Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jing Gong Steyr AUG (Civilian) advice

Options
  • 14-01-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking to buy Jing Gong Steyr AUG (Civilian).
    I am planning to use it for skirmish. Been a clone I am not sure how long this aeg will last.
    Any advise from people using it for a long time?
    How does it survive trial by time?

Also what mag's are you using and happy with?

Advise very much apreciated.
    Buri

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nenagh_lad

Hey,

I have looked this gun up... and as it states 350fps out of the box , and using standard .2g pellets, This gun would be just over the legal limit at 1.1 J . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Hmmm don't have one myself, did you read this? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055166644 May help...If not sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

nenagh_lad wrote: »
    Hey,

I have looked this gun up... and as it states 350fps out of the box , and using standard .2g pellets, This gun would be just over the legal limit at 1.1 J . .

I would guess he bought it from an Irish retailer who do not sell any airsoft markers over 1J. Sometimes you will find exagerrated claims of power from foreign websites also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Hey,

It states that on the box, but it shoots at about 320 FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Its a good gun, well made and solid with a good range. Ya might have a problem with semi auto though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 nenagh_lad

Well,

I have looked at about 4 reviews of this gun and they all say it shotts at around 345 out of the box .. :confused:

Well,

I have looked at about 4 reviews of this gun and they all say it shotts at around 345 out of the box .. :confused:

I've sold a fair few of them and they've all been at the 320 mark.

The thing about clones is, the power output can vary wildly....what's printed on the box should be taken with a pinch of salt. I'd only trust the manufacturers specs on the high end stuff...CA, TM, G&G, ICS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Hey nenagh, Uncle Shiva doesn't sell anything over Joule

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

My JG G36 fired +6000 rounds without any problems, then I had a tiny amount of difficulty with semi, something to do with the selector plate I'd imagine, then the gearbox started grinding and I (still) have to fix that, for the money though, it's well worth it.

I will buy JG again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is 320 the actual limit? My CMYA Thompson was supposed to be 350 but I know a few of us have it. I'm looking at a gun that's listed at 350 but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

328 is the limit, if you buy a 350fps aeg it can get tested by customs/cops anf it will be destroyed if its found to be illegal.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

When I was buying one of my airsoft bits of kit it was a gas powered and
    I was worried that it may have gone slightly over the limit due to temperature etc.

When ordering I ordered a bag of heavier .25g BB's that were put into the same package.
    That way if it was tested there was a chance that whoever tested it would use the
    heavier BB's and that would be enough to keep it well below the 1j mark.

I'd LOVE to know when they DO get tested is there a standard BB weight that
    they use.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Jay TLR

I have the military version, but power-wise it's the same gun. I chrono'ed it yesterday at 300fps(it needed a clean). It was chrono'ed at 320fps at HRTA before Christmas after a good clean. It's NEVER shot above 320fps and I got mine from Shiva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

bullets wrote: »
    I was worried that it may have gone slightly over the limit due to temperature etc.

When ordering I ordered a bag of heavier .25g BB's that were put into the same package.
    That way if it was tested there was a chance that whoever tested it would use the

they use.

~B
    Nice idea. But it dosn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have 2 JG and one CA Hi-cap. The Quality in the JGs is 90% of the CA and they are much cheaper. And the JGs black looks much better IMO.

im trying to resist buying an AUG because of how fugly they are but they seem to outclass the M4s and G36s ect on range and ROF. I like the military one more than the civvie but its not leftie friendly.,

You can get star mags in a box set of like 10.
    But WGC don't stock them (assuming star even make them).

JG do a 6 pack, €10 each for 300rnd Hi-Caps. WGC

King Arms do almost the same, a little more expensive but low-cap. WGC again

Yeah, reloading is fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

vtec wrote: »
    im trying to resist buying an AUG because of how fugly they are but they seem to outclass the M4s and G36s ect on range and ROF. I like the military one more than the civvie but its not leftie friendly.,

Steyr AUGS arent ugly! :rolleyes: Far from it, now the FAMAS, THATS ugly......in fact its the definition of ugly, such a heavy looking, over the top looking beast of a thing compared to the simplistic curves, lines and miminalism of the AUG :D

The AUG can be used both left and right, no issues there, you can flip the safety around so that it operates easier from the other side and the cocking handle is of no practical use (besides adjusting the hop up).

So go get an AUG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

they use.

~B

increasing the weight of the bb will not affect the power output of the aeg, 1 Joule is always going to be one joule

NOW EVERYONE READ THIS AND MAKE NOTE
    The charter absolutely and explicitly bans methods of circumventing customs testing and the 1 Joule law, there is to absolutely no discussion of this, there are no exceptions, this will be dealt with very heavy handedly, anyone that attempts to break the law as such can be reported by us to the relevant authorities, and make no mistake, I will not hesitate in doing so and you will be prosecuted for it. I will not have all the progress that airsoft has made in this past year destroyed by the selfish few who cannot obey the rules.

Bullets: I know you are a regular poster here, but you should know better than to post something like that

kdouglas wrote: »
    increasing the weight of the bb will not affect the power output of the aeg, 1 Joule is always going to be one joule

NOW EVERYONE READ THIS AND MAKE NOTE
    The charter absolutely and explicitly bans methods of circumventing customs testing and the 1 Joule law, there is to absolutely no discussion of this, there are no exceptions, this will be dealt with very heavy handedly, anyone that attempts to break the law as such can be reported by us to the relevant authorities, and make no mistake, I will not hesitate in doing so and you will be prosecuted for it. I will not have all the progress that airsoft has made in this past year destroyed by the selfish few who cannot obey the rules.

Bullets: I know you are a regular poster here, but you should know better than to post something like that

I did not mean my post to come across like that.

I was also assuming that if they did test it they would be using a the figure of
    328fps to see if it was over or under 1j and if a BB went over that they would destroy the equipment.
    depending on what weight BB they used while testing it the results
    would vary even if the said airsoft product was still 1j of power.

My product that I ordered was modified to be Under 1J
    And I got a letter from the Company to declare to Customs that it WAS under 1J
    but there was no 100% guarantee with gas because of the nature of it.
    I was just trying to be Extra extra safe not trying to break the law.
    my heavier BB's I was ordering anyway as it was the AW338.

If you go by the notion that 1J of power is 1J of power regardless
    of the weight of the BB then surely that means if you had a Lighter
    BB and it pushed the fps up past 400 then it would be perfectly legal
    or am I wrong ?

~B

• Advertisement

I did not mean my post to come across like that.

I was also assuming that if they did test it they would be using a the figure of
    328fps and if a BB went over that they would destroy the equipment.
    depending on what weight BB they used while testing it the results
    would vary even if the said airsoft product was still 1j of power.

My product that I ordered was modified to be Under 1J
    And I got a letter from the Company to declare to Customs that it WAS under 1J
    but there was no 100% guarantee with gas because of the nature of it.
    I was just trying to be Extra extra safe not trying to break the law.
    my heavier BB's I was ordering anyway as it was the AW338.

~B

I know the one you got was indeed downgraded to 1 Joule, but your mixing up the physics

328fps is 1 Joule ONLY with a 0.2g bb

if you use a 0.25g bb instead, the fps require to exert 1 Joule is only about 290-300fps

the measurement that is important is the 1 Joule

by assuming they will measure based on 328fps also assumes they will not take into account the weight of the projectile they are using for testing purposes therefore implying that you could buy a 500fps gun and get it shipped with very heavy weight bbs thus bringing the fps down to or below 328fps, but again, customs/garda testing will always measure the Joule energy (fps&weight), and not just the fps on it's own

If you go by the notion that 1J of power is 1J of power regardless
    of the weight of the BB then surely that means if you had a Lighter
    BB and it pushed the fps up past 400 then it would be perfectly legal
    or am I wrong ?

~B

You're right. A lot of people assume FPS to be the be-all and end-all. Its not. FPS does not equal energy, its merely a component part of what makes up the energy. A heavier BB will travel slower when shot at 1 joule, but it will still be 1 joule.

1 joule is 1 joule, regardless of whether its a .2g BB traveling at 328 FPS, a .25g BB traveling at 294 FPS, or a .12g BB traveling at 425 FPS.

kdouglas wrote: »
    by assuming they will measure based on 328fps also assumes they will not take into account the weight of the projectile they are using for testing purposes therefore implying that you could buy a 500fps gun and get it shipped with very heavy weight bbs thus bringing the fps down to or below 328fps, but again, customs/garda testing will always measure the Joule energy (fps&weight), and not just the fps on it's own

I see, that I reckon is something thats going to catch a lot of people out.
    as lots of people (up until now including myself) always seems to mention
    that magic number 328 :eek: assuming if its under that its fine

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

You can get star mags in a box set of like 10.
    But WGC don't stock them (assuming star even make them).

JG do a 6 pack, €10 each for 300rnd Hi-Caps. WGC

King Arms do almost the same, a little more expensive but low-cap. WGC again

Yeah, reloading is fun :D

How good JG Hi-cap mags would be? missfeeding and stuff....?
    The only other manufacturer I see making mags for AUG is King Arms. Are they any good.
    (I exclude CA and TM)

the reason for that is that the de facto standard that all retailers adhere to is stating the fps in conjunction with a 0.2g bb

anyway, this is awfully off-topic, so back to the JG Steyr

The AUG can be used both left and right, no issues there, you can flip the safety around so that it operates easier from the other side and the cocking handle is of no practical use (besides adjusting the hop up).

So go get an AUG :D

The Civie one is ambidextrous but the better looking military one isnt sue to the scope mount thingy.,
    i agree on the famas though.,lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

one thing about the civ aug id tell you to do is, get a lo cap mag ASAP. the mag that comes with the jg aug isnt worth a **** to you, its a hi cap and its ****ing useless. you can fill the damn thing full and itll spit out a few rounds and thats it, it just stops firing. Aside fromt hat its a lovely gun, nice weight to it and looks great, but youll need a scope and a lo cap mag IMO.
    Personally, id rate the FAMAS alot higher than the aug, my famas is more reliable and shoots straighter

FAMAS rules, Aug drools.

Why is my taste in guns the inverse of everyone elses........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Because it's about time to up your meds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

FAMAS rules, Aug drools.

Why is my taste in guns the inverse of everyone elses........

o/

famas FTW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement