Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

==POETS Wich are more likely to come up poll

Options
  • 11-05-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

• John Montague
    • Robert Frost
    • Sylvia Plath
    • Adrienne Rich
    • Derek Mahon
    • Philip Larkin
    • Eavan Boland
    • John Donne
    Wich poets are most likely to come up please vote

Please thick a maximum of 4 poets for accuracy thank you 335 votes

Eavan Boland
    0%
    John Donne
    29%
    KaromaBig EarsJC 2K3Pyr0meekaCorruptedmoralsCraniaPatrickisperfecphilologoslimerick_man1huge1AlvisDiarmsquidpeachesxcreamStrokesaAlquaThomas_S_HuntersonTimansSobyLéan 99 votes
    Robert Frost
    14%
    Big EarsJC 2K3meekaMimikyuCraniaPatrickisperfeclimerick_man1huge1DiarmsquidThomas_S_HuntersonTimansSobymuffinmangaeilgegrindsJC06conor563deise_boigeoff_nflpphheerroonnnatrisioga 48 votes
    Philip Larkin
    5%
    JC 2K3DiarmsquidThomas_S_HuntersonFitzosmiles302cartman444SligoBrewerf1danGERMAN ROCKSKing Ludvigeroocallaway92hippety-pippetyTarvismikeCokehead MotherBonj15phase-3Dougalinho10 18 votes
    Derek Mahon
    17%
    KaromaBig EarsJC 2K3Pyr0meekaCorruptedmoralsMimikyuPatrickisperfecphilologoslimerick_man1huge1AlquaThomas_S_HuntersonTimansSobyParsleyMars BarGLaDOSNiSmOgaeilgegrinds 58 votes
    John Montague
    24%
    Big EarsJC 2K3Pyr0MimikyuCraniaPatrickisperfeclimerick_manAlvisDiarmsquidpeachesxcreamStrokesaAlquaThomas_S_HuntersonParsleyLéanmuffinmanMars BarGLaDOSNiSmOJC06 83 votes
    Sylvia Plath
    3%
    JC 2K3StrokesaThomas_S_Huntersonf1danGERMAN ROCKSerooPete29Bonj15daithi_studentsalman85Adventure 11 votes
    Adrienne Rich
    5%
    JC 2K3spudington16peachesxcreamThomas_S_HuntersonThe WalshoSligoBrewersd123erooCokehead Motherkwestfan08Bonj15jay3110bohs1890degausserxodaithi_studentMrMartisalman85KolaBABY 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Derek Mahon
    kinda stupid poll.....

everyone is gonna vote for the poets they want to come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

John Montague
    The four most likely, going on probability alone are:
    1. Philip Larkin
    2. Adrienne Rich
    3. Derek Mahon
    4. Eavan Boland
    The rest have been on before recently. That's not to say that these will be the ones on the paper. But if you study all them (in that order), you will most likely get a question on one of them on the day. If you look at the papers, its VERY unlikely that the other four will come up together, seeing as most of the other four have been on either last year or the year before.

We'll probably get three out of the four above and one out of the other four.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

John Donne
    If Boland comes up (Last year on the course) means I will get an A as i know her poetry inside out so lets hope and pray!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MrMarti

Adrienne Rich
    umm keep voting so we can get a more accurate result, and no people wont vote who they like to come up, frost for example got very few votes and we all know that he's among the easyest poets to study !! :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marus aureilous

John Montague
    personally i think it will be
    1. donne(was up in 06 but is last year on course)
    2. boland(think 05 and last yrear too)
    3. rich( 1st year on course)
    4 mahon( hasnt been up since 04)
    could be larkin hasnt been seen since 01

normally its one new,one old,one man, one woman
    hopefully donne and rich are their 2 easiest in my opinion and do hope for larkin but probably wont be their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Derek Mahon
    Our teacher is always going on about how he thinks Donne and Rich will come up.

Something like
    Donne
    Rich
    Boland
    Larkin

love if Donne comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Derek Mahon
    I've been hearing from all over the place that Larkin is going to come up.

I also voted Boland and Donne, because my teacher keeps going on about how we'd be stupid to leave out Donne...and Boland because she hasn't been up in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

John Montague
    I really hope Boland comes up! She's my favourite! :)

Though our english says that Rich is nearly definate... And she's quite an impressive teacher, (we did the entire english course in one year!!!) Our teacher for LC1... was.... erm.... shouldn't be mentioned... Grrrr him! huff! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

John Montague
    Mahon and Boland WILL come up.

Its crystal clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

John Montague
    Every year so far a female poet has always come up.
    At least 1 Irish poet has come up each year so far too.

Thats not to say it will be the same this year, but id say it will.

My analyis:

Rich: This is her first year on the course. In the past a poet has always come up if its their first year.

Boland: hasnt been up in 3 years and this is her last year on the course so perhaps she'll be there too.

Donne: Was up in 2003 and 2006. Dought we'll see him

Montague: ???

Plath: has come up 2003, 2004, 2007. Meh 50/50

Frost: Would like to see him up but i not sure. Came up in 2003 and 2007

Larkin: Havent looked at him

Mahon: Hasnt been up since 2004 id say about 70% likely

Im hoping for (wishful thinking):
    Rich
    Boland
    Mahon
    Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

John Montague
    Praying on Rich or Boland but would be alright to have to do Mahon, don't like Larkin but he has to be done. I wish we were doing Montague this year...he rocks!

Adrienne Rich
    thanks guys for voting keep it up please so we can get a more accurate result

John Montague
    MrMarti wrote: »
    thanks guys for voting keep it up please so we can get a more accurate result

Ur a gob****e if your relying on this

Adrienne Rich
    KERPAL wrote: »
    Ur a gob****e if your relying on this

i'm not relying on this, but i'm going to study the 5 most voted so there will be more chance that they will come up and i will have more choice in the exam,u moron...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

Derek Mahon
    ok i think (hope) that boland comes up. i dont know any larkin or mahon, i hate rich! but i think she'll prob come up cos i don't want her to.
    i hope:
    boland
    donne
    frost
    how many are you supposed to study to make sure you know one that comes up?

Adrienne Rich
    ok i think (hope) that boland comes up. i dont know any larkin or mahon, i hate rich! but i think she'll prob come up cos i don't want her to.
    i hope:
    boland
    donne
    frost
    how many are you supposed to study to make sure you know one that comes up?

you should study 5 out of 8 so you can be defenetly sure, but there's people that study 4 and i even know a guy who's studying just 2,
    if you study 5 there's no risk but as you study less the risk that none of the ones that you've studyed don't come up increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

John Montague
    Almost everyone i know are only studying 3.

John Montague
    Rich, Mahon, Donne and Larkin.

Definately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Derek Mahon
    Plath, Montague and Frost not very likely..I'm pretty sure they all came up my year, last year. Bishop did the 2 years in a row thing, but even so...very doubtful.

Don't bother studying 5 poets now..you should KNOW 5 poets, of course, but there's no point in studying them all in depth now. You should study the 2 female ones, and do one of the Irish ones. If you're able to do more, cover the other Irish one..though that would be Montague. Don't spend too much time studying poetry..it's worth the least marks of the essays on Paper 2. Don't feel you HAVE to cover 5/6 poems in the essay either, I did 4 for Plath and got full marks.

John Montague
    MrMarti wrote: »
    i'm not relying on this, but i'm going to study the 5 most voted so there will be more chance that they will come up and i will have more choice in the exam,u moron...;)

Bit late to start studyin the 5 most voted... neway sorry for callin u a gob****e, its al the tension....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

John Montague
    Mahon and Rich would be my bet, most of us in school are just REALLY focusing on them, we haven't looked at Boland, so ifs shes the woman I'm ****ed lol! Mahon' pretty easy though, and there's a pretty good chance he'll come up.

Adrienne Rich
    KERPAL wrote: »
    Bit late to start studyin the 5 most voted... neway sorry for callin u a gob****e, its al the tension....:)

ya man me 2 sorry.god i'll study 4 i guess and for help i got easy frost neway. 9 days lft grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Derek Mahon
    The whole point of the system is that it can't be predicted!!! People making up stats like 70% likely to come up are retarded!!!

I'd say at this stage learn 3 poets perfectly (i'm doing Larkin, Rich and Mahon) and then have a good knowledge of another 2 if the worst comes to worst.

Also, there isnt a set amount of poems you have to write about!! Its possible to get full marks with 1 poem but it would have to be a seriously brilliant analysis! I'm only planning on writing on 4 poems

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Bowden wrote: »
    If Boland comes up (Last year on the course) means I will get an A as i know her poetry inside out so lets hope and pray!!!

It couldn't be simpler!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

As far as I remember off the top of my head,

2005: Eliot
    2006: Donne
    2007: Eliot
    2008: In my estimation Donne is a safe bet. Not an easy question answer mind you.

Usually, LC poetry has;
    1. One Female
    2. One Irish
    3. One Intellectually Exclusive (Eliot, Donne, Yeats to a lesser extent)
    4. And one 'other'

Thats my opinion.

The whole point of the system is that it can't be predicted!!! People making up stats like 70% likely to come up are retarded!!!

I'd say at this stage learn 3 poets perfectly (i'm doing Larkin, Rich and Mahon) and then have a good knowledge of another 2 if the worst comes to worst.

Also, there isnt a set amount of poems you have to write about!! Its possible to get full marks with 1 poem but it would have to be a seriously brilliant analysis! I'm only planning on writing on 4 poems

That's what I'm doing.

If you haven't got a well-written essay at this stage, I think you're in trouble. It's essential to prepare an essay, analyzing 4+ poems. Adapt it to the question if the question is somewhat specific (personal response, themes etc.).

You'd have to be really really gifted and confident to go into the exam unsure of the aspects and poems which you will write about.

It's the same with the comparative studies.

bright wrote: »
    As far as I remember off the top of my head,

2005: Eliot
    2006: Donne
    2007: Eliot
    2008: In my estimation Donne is a safe bet. Not an easy question answer mind you.

Usually, LC poetry has;
    1. One Female Boland/ Rich
    2. One Irish Boland/ Mahon
    3. One Intellectually Exclusive (Eliot, Donne, Yeats to a lesser extent)
    4. And one 'other' Larkin
    Thats my opinion.

That's what I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

If you are stuck at this stage i suggest studying the female poets its an unwritten rule that one of them has to come up. Remember half the people doing the leaving cert are female and thus they mus put at least 1 female poet on the paper to avoid allegations of sexism. Check out your past papers havent seen the last 2 years but i'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jediyoda

Derek Mahon
    larkin (nothing since 01)
    rich (first year)
    boland (last year)

id advise to do boland and rich because theres always a woman and i dont think plath will be there having come up the last 2 years.......

the 3 im relying on

after that i dont really care but its between donne and montague

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

John Montague
    Im banking on
    Mahon
    Boland
    Larkin

Our class were told that everyone will think its Rich thats coming up but she wont! the exam makers could do a sly one!

Advertisement