Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming and Shaming bad debts = bad form?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

popcorn_10000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 al10pin

Jay,

Sorry that you have been caught like this. I am only picking up on the thread now, so I haven't seen who you named but wished I did. There are a couple of notes made like don't lend etc...... all too late for you.

I think for those that are making negative posts I think it would be fair to assume that:

When the money was lent Jay was not aware of the seriousness of the person's debts

If he was a high roller on-line it would have been a fair assumption that the money was going to be given back the next time they saw one another

I would also say that promises were given and broken.

The final straw for Jay is knowing he is still playing cards live and on line with his money. You are absolutely right in naming if the guy. The poker community should be backing you instead of knocking you in the hope that noone else gets caught, and hopefully no poker room allows him play under these certain circumstances.

Jay pm me if you need a dig out

Mark M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Jayminator wrote: »
    Sammy your next...Jokin ffs... Anyhow yes I agree it lacks class but what can ya do eh

Jay-your a gent on and off the table-the fact that you actually posted shows how badly your being messed around. I think the money will eventually come back to you. I hope it all works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

ianmc38 wrote: »
    FYP you pikey!

Lol best YOINK ever.Youll have to prize it out of my cold dead hands imo.Tell Pedronis his nice grey t-shirt now lines my dogs basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I first became interested in problem gambling via lending various people money through online poker and never getting it back. I appreciate that lending money to people you have never met and don't really know at all is -EV, but what surprised me was not that I almost never got money paid back from these people but that they never intended to pay it back. Some people with gambling problems will move heaven and earth to pay you back (especially if you are likely to lend again), others will just screw you completely even if they have the money.

I too have had to sit there watching a player with $15k in front of him at a table online and yet refuse to even talk to me about paying back money they owe me. It's *so* more frustrating and annoying than a guy who is genuinely broke.

I think Jay's motives were obviously 3 fold -
    1) Let people know not to lend to this guy
    2) Try to shame him into paying, if only to keep Jay shut and his reputation / credit line with others in good shape
    3) Revenge. Calling him out for being a scumbag.

Then it comes down to whether it is acceptable morally / legally / socially to post it.

I think it is morally fine. I think it is not legally fine from boards' perspective to have unsubstantiated accusations of a libelous nature. I also think it is not healthy for the boards community to have members calling out mutual acquaintances like this. I very obviously cannot speak for Dev and co. but I get the feeling that boards simply ought not to be used for negative purposes such as naming and shaming individuals, irrespective of the possible legal implications.

I'm with Jay on this issue, with calling him out in real life to others, but not using boards to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Wait until Yuletired see's what you said about him

I realise i look like a jumkie but im actually afriad of drugs since 89.:pac: (i;m drunk atm so cuse spellin)

on a serious note, im saddened that Jay is driven to this. it a crying shame . Things are tightening ecomomically for all, people should not be gambling with other people money/lives....I hope is resolved without further debate.....try not to lambase the poster , in some parts of Dublin the villian would not be given a choice to pay it back... it is indeed a sick and frustrating feeling and does make you consider drastic action, posting on a forum is not such a drastic thing..imo.....Jay has my empathy......

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I realise i look like a jumkie but im actually afriad of drugs since 89.:pac: (i;m drunk atm so cuse spellin)

Ya I remember the '89 epidemic meself, I was seven, really turned me off drugs that year did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

NOBODY has asked for a PM detailing the removed name from Jays original thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Jay has every right to let people know this information. I don't know who it is, but he/she is obviously a degenerate gambler and needs help by the sounds of things.

lol, rofl.

NOBODY has asked for a PM detailing the removed name from Jays original thread.

I PM'd Jay....

He told me IT WAS YOU :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

It was already outed as Reggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

If it is who I think it is then you will all get paid the next time said person goes on a heater. If he is still playing live/online poker then it is NOT with his own money so how is he supposed to pay people back?

I understand Jay's reason for posting the initial thread and TBH I think that once it was posted it should stay there.

At the moment Jay there is very little chance of you getting any cash back. As I found out recently the amount owed is far too much to expect any return. You should just hope people keep staking him as it is the only chance you have of getting anything back which means the thread you posted has just jeopardised any chance you have of getting your cash back.

FWIW the guy in question is a really sound person who has just got himself in over his head. I have no doubt if he gets the cash to pay evreyone back he will but he owes far too much for it to be a realistic possibility. If he owes you then take it as lost and it will be a nice bonus when he does get it together and you get a nice wad from him. Lending cash is a risky business, if you cannot afford to get stiffed then don't give it out no matter how well you know the person. Lesson well learned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly if you had put up a post something like this and not mentioned a name, I would not have been against you.

What would be the point of the thread in Jay's view if he didn't mention a name. Hotspur was spot on when he said Jay's motives were -

2) Try to shame him into paying, if only to keep Jay shut and his reputation / credit line with others in good shape

Its tough when something like this happens but I don't like this outing someone on a forum where there are countless unknowns reading your post and from who knows where.

Why, whats the problem with letting other people know not to get stung by this guy? If he has no problem taking loans and not repaying them there's obviously a very good chance he'll do it again. At least when he's outed some people who could've gotten stung will know better than to lend.

I would personally face the issue head on, i.e. wait until I see him playing in a cash game and call him aside and request my money right there and then, and if he does not deliver, I would inform him that I will be waiting until he cashes out and let him know he will not be leaving without making at least a part payment on what I am owed.

Lol, here you go with the Schwarzenegger stuff again, you can let him know all you like that he "will not be leaving without making at least a part payment on what I am owed", but when he decides that he is precisely what he is gonna do you are fecked.

And I'd say Jay has faced the issue head-on by this stage, as he said he has "demanded the money back personnally on more than 1 occasion and been ignored". So he's down to his last resort, outing the guy on a public forum. Have you got any other options in mind? If you were owed serious cash by someone who was taking the piss by still playing high stakes while refusing to pay you what would you do at this stage after asking for your money back numerous times and being ignored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

It's to be expected that players owe each other cash all over the poker scene isn't it though?

Everyone goes through highs and lows in this game; one week they're flush, the next back to pasta and oxo cubes.

If a player is flushed and not paying back their debts (or at least making gradual restitution) then there's cause for genuine disgruntlement.

However - if the player is in a trough then what can naming and shaming do other than put them further into a hole?

Being fair I think the depressions that some players go through must be astronomical. A bad beat of epic proportions can drive you to the depths of despair so readily.

Also it depends on the nature of the person involved. A handful of players in The Bank have staked me to cash games in the past, knowing full well that they'll see it back. Of course that might be a week or two coming - but they see it back.

I'll also freely admit I personally owe a player 300 quid but the guy upped and left the country at short notice (as in I got a text one night saying he was at the airport and bye bye...)

This was like 4 years ago, and knowing him he simply looks at it as a long term investment (cos he'll see a bit more than 300 whenever he returns back).

In short; I can't see the benefit of naming any person here for the purposes of 'shaming' him. All that happens is that he and his close friends rally together, and I would think that the namer suddenly finds themselves in a hostile environment. Everyone at the poker table has their secrets - and whether those secrets are voiced or not, you can be sure that everyone knows the stories. But, just because you know the stories doesn't mean you go telling all and sundry on an internet forum.

The poker industry is one built on trust... Let's keep it that way in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

lee_arama wrote: »
    The poker industry is one built on trust... Let's keep it that way in the future.

A bit like then way the person was lent money in the first place? On the basis of trust that he would pay it back as agreed?

When he breaks that trust repeatedly by blowing off the person he borrowed from and making no attempt to address the debt does he still then deserve to be trusted that he will make good on the debt?

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm just glad my name wasn't mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lee_arama wrote: »

Do you really believe that? And Mormank thought he was naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

fwiw i, as others have mentioned know Jay to be a gent and sound guy - and so id guess that he only posted the initial thread as an absolute last resort.

hope it all turns out good - for all parties involved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

no need for that chucky, the longer this forum runs the more ar$ehole posts that go up. no wonder we're losing decent posters hand over fist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

It was already outed as Reggie

Woah, what about some unknowns looking at this. They might believe it! You bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Reggie gets a ridiculously raw deal imo, ive just caught up on these threads and i 'almost' believed it, his name is everywhere:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Apoligies, only a joke, didnt think people would get that upset over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pub07 wrote: »
    What would be the point of the thread in Jay's view if he didn't mention a name. Hotspur was spot on when he said Jay's motives were -

Why, whats the problem with letting other people know not to get stung by this guy? If he has no problem taking loans and not repaying them there's obviously a very good chance he'll do it again. At least when he's outed some people who could've gotten stung will know better than to lend.

Lol, here you go with the Schwarzenegger stuff again, you can let him know all you like that he "will not be leaving without making at least a part payment on what I am owed", but when he decides that he is precisely what he is gonna do you are fecked.

And I'd say Jay has faced the issue head-on by this stage, as he said he has "demanded the money back personnally on more than 1 occasion and been ignored". So he's down to his last resort, outing the guy on a public forum. Have you got any other options in mind? If you were owed serious cash by someone who was taking the piss by still playing high stakes while refusing to pay you what would you do at this stage after asking for your money back numerous times and being ignored?

1. Lol, whats this about, I never mentioned violence or hard man tactics, because I know most of you are just little wimps so there'd be no point in threatening violence. :D
    2. I'd say, I presume, which really means that you don't know anything at all.
    3. Yeah, just forget about it if it goes this far. I know one thing for certain, if it was me who was the person owing the monies and had a big list, I know who would certainly be on the bottom of the list for repayments now.

I'm bored with this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Apoligies, only a joke, didnt think people would get that upset over it.

I lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    I lol'd

me too. Good gag imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

eagle eye wrote: »
    Naming and shaming on a public forum is not the way to go about helping someone with a serious addiction. This does not help anyone not the creditor nor debtor. The creditor came on here and got lambasted by a few people, and I'm sure that he is not happy about that. The debtor will undoubtedly hear about this, and who knows how he will take that news.
    So tell me now what good has it done?

Jay should have done what most other people do. Write a blog and then link to it. That one seems to be a gray area and avoids any issues with "public forums" tbh.

Hope it gets sorted in your favour Jay. You come across fairly sound via your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭dagunman

Half the ppl posting on this and the orginal thread dont have a clue about the situation and just wanna get involved. Then there are another host of degen's who are saying its bad form as there bricking it that they will be next to be outed.
    Having spoken to Jay about this before and know the whole story I think he resorted to his last option and think his actions were fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

eagle eye wrote:
    3. Yeah, just forget about it if it goes this far. I know one thing for certain, if it was me who was the person owing the monies and had a big list, I know who would certainly be on the bottom of the list for repayments now.
    So much for "having the stones" to get your money back and letting the borrower know that "they won't be leaving without at least making a part repayment on the money owed". In other words, you'd just throw in the towel and the guy who ripped you off is free to do it again and again to other people without consequence - and that's precisely the reason why he'll keep doing it.
    eagle eye wrote:
    Naming and shaming on a public forum is not the way to go about helping someone with a serious addiction. This does not help anyone not the creditor nor debtor.
    I couldn't give two f*cks about 'helping' someone beat a gambling addiction when that person has helped themselves to mine and other peoples money. I'd only be interested in getting my money back, it's up to them to sort themselves out and stop inflicting misery on other people with their problem.
    As I said earlier I got stung by a close friend for a decent amount of money so I have strong views on this whole issue. I'm actually back on good terms with this person these days but when I was approached by them for a loan recently, and I was fairly surprised by the cheek of it tbh, I made them aware in no uncertain terms that there was no chance it was happening and I told them exactly why.
    The creditor came on here and got lambasted by a few people, and I'm sure that he is not happy about that. The debtor will undoubtedly hear about this, and who knows how he will take that news.
    So tell me now what good has it done?

Here's are the advantages of naming and shaming.

Advantages:
    1). Other potential lenders are made aware that the borrower is not good for the money and they are unlikely to be repaid. This could/will save upstanding members of the general poker community alot of cash and hardship.

2). When all other avenues of trying to retrieve your money have been thoroughly exhausted, naming and shaming offers one last chance of getting it back if the borrower wants to keep his reputation intact. It's the same as auld ones ringing up Joe Duffy or Gerry Ryan to whinge about some issue they want resolved, it doesn't always work but alot of the time it does and that's why they keep doing it.

3). The borrower learns that there are consequences to their actions and dishonesty. They lose their good name and they don't just get off scot free, riding off into the sunset with other peoples money time after time. I'm a believer in justice - If you f*ck someone over you should not just get away with it.

Disadvantages of naming and shaming:
    1). You no longer get to stealborrow money off people that you have no intention of paying back. Oh wait, that only applies to the guy who is taking advantage of other people. Hmmm, I'm finding it hard to think of any disadvantages of letting people know that someone is ripping people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I did say I was tired of the thread, so stop quoting me, you are wasting your time.
    Oh and Pub, I think you should read what you are quoting before you post it, or didn't you notice the smiley at the end of one of the quotes.

Advertisement