Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War 2, was it a War between Good versus Evil or Evil Versus Evil?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zebra3, I wasn't saying that I believe Britain cared about Poland, just stating that the offical reason for going to war was to defend Poland, not to stop the concentration camps.
    Mac, I think you know yourself that the Nazi's had more than one way of killing people and not being able to go to a concentration camp by train would have been a minor inconvience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

PDN wrote: »
    Anytime I've heard it portrayed it is as something else. Good grief, even Basil Fawlty portrayed it as starting because Germany invaded Poland (don't talk about the war!).
    :D True, but poor old Basil had got a bump to the head and was crazier then his usual self !!!
    Zebra3, I wasn't saying that I believe Britain cared about Poland, just stating that the offical reason for going to war was to defend Poland, not to stop the concentration camps.
    Mac, I think you know yourself that the Nazi's had more than one way of killing people and not being able to go to a concentration camp by train would have been a minor inconvience.
    Fair enough Brian, fair enough. Your a 100% right that " offical reason for going to war was to defend Poland " , I jumped the gun and wrote about the saving mankind bit which the whole thing was portrayed after the war. My apologies.

My point been, when you have one set of Imperialists, France, Britian, claiming to be defending small nations etc while they in turn have colonies all over the globe is hypocritical and hides their real reasons for declaring war on Germany. I say their real reasons for declaring war on Germany leading to WW2 where little different from WW1, i.e. fear of a colonial rival.

McArmalite wrote: »
    Fair enough Brian, fair enough. Your a 100% right that " offical reason for going to war was to defend Poland " , I jumped the gun and wrote about the saving mankind bit which the whole thing was portrayed after the war. My apologies.

My point been, when you have one set of Imperialists, France, Britian, claiming to be defending small nations etc while they in turn have colonies all over the globe is hypocritical and hides their real reasons for declaring war on Germany. I say their real reasons for declaring war on Germany leading to WW2 where little different from WW1, i.e. fear of a colonial rival.

See when you state the facts like that you can actually come up with some decent answers! :p I agree with you completely that it was hypocritical of britain and france. However neither country had any colonies in Europe at the time and Germany hadn't made any push into any other continent, so I imagine it was a genuine fear of attack on their own countries (which did happen, whether it was their own fault or not is another issue) that forced France and Britain into ww2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

no such thing as good and evil. it was humans vs humans who had different beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    no such thing as good and evil. it was humans vs humans who had different beliefs.

Depends how you want to see it. Would you say Mother Theresa is just an average Human, i would say she's good, what about Pope John Paul 2nd. Would Ted Bundy not be classed as Evil or maybe Charles Manson. I would say those would be examples as good and evil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

thank god they did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm sure those that lived in Indo-China during the 60s and 70s were glad they did. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Damn right. This cackling, supervillain-style "evil" just doesn't exist. It's just people acting in their own self-interest. No-one wakes up and says to themselves "Ok, what evil can I do today?". Not Hitler, not Al-Quaeda, not anyone. It just makes things easier for us if we think of them as doing so. Granted, you do see small numbers of sociopaths who are capable of mass-murder, but I would see this as sickness rather than evil.

While Germany was the perpetrator of genocide (which is deplorable, but not uncommon throughout history), Britain didn't exactly do much to help out the victims. It had pretty strict immigration policies and regularly turned back refugees.

Fremen wrote: »
    Damn right. This cackling, supervillain-style "evil" just doesn't exist. It's just people acting in their own self-interest. No-one wakes up and says to themselves "Ok, what evil can I do today?". Not Hitler, not Al-Quaeda, not anyone. It just makes things easier for us if we think of them as doing so. Granted, you do see small numbers of sociopaths who are capable of mass-murder, but I would see this as sickness rather than evil.

While Germany was the perpetrator of genocide (which is deplorable, but not uncommon throughout history), Britain didn't exactly do much to help out the victims. It had pretty strict immigration policies and regularly turned back refugees.

What about the Priests that molested children, they knew what they were doing and knew it was evil yet they did it anyway. Or Murderers, they know that killing innocent people is evil too, my point is where some people seem to have an ideology you can't say others don't know what they're doing, a lot of people geneuinely do know what they are doing and don't care so i don't see how there's no such thing as evil when there are people out there who don't care

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Agree with you there Zebra. And of the 200,000 killed by US/Britain/France, I don't know if anyone could produce the stats, but since 40,000 innocent civilians were murdered in Dresden alone, I'd say the majority of the 200,000 were innocent civilians and not German military.

Firstly, I wouldn't go complaining too much about Dresden, the Blitz, or anything else of the nature. It's just the way wars were fought back then, considered taking to the maximum level, just like some nuclear missiles today are aimed at cities.

Secondly, I think you're underestimating the sheer size of WWII. The German Army lost over 4 million personnel killed or missing. Not wounded. Not captured. Dead. This was not a playground scrap, and should not be taken in context with little distractions like Vietnam or Iraq. It was a no-holds-barred, do whatever it takes to win, and every single thing in your country to include its population is a military resource to be expended in defeating the enemy, fight to the finish. I have no reason not to believe that 200,000 military were killed by the Western Allies.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lets simplify and bring it down to basics.
    Hands up those that would rather Britain and later USA had not entered WWII.
    In other words who here would have liked to have a Europe (including a united NAZI Ireland) and indeed a world dominated by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan with possibily a communist USSR in the mix also.

Then if you are happy with that scenario you can tell us all why evil US and Britain really went to war and how they did awfully bad things.

Otherwise be damm glad that somebody did stand up to Germany/Japan and be very glad that the US had the A bomb to prevent Stalin rolling over Western Europe.

PS for the poster concerned about IndoChina, they didn't exactly fare much better under the treatment they received from the Imperial Japanese Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

" britian the nation that likes to pump itself up with the conceited lies that it alone defeated Germany in WW2 " - :D:D:D

" britian the nation that likes to pump itself up with the conceited lies that it alone defeated Germany in WW2 " - :D:D:D

more constructive ****e I see.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

jmayo wrote: »
    Lets simplify and bring it down to basics.

Why simplify it? The OP asked was it good v evil or evil v evil, not are you glad the Germans was beaten and that Russia with minimal help from the west destroyed them.

Start up a seperate thread if you want to discuss the joy of Britain "winning" the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why simplify it? The OP asked was it good v evil or evil v evil, not are you glad the Germans was beaten and that Russia with minimal help from the west destroyed them.

Start up a seperate thread if you want to discuss the joy of Britain "winning" the war.

Two things here:
    - It wasn't Russia back then, but Soviet Union. And it wasn't Russians, as a nation, but Soviet nations, ie. Uzbeks, Russians, Tartars, Georgians and many many others...
    - And try to get some facts on the help of "western" allies to the Red Army. You might be surprised how dependant the Soviets were on their help. I would think, that 70% of all vehicles used by the Red Army were made in the USA. quite a few armoured brigades of the Red Army were equipped totaly with Shermans...

From the other hand eastern front was the butchers yard of the WWII in the Europe. Nobody argue with that here.
    But Americans were bleeding in the Pacific fighting Japanese, while Soviets were taking second seat there.

So, my point is:
    Red Army did defeat the Wehrmacht, but not alone. Hope we can agree on that?

Why simplify it? The allies won, the world is undoubtedly a better place for it. Maybe if Britain were not involved you would see it that way. Lets face it, all those involved had chequered colonial pasts, but only one side wanted the extermination of all those that did not match their ideals.

Was it good V Evil? maybe not, maybe right v wrong is a better way to put it. As for indo china, yes, I'm sure they are a lot happier than they would have been under Japanese rule.

Your chip on shoulder is showing :rolleyes:

Did I ever say the UK and USA defeated Germany or Japan on their own ?
    The USA provided aid to keep Britain afloat and then provided aid to USSR.
    The Uk and it's comonwealth (ANZACs, India, Canada, South Africa) forces kept peppering away, sometimes very unsucessfully, at both the Germans and Japs.
    The USSR provided the manpower to soak up much of the German war machine on the Eastern front. Their losses were colosal and probably a level that the USA or UK could not afford to lose.

The reason I said we should simply bring it back to basics is because this like a lot of other threads has degenerated into knocking the USA or Uk by some posters who have major chips on their shoulders.

Yes both of those countires have been involved in some real dirty wars and they have done things that were/are appalling to other peoples, races and countries.
    But in WWII they were ffing boy scouts in comparison to the methods used by the Axis forces in particular and indeed the USSR.

To fight regimes like Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan you sometimes have to get down and dirty with them and that's what the Allies had to to do.

Your chip on shoulder is showing :rolleyes:

The Uk and it's comonwealth (ANZACs, India, Canada, South Africa) forces kept peppering away, sometimes very unsucessfully, at both the Germans and Japs.
    The USSR provided the manpower to soak up much of the German war machine on the Eastern front. Their losses were colosal and probably a level that the USA or UK could not afford to lose.

The reason I said we should simply bring it back to basics is because this like a lot of other threads has degenerated into knocking the USA or Uk by some posters who have major chips on their shoulders.

Yes both of those countires have been involved in some real dirty wars and they have done things that were/are appalling to other peoples, races and countries.
    But in WWII they were ffing boy scouts in comparison to the methods used by the Axis forces in particular and indeed the USSR.

To fight regimes like Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan you sometimes have to get down and dirty with them and that's what the Allies had to to.

But I will keep hammering this point we should be damm glad that UK and USA did come into war.
    Otherwise we might have had situation where Western Europe was either being run by Nazi Germany or a Stalinist USSR.

Why simplify it? The allies won, the world is undoubtedly a better place for it. Maybe if Britain were not involved you would see it that way. Lets face it, all those involved had chequered colonial pasts, but only one side wanted the extermination of all those that did not match their ideals.

Was it good V Evil? maybe not, maybe right v wrong is a better way to put it. As for indo china, yes, I'm sure they are a lot happier than they would have been under Japanese rule

Is the world a better place? I mean look at whats going on in the Middle East, Isreal killing Palestinians, America constantly getting ivolved in world affairs and making things worse, China's oppression of Tibet and Taiwon, Turkey's war with the Kurds, Saddam Hussein, Bin laden, George Bush, Condaleza Rice, Al Qieda, War, Famine, Poverty, Destruction of Earth and of course the threat of Nuclear War. I'm not saying that the German's would not have been any better because let's face, it is a better world but the world didn't really change for the better. The Kymer Rouge in Cambodia killed more then Germany did in the Killing Fields, they're right up there with Japan and Russia.

But in WWII they were ffing boy scouts in comparison to the methods used by the Axis forces in particular and indeed the USSR

Like i siad before it was a discussion about whether the motives of both sides were for good or for bad, did the Western Allies really care about Poland or Czech Republic, did they care about Austria or did they just care about themselves because they saw Germany rising to power and were scared. America for it's part could haver easily beaten Japan without the use of the Atomic Bomb but instead it dropped two and in the process caused the creration of weapons of mass destruction which ironically are trying to stop now.

BTW USA had no problem beaten Germany they only lost 100,000 compared 4 Million and Russia fought back, the only people that Germany would have conquered was Europe and i'm sure they'd have been beaten by USA and Russia so the idea of Nazis running the world now is quite off

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Is the world a better place? I mean look at whats going on in the Middle East, Isreal killing Palestinians, America constantly getting ivolved in world affairs and making things worse, China's oppression of Tibet and Taiwon, Turkey's war with the Kurds, Saddam Hussein, Bin laden, George Bush, Condaleza Rice, Al Qieda, War, Famine, Poverty, Destruction of Earth and of course the threat of Nuclear War. I'm not saying that the German's would not have been any better because let's face, it is a better world but the world didn't really change for the better.

Well it worked out better for most people in Europe which is where the biggest battleground was.
    Ok it took sometime to eliminate Communismin in the East.
    China isn't oppressing Taiwan, they just don't recongnise them and they try to lean on them but they kwow they dare not attack.

Ehh Turkey's war with Kurds is internal with their only worry that Kurds get independence in Northen Iraq and unite with Kurds within their border.
    The Kymer Rouge in Cambodia killed more then Germany did in the Killing Fields, they're right up there with Japan and Russia.

Where the sh*** did you get that from?
    Do you see the death camps, concentration camps as figments of imagination?
    Who bloody killed most of the Soviets approx. 20 million casualities, the Finns ?
    Yes the Khmer Rouge killed their own people but so did Germany.
    Like i siad before it was a discussion about whether the motives of both sides were for good or for bad, did the Western Allies really care about Poland or Czech Republic, did they care about Austria or did they just care about themselves because they saw Germany rising to power and were scared. America for it's part could haver easily beaten Japan without the use of the Atomic Bomb but instead it dropped two and in the process caused the creration of weapons of mass destruction which ironically are trying to stop now.

Why the fu** would they care about Austria, they were pro Germany and ended up fighting with Germany :mad:
    One third of Waffen SS were Austrian. They still elect Nazis for God's sake.

AFAIK actually Churchhill did care a hell of alot more about Eastern Europe than Roosevelt. He pushed for the Italian front and also wanted to go through Balkans.
    All Stalin wanted was them to commit to Western Front through France and leave the East to him.

Of course they cared about themselves. Every country has to look out for it's own interests.
    Americans never like to take large casualties, as in Okinawa and thus they opted to drop atomic weapon.
    Japan would not have surrendered easily and the loss of life would have been huge both to Japan and to USA if conventional campaign was mounted.
    Also I believe it proved deterrent to USSR and Stalin.

So the Americans shouldn't have bothered inventing or devleoping the Atomic bomb?
    The worry was that the Germans woudl get their first and do you think Hitler would have refrained from using atomic weapons if he had them?
    BTW USA had no problem beaten Germany they only lost 100,000 compared 4 Million and Russia fought back, the only people that Germany would have conquered was Europe and i'm sure they'd have been beaten by USA and Russia so the idea of Nazis running the world now is quite off

Jeeze of course the USA only lost small amount compared to other nations.
    Were they bombed or invaded unlike European countries ?

So what if USA did not enter war, Hitler defeats Uk or at least gets them to sign armistice that effectively sidelines them.
    Either way UK don't have resources to bomb him relentlessly or invade mainland Europe.

Then he has at it with USSR with the winner ruling Europe.
    Neither is nice prospect in my eyes.
    How would USA have beaten either USSR or Nazi Germany if they did not have foothold in Europe i.e. UK ?

Again USA and UK were not angels but the what ifs could have been a lot worse for us and I mean Ireland when I say that.

• Advertisement

Who bloody killed most of the Soviets approx. 20 million casualities, the Finns ?

I'm quite aware of the Nazi death camps but Britain and France are guilty of this too, Britain of course were the first to bring out interment camps

Who killed the bloody soviets was your question. I would say Stalin killed the bloody soviets, he actually killed somewhere between 60 and 70 million Russians by the time of his death. Your point being

Why the fu** would they care about Austria, they were pro Germany and ended up fighting with Germany mad.gif

AFAIK actually Churchhill did care a hell of alot more about Eastern Europe than Roosevelt. He pushed for the Italian front and also wanted to go through Balkans.
    All Stalin wanted was them to commit to Western Front through France and leave the East to him.

Of course they cared about themselves. Every country has to look out for it's own interests.
    Americans never like to take large casualties, as in Okinawa and thus they opted to drop atomic weapon.
    Japan would not have surrendered easily and the loss of life would have been huge both to Japan and to USA if conventional campaign was mounted.

So the Americans shouldn't have bothered inventing or devleoping the Atomic bomb?
    The worry was that the Germans woudl get their first and do you think Hitler would have refrained from using atomic weapons if he had them?

You're right i don't care about Austria, what i do care about is why Britain and France weren't suspicious of Germany gaining all this territory without a supposed Army, maybe if Britain had acted at that time they might have made some progress but they didn't

You say America were right to drop the atom bomb beause it would reduce the cassualties of BOTH Americans and Japanese, i can really only count the American, while the Japanese lives who are still suffering to this day, well the remaining, and as for USA well all i can say is they had a better chance of reducing the casssualties by invading Japan then they would by dropping two atomic bombs on it. Oh and yes it did prove to be a deterrent against the Soviets for about 4 years

You do know theres a difference between getting there before the nazis and being there after the nazis. the bomb was invented in 1945, Germany had pretty much lost the war by then meaning the worry that Germany would create it's own was over, however as i mentioned above they didn't have to drop the thing on Japan so cruely, maybe if they had warned Japan beforehand they would have got a better surrender, or maybe they should have dropped a third one on Russia and killed more innocent Russia leaving the total of Russian killed between Lenin era and Stalins death to be about maybe 90 or 100 million considering 80 million had died during the times between Lenin and Stalin. I know it wasn't really relevant i stop now

Was it good V Evil? maybe not, maybe right v wrong is a better way to put it. As for indo china, yes, I'm sure they are a lot happier than they would have been under Japanese rule.

If Britain, France and the league of nations had got the finger out after Germany's march into the Rhineland the whole war could've been avoided. So its hard to see the Allies in a good light when they repeatedly bowed to Germany's demands. In more ways than one, The Allies were as responsible or moreso than Germany for WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

FiSe wrote: »
    Plans are made every time and all the time. And there probably was a plan what Ireland should do in that case, I believe, that Britain would play big role in this scenario.
    In my opinion, I can't imagine Germany to invade any country from the sea. With nonexistent Navy to supply and transport troops and equipment. With nonexistent top cover to ensure their safety...
    I think that all the talk about Germany's seaborn operations are belogning to the same book as flying saucepans and transatlantic bombers. There were plans to build them and put them into service, but it was impossible to do it. /I know, I know.../

Eh "The Bismarck" was a hell of a ship. Sank the "HMS Hood", the Royal Navy’s pride and joy. I know that it was sunk fairly quickly but goes to show Germany could build a ship. Their navy wasn't too bad at all.

I wouldn't go that far. Hood was an upgraded WWI battlecruiser, hardly the cutting edge of the British fleet. You would expect that she would lose to a ship some twenty years her junior. (That said, the loss of Hood was a fluke shot, which any ship could have gotten).

Bismarck herself was not exactly the bleeding edge of Battleship technology. She was huge, she was fast, but that's about where her benefits ended. She just happened to be the biggest thing the Germans had, with Tirpitz.

That said, Norway was invaded from the sea. Then again, though the invasion force was quite satisfactory for dealing with the Norwegian military, it was hardly a match for the Home Fleet.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

It was discussed above before....

Totally agree with you Manic about Bismarck and Hood, both ships were turned into supercruisers by propaganda. But that's way off topic :rolleyes:

I'm quite aware of the Nazi death camps but Britain and France are guilty of this too, Britain of course were the first to bring out interment camps

Who killed the bloody soviets was your question. I would say Stalin killed the bloody soviets, he actually killed somewhere between 60 and 70 million Russians by the time of his death. Your point being

Why the fu** would they care about Austria, they were pro Germany and ended up fighting with Germany mad.gif

You're right i don't care about Austria, what i do care about is why Britain and France weren't suspicious of Germany gaining all this territory without a supposed Army, maybe if Britain had acted at that time they might have made some progress but they didn't

You say America were right to drop the atom bomb beause it would reduce the cassualties of BOTH Americans and Japanese, i can really only count the American, while the Japanese lives who are still suffering to this day, well the remaining, and as for USA well all i can say is they had a better chance of reducing the casssualties by invading Japan then they would by dropping two atomic bombs on it. Oh and yes it did prove to be a deterrent against the Soviets for about 4 years

You do know theres a difference between getting there before the nazis and being there after the nazis. the bomb was invented in 1945, Germany had pretty much lost the war by then meaning the worry that Germany would create it's own was over, however as i mentioned above they didn't have to drop the thing on Japan so cruely, maybe if they had warned Japan beforehand they would have got a better surrender, or maybe they should have dropped a third one on Russia and killed more innocent Russia leaving the total of Russian killed between Lenin era and Stalins death to be about maybe 90 or 100 million considering 80 million had died during the times between Lenin and Stalin. I know it wasn't really relevant i stop now

Riddle you conveniently just nitpick my arguments.
    You have come up with some surprising statements during this thread.
    A while back you stated the Khmer Rouge were worse than the Nazis but then when I call you on it you ignore that point.
    It seems Stalin is responsilbe for all the Soviet dead.
    Stalin did kill millions of citizens of the USSR including family members and inlaws, but the invading German forces and their subsequent push back to Germany resulted in another 20 odd million dying so stop trying to massage those figures into the entire number he had executed or deported to gulags.

You also mention the French and British had internment camps or rather death camps. I don't think you will find anything in history to rival what the Germans and their cohorts put together to systematically exterminate certain peoples based on political believe, race and/or religion.
    And yes I know about the concentration camp concept developed by the British in South Africa.

Did I ask whether you care about the Austrians ?
    I had countered with why should the Allied countries care about Austria not you.
    I could say it seems now they don't even care about their own citizens but that's another argument.

During the 1930s a lot of people both in France and Britain ala Chamberlain, misguidly thought that Hitler would be staisfied with a form of limited expansion.
    Yes they sold out the Czechs to try and appease him.
    They thought that by apeasing him they would prevent a second European war.
    You seem to forget both of these countries lost an entire generation of young men in the trenches in WWI. Take a trip around samll rural French villages or visit a country chruch in England to see the war dead lists.
    They didn't want war.
    Saying that, people like Churchhill were sounding off about Hitler for years and saw the writing on the wall.

You seem to believe that the causalites the US got duing Okinawa etc would not happen during invasion of home islands of Japan and so they should have carried out conventional invasion.
    BTW the aim of a side during a war is to win and not take too many casualties but maybe it is different in your world.

You also seem to believe that because the Nazis were affectively beaten by 1945 they should have stopped development of the atomic bomb.
    You know they just didn't turn up one day in 1945 and hey presto Ferri and guys came up with the Bomb. They had been working on it for years and it was finished during mid 1945.

Then you have some weird notion that they how they should have maybe telegramed Tojo and asked him to watch out for a big mushroom cloud on the southern horizon becuse they were going to give display of their new weapon.
    Yeah right he would then surrender unconditionally.
    The one question i would have is was it necessary to drop a second or was it just to prove that they had the capability and it wasn't a fluke.

I have never agreed with and have always condemmed what US did in Vietnam, Central America, South America, Iraq or through their proxy dictatorships in Africa.
    Likewise I would not agree with what Britain did all the years before WWII or after WWII in the likes of Kenya or Ireland.

But the one thing I will give them their dues for is the fact they probably made my live possible in this country by standing against both the twin treaths of European fascism and communism during 1940s.

Maybe Riddle you should take a trip to the likes of Auswitz and then you will see where I am coming from.

Riddle you conveniently just nitpick my arguments.
    You have come up with some surprising statements during this thread.
    A while back you stated the Khmer Rouge were worse than the Nazis but then when I call you on it you ignore that point.
    It seems Stalin is responsilbe for all the Soviet dead.
    Stalin did kill millions of citizens of the USSR including family members and inlaws, but the invading German forces and their subsequent push back to Germany resulted in another 20 odd million dying so stop trying to massage those figures into the entire number he had executed or deported to gulags.

I am only pointing out that as Allies to UK and US, Russia did pretty much the same as Germany, are you saying that both armies are no different to one another, Russia also exterminated jews as well, and yea the Germans did kill 20 Million but maybe you should look at what Russia did to Germany after WW2m those the Berlin Wall not justify something the Germans believe.
    During the 1930s a lot of people both in France and Britain ala Chamberlain, misguidly thought that Hitler would be staisfied with a form of limited expansion.
    Yes they sold out the Czechs to try and appease him.
    They thought that by apeasing him they would prevent a second European war.
    You seem to forget both of these countries lost an entire generation of young men in the trenches in WWI. Take a trip around samll rural French villages or visit a country chruch in England to see the war dead lists.
    They didn't want war.
    Saying that, people like Churchhill were sounding off about Hitler for years and saw the writing on the wall

Yes Britain and France do seem to naive, i mean to think that a country that had suffered their wrath at the end of WWI and were forbidden to build their army, could simply be trusted. Also you seem to think that Britain and France lost lives, what about the German's who lost their lives aswell or the Italians and the Russians, you have to look at things from all angles for that perspective
    You seem to believe that the causalites the US got duing Okinawa etc would not happen during invasion of home islands of Japan and so they should have carried out conventional invasion.
    BTW the aim of a side during a war is to win and not take too many casualties but maybe it is different in your world.

Why do you assume that there were going to be more cassulties made in a conventional war then the Atomic Bomb. I mean do you know the effects of an Atomic Bomb, at least with a gun you can put someone out of his misery in a second, Japan suffered dearly, as for USA well they just plain forgot about Japan's pain and ignored them, trying to make themselves out to be heros rather then animals like the Nazis
    Then you have some weird notion that they how they should have maybe telegramed Tojo and asked him to watch out for a big mushroom cloud on the southern horizon becuse they were going to give display of their new weapon.
    Yeah right he would then surrender unconditionally.
    The one question i would have is was it necessary to drop a second or was it just to prove that they had the capability and it wasn't a fluke.

When i said they should have warned Japan, i didn't mean right after they dropped the bomb, i meant that they should have warned them that if they continued with the war and didn't surrender until a certain date then they would drop the bombs, i think anyone under pressure like that would have done the smart thing a surrendered
    But the one thing I will give them their dues for is the fact they probably made my live possible in this country by standing against both the twin treaths of European fascism and communism during 1940s.

Made a stand but didn't defeat them, Spain and Portugal were still Facist and well Russia, China and Cuba all stayed Communists, Cuba are still communist today, oh and they pretty much turned Asia into communists with the campaigns suring thr 1950's-80's.
    Maybe Riddle you should take a trip to the likes of Auswitz and then you will see where I am coming from.

I never said the Nazis were good did i, i;'m simply stating that i don't believe the Allies were of a good cause either, I'm quite aware of the terrors of Auswitz and it is a sickening place even to stand in.

P.S I didn't say that the Kymer Rough were worse then the Nazis in and older comment it was said that the world turned out to be a better place when that is clearly just as bad as the Nazis version and i stated the Kymer Rouge to point out how bad the world turned out to be even after the Nazis, other regimes took Hitler's place like the Kymer Rouge.

Why do you assume that there were going to be more cassulties made in a conventional war then the Atomic Bomb. I mean do you know the effects of an Atomic Bomb, at least with a gun you can put someone out of his misery in a second,

The casualties caused by the two atom bombs (including the non-lethal ones) tended to be focused in just those two areas. To put it in perspective At 20kt, they were half the power of an 8" artillery-delivered nuke (W-33)from the cold war. The vast majority of Japan was unaffected by the blasts or the radiation. Were a conventional occupation and invasion of the Home Islands to take place, the devastation would be nationwide. Estimates of civilian casualties on Okinawa alone were higher than the casualties caused by Nagasaki (Including those years after 1945) Imagine that on a national scale.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just for the lads who are intent on knocking Britain, let's not forget the IRA wanted to do business with the Nazi's, so please get off your high horses.

I don't think anyone who has studied WW2 thinks either side was really "good", as with any war, it's one bad side fighting a worse side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

And let's not forget that Britain were the first ones to introduce concentration camps.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement