Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarkson in trouble again

Options
  • 29-05-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2045277/Jeremy-Clarkson-'should-be-sacked-from-Top-Gear'-for-speeding-remark.html
    The BBC is facing calls to sack the Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson after he boasted of driving at 186mph on a public road.

Mr Clarkson, 48, told an audience at the literary festival in Hay-on-Wye in Powys, that he got a "great" speeding ticket while driving a Bugatti Veyron supercar at 186mph in the Limehouse Link between central London and Docklands.

He hastily attempted to backtrack on his remarks to claim it must have been someone else as he was not convicted of the offence at court. He later described speed limits as "annoying for people who have a job to do".

The road safety charity Brake called on the BBC to sack him for his "offensive and irresponsible" comments.

Mary Williams, the chief executive, said: "He is the most appalling role model for our next generation of drivers. The BBC should sack him. He is totally out of control.

"Public money through the BBC should not fund such an irresponsible character who makes such dangerous comments."

Steve Mohabir, 39, from Godalming, in Surrey, was the only survivor of a collision with a speeding BMW that killed eight people on the A23 at Pyecombe near Brighton in May 2004. Among the dead was his two-year-old son, Marcus.

Mr Mohabir said: "It [186mph] is double the speed of the driver that hit us and if Jeremy Clarkson is saying you can double that speed then you might as well double the outcome which would have left 16 people dead."

Mr Clarkson's comments were made on Tuesday evening. He said: "I got a great speeding ticket. I think it was 186 in the Limehouse Link. Well, somebody did. Obviously it might not have been me."

A spokeswoman for the BBC said: "He made a flippant remark. Of course he wouldn't drive at 186mph through the Limehouse Link."

A spokeswoman for Mr Clarkson's management company declined to comment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

He's a clown but TG just wouldn't be the same.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone who took that comment seriously must be a complete idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Wow, must make him feel really tough doing that kind of speed....big man..... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top Gear back in a week and Clarkson in the papers shock?

Its not even possible I would suggest, the link is 1.8 km long and what with other traffic and the design its unlikely you could reach 300 kp/h before running out of road.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Maximilian wrote: »

That is where the problem lies. The world is full of them.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Wow, must make him feel really tough doing that kind of speed....big man..... :mad:

A) I doubt he did that speed (see above); and

B) If he did, I doubt he felt really tough at all. I'd say he felt really awesome. Really, really awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

I just wish I had a car that could do 186mph:(

I just wish I had a tank that could do 186mph:(

A) I doubt he did that speed (see above); and

B) If he did, I doubt he felt really tough at all. I'd say he felt really awesome. Really, really awesome.

Good and I hope he is the prick that dies, see how awesome he feels then. The exact speed doesn't matter anything over the limit is wrong.

Good and I hope he is the prick that dies, see how awesome he feels then. The exact speed doesn't matter anything over the limit is wrong.

I see. He makes a flippant comment jokingly saying he went at 186mph in urban London and you bestow the death penalty on him.

Read the Daily Mail much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭gavquinn

Look, nobody would get away with a ticket for doing that speed. So if he did, he'd be banned from the road and you'd hear about it. He's a waffler, so what? One of my mates always has an "exciting story"

What's more, he seems to be picked up quite a lot for saying things that if I heard, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. People don't like him, and therefore -
    To anyone offended? Toughen up, stop bein a total pussy, letting everyone's comments offend you.

I see. He makes a flippant comment jokingly saying he went at 186mph in urban London and you bestow the death penalty on him.

Read the Daily Mail much?

Never read it.....

You can continue on in your hero worship of him
    btw....speed doesn't increase the size of your dick........

Never read it.....

That's just inappropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think everyone needs to chill out a bit.

This was a throwaway remark by Clarkson. He didnt actually do that speed on that road.

So can we attack posts and not posters, if we have to do that at all.

Never read it.....

Bill Ashmount either stop being so hypocritical, and may I say inappropriate or stop commenting.
    I'm sure nobody wants to read ridiculous nonsense.

Never read it.....

Depends what you tied it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Who me?

Anyone that took his comment seriously needs to get out more, it's so obvious he was taking the piss, knowing there would be a reaction from the moralists. Mission accomplished for Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

+1
    mike65 wrote: »

It is, off course advertising.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When exactly is TG back?

June the 15th:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mike65 wrote: »

Its not even possible I would suggest, the link is 1.8 km long and what with other traffic and the design its unlikely you could reach 300 kp/h before running out of road.

Mike.

in a bugatti veyron anything is possible

Akrasia wrote: »
    in a bugatti veyron anything is possible

Deffo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

elmolesto wrote: »
    June the 15th:)

I've read in a few places that it wont be back until the 22nd. But don't know how reliable they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing in digiguide to confirm or deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

I'd swop my big dick for a bugatti any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

I'd swop my big dick for a bugatti any day of the week.

You cant swap something that doesnt exist for a veyron
    sheesh :p

I hate people who think speeding causes death, its not speeding, its damn ignorant drivers and bad drivers who cause accidents.
    Whats safer, some 80 year old granny driving around in the fog in some starlet without any lights on at 20km/h or a man who actually drives for a living??

Jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Come on give him a break if u had a Bugatti Veyron you'd drive it like it shud be driven too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He doesn't have a Veyron so be hard for him to do it:p,and the one time he was driving one,wasn't it across Europe or something?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

elmolesto wrote: »
    +1

It is, off course advertising.:)

+2

Clarkson an idiot if funny at times. Hes good at getting coverage in the media. That his job. TG starting soon and hey look hes in the media. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kmart6 wrote: »
    He doesn't have a Veyron so be hard for him to do it:p,and the one time he was driving one,wasn't it across Europe or something?!
    Nope
    It was southern france to london., via the tunnel, hence by the docks and the road in question, at night so traffic was low

Advertisement