Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian in either rush or skerries

Options
  • 22-01-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where exactly the Indian is in Skerries?
    Does anyone have the phone number of it? (It's not listed in golden pages)

Also, has anyone been to the new indian in rush?

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coll wrote:
    Can anyone tell me where exactly the Indian is in Skerries?
    Does anyone have the phone number of it? (It's not listed in golden pages)
    Shiva, 85 Strand Street. Tel. 8106060 http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Skerries/Shiva.aspx
    coll wrote:
    Also, has anyone been to the new indian in rush?
    Didn't think it had opened yet! I must check when I'm passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Coll - Did you get any grub from Shiva? What did you think?
    In my humble opinion - it is not particularly good & the owner being a right sour-faced tosser doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I think the one in rush (oposite the Euro Spar) has opened, or is on the verge of doing so. Anyone got an update...and do they do take-aways?

catch--22 wrote:
    I think the one in rush (oposite the Euro Spar) has opened, or is on the verge of doing so. Anyone got an update...and do they do take-aways?
    According to Mrs Wishbone Ash, it's open and it does takeaways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

No haven't tried either of them yet.
    So the one in Skerries isn't that good?

Anyone tried the one in Rush yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is one in Balbriggan,that does take out but its food is nothing to get excited about:(
    The staff are polite and firendly though.

I miss having a local indian takeaway and restaurant:(

I think that Garam Masala (01 690 4714) in Balbriggan is the best of a bad lot locally TBH. Indie Spice in Swords (01 8077999) is good.

If you fancy making your own curry - here's a spicy little number:

Fiery lamb curry

As the name suggests, this is a very hot dish, not for people with a weak constitution. This is one of the few Indian dishes that contains heat in every sense - both 'chilli hot' and 'spice hot'. You can decide the amount of heat you'd like. Discard most of the seeds from the chillies if you want to reduce the heat, or keep them in if you want it really hot.
    Serves 4

25-35 dried red chillies, stalks removed
    11/2 tsp cloves
    150g ghee or vegetable oil
    250g plain yogurt, whisked until smooth
    2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
    20g ground coriander
    1 tsp red chilli powder
    2 tsp salt
    3 cinnamon leaves or bay leaves
    6 green cardamom pods
    5 black cardamom pods
    75g garlic cloves, finely chopped
    250g onions, finely chopped
    1kg leg of lamb or goat with bone chopped into 2.5cm cubes
    750ml lamb stock or water
    30g coriander leaves, finely chopped

Set aside 3 or 4 of the dried chillies to use later; put the remainder to soak in 125ml water. Also put aside 4-6 of the cloves and 1 tbs of the ghee. Mix the yogurt with the cumin seeds, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
    Heat the rest of the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the remaining cloves, the cinnamon leaves and the green and black cardamoms. When they begin to crackle and change colour, add the garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the garlic begins to turn golden. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Stir in the meat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain the red chillies and add to the pan.
    Continue cooking for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the meat starts to brown. Now add the spiced yogurt and cook for another 10-12 minutes or until the liquid from the yogurt has evaporated. Add the stock or water and bring to the boil, then cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Check the seasoning. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
    To prepare the tadka, or tempering, which boosts the flavours, heat up the reserved ghee or oil in a large ladle over a flame (or in a small pan) and add the reserved cloves and dried red chillies. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the ghee changes colour and the spice flavours are released. Pour the contents of the ladle over the lamb curry, sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.

The one in Rush is called 'Bombay Bistro', Tel. 8437552.

(They'd want to improve thier signage IMO. Black marker on yellow cardboard doesn't give a great impression!)

(They'd want to improve thier signage IMO. Black marker on yellow cardboard doesn't give a great impression!)

really? Ha ha! That's brilliant! Dying for sombody to try this place out now and let us know what it is like!

catch--22 wrote:
    Dying for sombody to try this place out now and let us know what it is like!
    Pun intended? :eek: I ain't gonna be no guinea pig! :D

• Advertisement

Is the Bombay Bistro "sit down" or "take away only"?
    Is it opposite Price's?
    catch--22 wrote:
    Dying for sombody to try this place out now and let us know what it is like!
    I'm willing to donate my cast-iron intestinal tract to the cause. If I get the opportunity myself & Mrs Billy will try the Vindaloo & Rogan Josh dishes respectively this weekend & report back on Monday.

I wouldn't normally eat a vindaloo - usually prefer madras, jalfrezi or dopiaza, but I use it as a tester when I try a new place. If they can't do a vindaloo right - chances are that the rest of the dishes will be sh!te too. FFS - The only difference between vindaloo & rogan josh dishes from Shiva is that they garnish the vindaloo with a whole chili. Amateurs!

Fair play Hill Billy! Take one for the team! Uno for the lads! We'll be waiting expectantly for your report (you sound like you know what you're doing here too)!

Lets hope its a good one!

I'm a martyr to the cause of "Better Take-Away Indian Food For Fingallians".

Hill Billy wrote:
    Is the Bombay Bistro "sit down" or "take away only"?
    It's definitely sit down - not sure about 'take away'.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Is it opposite Price's?
    Yes, opposite Price's (Eurospar).

Go for it Hill Billy! :)

Hill Billy wrote:
    I'm a martyr to the cause of "Better Take-Away Indian Food For Fingallians".

Doesn't sound like you're all that hopefull! ;)

Fingers crossed so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Hill Billy wrote:
    I think that Garam Masala (01 690 4714) in Balbriggan is the best of a bad lot locally TBH. Indie Spice in Swords (01 8077999) is good.

Gonna have to disagree on both counts there! I love Garam Masala! I find that takeaways aren't nearly as good as the sit-down meal for some reason though. I wasn't overly impressed with Indie Spice.

Sorry folks - I didn't get a chance to try the Bombay Bistro over the weekend. Will let you know when I do though.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Sorry folks - I didn't get a chance to try the Bombay Bistro over the weekend. Will let you know when I do though.

Pity....drove past on Sat and it looked packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah to second pretty much what has been said here;

Indian in Skerries is poor (luminous radioactive gloop AFAIR)
    Garam masala, balbriggan - OK
    Indie Spice, swords - good

The only indian take-away in Dublin worth my vote would be Bombay Pantry in Glenageary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Jimoslimos wrote:
    The only indian take-away in Dublin worth my vote would be Bombay Pantry in Glenageary

India House on the Howth Road in Killester is great.

• Advertisement

I always found Indy Spice in Swords to be a lovely restaurant. The service is excellent....and not being an expert on Inidan cusine, always found the food to be very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Indie Spice is ok but not very authentic and a bit overpriced. I'll give the one in Rush a try soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do agree that bombay pantry is really really good:)

http://www.bombaypantry.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

Just to let ye know, I tried the Indian in Rush and it was very nice.

I'm not an expert on Indian food or anything but would defintely recommend it :D

coll wrote:
    Just to let ye know, I tried the Indian in Rush and it was very nice.

I'm not an expert on Indian food or anything but would defintely recommend it :D

Great news!

A few Q's:

What are the prices like?
    Service? (I'm not all that fussy...but thought I'd ask)
    What did you eat?

I tried a take away from the Bombay Bistro on Wednesday. I had the Lamb Vindaloo & Mrs Billy had the Chicken Rogon Josh.

Both dishes were OK. The Rogon Josh was milder than some Kormas I've had elsewhere. Apart from the melt-in-the-mouth lamb, the Vindaloo was nice enough but nothing special.

Overall, better than Shiva, but not quite as good as Garam Masala. IMO.

Thanks for the report Hill Billy! I look forward to giving it a try myself! Prob go for the take away as well!

catch--22 wrote:
    Great news!

A few Q's:

What are the prices like?
    Service? (I'm not all that fussy...but thought I'd ask)
    What did you eat?
    (Thread resurrection :))

Mrs WA and I had a sit-down there last night. For a starter, we went for the vegetarian platter (for two) - a lot of eating in it. Mrs WA went for the Aloo Gobhi while I had the Keema Aloo with vegetable and nut pulano. Nice bottle of Argentine Red to accompany it. Bill came to €62. Service was good and food excellent. We'll be back.

(They seem to be doing a roaring takeaway trade - constant stream of bags from the kitchen).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Yeah the new Indian in Rush is called the Bambay Bistro. Absolutely cracking indian food. Restaurant in lovely to. Grand and big for parties etc. The more that go there the better I say. Rush wouldnt be the most out going town in the cuisine area. Love to see it staying in Rush. Number is 8437552. Believe the indian guy that own it has a place in Navan and is hoping to move to Rush if it takes off.

• Advertisement

marcoz wrote:
    Yeah the new Indian in Rush is called the Bambay Bistro. Absolutely cracking indian food. Restaurant in lovely to. Grand and big for parties etc. The more that go there the better I say. Rush wouldnt be the most out going town in the cuisine area. Love to see it staying in Rush. Number is 8437552. Believe the indian guy that own it has a place in Navan and is hoping to move to Rush if it takes off.
    The food is great but the takeaway service is very slow though. When I send Mrs Wishbone Ash off (:)) it usually takes about 45 mins. She tells me the owner is Nepalese, not Indian. I asked her how she knew and she tells me that she has to spend the 45 minutes doing something! :eek: :D

PS - I work with a few Indians (and a lot of cowboys) and they all go to an Indian takeaway in Portmarnock for the nosebag. They say it's the most authentic around. (I don't know its name though).

Advertisement