother out - I'd never be disciplined enough to say the same amount as I pay into my mortgage.

Check out www.askaboutmoney.com for some advice and best of luck, its a proud moment when you sit on your couch and think this is my place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jetski wrote: »
    Fairly tastless reply there syco....
    Yeah, it came out rather badly, didn't it?

OP, considering that you know little about what is needed when you get the house, perhaps you may have forgotten some bits before buying the house, such as getting someone to look at the state of the place, it's plumbing, etc.

The last thing you want is a crack emerging from a freshly painted wall (oldest trick in the book, painting over a crack) 3 months down the line.

Also, are you buying with your head, or your heart? If with the heart, get your parents, or a friend to look at the property, to ensure you're not seeing the place with rose-tinted glasses, and missing out a few minor things, that could cause you hassle after you move in.

Also, as I've said to many people, before you sign any documents, stay in the area on a Saturday night, after 9pm, to ensure that the area is a nice one to live in, and not one to hate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tracey - Congrats on the new house:)

The building society / Bank will include insurance if you want them to,at this stage talking to them is your best bet as they wouldn't be handing over the mortgage with out life insurance and in some cases mortgage protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

buying my first house with my boyfriend but haven't a clue where to start with advice and stuff. basically we have the house sorted and signing the mortgage tomorrow but after that i don't know what to do with regards house insurance, life assurance, etc. so i'm just wondering does anyone know of a website where i can get details which helps first time buyers and isn't just there to sell something???
    thanks

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Unbelievable

IanCurtis wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Unbelievable

Now now Ian, we all know property is the best investment any person can ever make and prices will always rise whilst interest rates will always stay low. Price is an irrelevance, whats important is getting on the ladder now as its never been a better time to buy!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Supercell wrote: »

To be fair, that place is a bit of a joke. Its aim seems to be to attack banks and estate agents and to spin everything in a negative light. Its a bit too conspiracy theory for me...

OP: The fact is house prices are going down, so it does not make financial sense to buy now. Your impatience to buy now will cost you many many thousands over the life of the mortgage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some of the posts in this thread are completely condescending and not helpful.

OP, congrats on your purchase, although it is quite late to be asking for advice Im afraid.

While many people here have said "dont buy" without asking about your personal circumstances or the detail of your purchase, it goes to show how useful advice on the internet can be at times.

It would be useful if you could post some detail, location, type of property, the % of mortgage payments against your disposal income. also what your long term goals are, i.e. is it a long term property or a "stepping stone"

Its not the time to buy a property as a stepping stone or for any short to medium term gains. Property bought now will only give a return in the long term, all things being equal.

Therefore ask yourself. Are you happy to live their for 30-40 years, worse case scenario? Should you and your partners financial situation change drastically, could you rent the place out or sell it on (even at a loss)? Is it in an area in demand?

Re advice on insurance etc, generally speaking dont go with the same crowd that are providing your mortgage as they wont offer the best deal. Ring an insurance broker and ring the banks for a quote. its not a complex as it sounds. :)

Is the property fall foul to management fees, if so are you aware of what they are and whether or not the builders or the owners control the management company? Its no harm to ring the gardai in the local area to ask them about reported crime in the area.

Has a surveyor reviewed your property? (assuming its a second hand property)
    Have you filled in the TRS forms for mortgage interest relief? The bank usually provide this but you can also ring the Revenue people and they can sort it over the phone.

There is alot of advice on www.myhome.ie although its basic advice.

Best of luck with your purchase. While everyone here is saying dont buy, no one can tell you exactly when the right time to buy is because there will be a time when prices pick up again and all the people who held off will be buying in masses thus driving prices up. Thats how property works, it has periods of rising and falling prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

dublindude wrote: »
    To be fair, that place is a bit of a joke. Its aim seems to be to attack banks and estate agents and to spin everything in a negative light. Its a bit too conspiracy theory for me...

OP: The fact is house prices are going down, so it does not make financial sense to buy now. Your impatience to buy now will cost you many many thousands over the life of the mortgage.
    I wouldn't agree with you - the property pin got it right over the past few years (in fact, the posters there, who started on AAM but were banned / left when housing discussions were banned, were right 'all along' about the sad state we were getting ourselves into)m while AAM readers were feed the same old VI spin that the banks and EAs were feeding the rest of us in the national media. The property pin may be overly bearish at the moment (maybe...) but is still more 'on the ball' with regard the ongoing crash than any other site...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

first off well done on coming here....

but you've left it a bit late for advice considering you're signing tomorrow?!

DO NOT BUY!

where have you been?! are you a first time cash buyer? the property you're buying will most likely be €100k or more cheaper in 2 years time why not rent until then?

DO NOT BUY - spend tomorrow reading through the forums here and at the above links

Then if you still think you should buy.....:confused::confused::confused:

What kind of advise is that, the OP doesn't even mention what the hous costs but you are saying it's going to lose over a 100K. with advise like yours the OP would be as well staying away fomr this forum and just going on with the purchase.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Agree with faceman here.

Have to stay there are some seriously skewed agendas at work here, which might be better sated on that mega-thread. I believe the OP was asking for advice and not abuse on something she is about to do. Congrats OP. As with any purchase you know yourself if you can afford it and if it is right for you. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

Yeah everybody calm down!!

Don't think OP was asking advice on WHETHER to buy, she was just asking where to look for insurance, etc..!

OP I bought this week too, mad isn't it?!?!? The one thing is, I'm not sure the bank will allow you to close if life assurance/mortgage protection/ house insurance isn't in place so whatever you do, get that sorted quick! your solicitor should be able to point you in the right direction; my advice is get onto them NOW and ask them what needs to be done before the deal closes.

And don't mind them eeeeejits telling you not to buy; you're not an investor (I assume) you're a person who wants to own their own place and drill holes in walls and hang pictures without the landlord freaking and put the cat out and have a welcome mat and choose what taps you have on your sink, and have star wars wallpaper.... you get the idea!!! the only time you'll have to worry about the falling market and doom and gloom is if and when you decide to sell it, by which time the market will have recovered, your combined income will be waaaaay more than what it is now, and all else will be equal, so go for it (even though you have already!!)

Best of luck in your new home!! (and don't be too disappointed if there are delays, it's par for the course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

the only time you'll have to worry about the falling market and doom and gloom is if and when you decide to sell it, by which time the market will have recovered, your combined income will be waaaaay more than what it is now, and all else will be equal, so go for it (even though you have already!!)

Thats just as unhelpful as the dont buy now argument.

• Advertisement

Pete, what are you a professor in by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Now now Ian, we all know property is the best investment any person can ever make

I think knowledge and education are the best investment any person can make. Indeed, lack of knowledge has the OP in the midst of a financial disaster. :(

It reminds me of the time Homer hung onto the pumpkins and wondered why the price dropped so dramtically in November!

The only difference is that that was funny, this mistake isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

the only time you'll have to worry about the falling market and doom and gloom is if and when you decide to sell it, by which time the market will have recovered, your combined income will be waaaaay more than what it is now, and all else will be equal, so go for it (even though you have already!!)

Give us the lotto numbers while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

And don't mind them eeeeejits telling you not to buy....the only time you'll have to worry about the falling market and doom and gloom is if and when you decide to sell it, by which time the market will have recovered, your combined income will be waaaaay more than what it is now, and all else will be equal, so go for it (even though you have already!!)

Yeah cos your repayments will stay the same for the duration of the mortgage because interest rates are coming down. Oh no wait a minute, they're not. And your combined income will keep rising so you're grand cos we're in an indefinite economic boom. Oh no wait a minute, we're not.

The best advice Tracy could have been given, albeit late in the day, is to go to www.thepropertypin.com, analyse what has been said, argued, forecasted and come to pass - as opposed to the misinformation of vested interests in the housing industry and their cheerleaders in the media. Then come back in a year and if she disagrees with the general prognosis feel free to at least make an informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

All we are trying to do is stop someone from flushing tens of thousands down the toilet!!!

The property market is in meltdown. Prices are falling and will continue to fall. Fact. In such circumstances, why would anyone buy?

Some of the previous posters are clearly utterly deluded with their good luck messages for people who are going to mortgage their lives to the banks.

I dare one of you to tell me how Im wrong and substantiate your arguments and Ill have ya for breakfast.

My god, how can people be so dim?

I dare one of you to tell me how Im wrong and substantiate your arguments and Ill have ya for breakfast.

But the fundamentals are strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

His use of different size fonts and bolded italics has me convinced he knows all.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nov2006

Tracy, Referring to your post you are simply asking for advise on how/where to get house/life assurance etc and not on whether you should buy or not
    People should understand that everyones circumstances are different and if you can afford the repayments and all that comes with owning a house then you have the full right to purchase. I do hope you got a good deal in the current climate.

To answer your original question my advice to you would be to get the best quotes go to www.123.ie for house insurance. You will need to know the rebuildings cost of your house, this you will get from your valuer and also how much contents insurance you need. Go with the average unless you have anything valuable.
    For life insurance I think the best deal at the minute is with www.labrokers.ie where they will give you back a certain amount of the commission they make on your application. You will need to get mortgage protection for the amount of the full mortgage and if you want critical illness cover you need to specify this. Also you need to disclose all medical information for you and your boyfriend and also whether you smoke.
    You will need both of these policies in place before the mortgage starts and these need to be sent to the mortgage company before the cheque will be released.

Pm me if you need any further details as I am sure you were not expecting some of the responses to your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Just been listening to David McWilliams on the radio advising first time buyers to wait a year before purchasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

Apologies for the big fonts.

But if you think Im wrong than you are wrong. Its really staggerring how long it is taking for so many people to cop on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement