Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tea 'healthier' drink than water

Options
  • 24-12-2007 6:39am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5281046.stm

Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers. The work in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition dispels the common belief that tea dehydrates. Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

If this is true, I must be one of the healthiest people in the country!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Noice, not that I believe much of what them people in the white coats say. Just finished a cup and will have another before I hit the leaba *sips hot cup of Lyons with Jaffa cake on the side* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hmmph, wouldnt touch a cuppa lyons straight after awking up from a cupla bottles of JD... i need lidl's watery orange juice to help me then...but after that, tis lyons ftw!

in fact, given my imminent emigration, i've demanded lyon's teabags and TK fizzy orange for xmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I think if you load up your cuppa with sugar, full fat milk and a biscuit on the side, you're probably going to be undoing any benefit of the tea. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

damnit teeth, I was feeling good about myself for a minute there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I had this exact conversation with my mother yesterday. She said tea is good for you, as good as water. (I drink loads of water, she drinks loads of tea.) I told her that because the tannin slows down the absorption of calcium and iron (LC Home Ec, don't care if I'm wrong!) that she's really losing out by drinking tea straight after dinner. Then I told her that I'd be the one laughing when she has anemia and osteoporosis and I have lovely skin.

I don't think I'll be getting many presents for Christmas this year! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Correct me if I'm wrong but, are you sure they're not talking about green tea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

monosharp wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, are you sure they're not talking about green tea ?

I kinda thought that too. I don't think they're talkin about Lyons anyway! :p

Tea is good for you if you drink it made from tea leaves, not so much if ya drink it with milk and sugar and accompanied by half a pack of biscuits...but it tastes so much better that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Green tea maybe. Normal tea is quite bad for you actually. It's very high in tannin which inhibits the body's ability to absorb minerals and can cause bowel, kidney and liver problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The Tea Council provided funding for the work. Dr Ruxton stressed that the work was independent.

hmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

TEArific results if you drink a lot of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

There is a tea council. Whatever next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I never understood the appeal of tea. I've never bothered to drink the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Caffeine is not good for you though... so decaf tea or herbal/green teas would be pretty good for you.
    Any of the ones (most of them) with anti-oxidants and no caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Saruman wrote: »
    Caffeine is not good for you though... so decaf tea or herbal/green teas would be pretty good for you.
    Any of the ones (most of them) with anti-oxidants and no caffeine.

Green tea has lots of caffeine, half a cup of coffee much more than a cuppa tea ;)

But it has lots of other good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

??? Green tea has no caffeine:rolleyes:

Well some have caffeine but much less than coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They have a Tea Party in Boston every 500 years. It's so big and so many people turn up that instead of putting the Tea into pots they have to...

...oh, never mind. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Saruman wrote: »
    ??? Green tea has no caffeine:rolleyes:

Well some have caffeine but much less than coffee

all green teas have caffeine. it has less than coffee but not necessarily ordinary tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Green teas generally have half the caffeine of normal tea afaik. Normal tea generally has half the caffeine as brewed coffee, or the same caffeine content as instant coffee.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

generally too much tea is bad for you. However i think that its more to do with the comparison with coffee, which doesnt have the rehydrating affects of tea.

tea FTW! Coffee is acceptable to drink to a limit, but i draw the line there. Lattes, espressos, mocha, cappucinos are for losers, fans of friends, and bulls**tters!! If you dont believe me, then ask Denis leary! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you drink your tea with milk then the milk neutralises all the good stuff, so its only milk free tea cups that count

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But if you put brown sauce in your tea and a few skittles, it actually builds muscle and strips down body fat, counteracting the milk, which was counteracting the, er, tea bag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just don't use the blue skittles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    There is a tea council. Whatever next.
    A tea forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=929

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

faceman wrote: »
    But if you put brown sauce in your tea and a few skittles, it actually builds muscle and strips down body fat, counteracting the milk, which was counteracting the, er, tea bag

It won't work. I couldn't get even one skittle into my cup, which is just as well, coz the kids left them out in the garden since July and they're all covered in muck and slugs (the skittles, not the kids). I'm deffo not drinking it with just the brown sauce. Can I use something else a bit like skittles, like plastic chess pieces? Though how will this help the taste of the brown sauce? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just drink the brown sauce separately. It all gets mixed up in your stomach in the end.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I just thought of an idea to improve the health of the nation.

Anyone who wants in, fill a van up with teabags and meet me at the resevoir at midnight.

Slow coach wrote: »
    It won't work. I couldn't get even one skittle into my cup, which is just as well, coz the kids left them out in the garden since July and they're all covered in muck and slugs (the skittles, not the kids). I'm deffo not drinking it with just the brown sauce. Can I use something else a bit like skittles, like plastic chess pieces? Though how will this help the taste of the brown sauce? :confused:

Maybe starburst mixed with M&Ms might work.... maybe...

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I just thought of an idea to improve the health of the nation.

Anyone who wants in, fill a van up with teabags and meet me at the resevoir at midnight.

Mrs Doyle says, "Go on! Go on!, Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!,Go on! Go on!"

Go on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

*goes on*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

If this is remotely true - it's great news for me then. Averaging 7+ cups a day here. Lyons ftw lads :)

Advertisement