Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veggies mostly girls??

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shabadu wrote:
    Oh dear god. You duck out for a minute and look what happens?

Tar- for every health study claiming vegetarianism is a healthier way of life there is a partner contradicting it. "Oh he's from the American Meat institute, he must be a qualified nutritionist! Let's all quote this moron out of context and use it as a terrible crutch in a nonsensical argument!"

The reason 'people who eat meat' have a less healthy diet is that most people who are vegetarian eat more veg and fruit, and less fat. They have a healthier diet over all than people who subsist on fast food and junk.

This does not mean vegetarianism is intrinsically healthier than a meat eating diet. A balanced diet including some meat and fish is optimal.

Now- any more "Vegetarianism is healthier/meat eating is unhealthy" talk will result in bannings.

Vegetarianism isn't inherently heathier, it matters not whether you eat meat or not to have a healthy diet.
    You can't say a balanced diet eating fish and meat is optimal, a balanced diet is.
    I know of only a handful of people who eat a correctly balanced diet.
    As for you talking about me saying that I was implying that vegetarianism is healthier than a diet of meat, I know it is not, apart from some diseases that have been proven but then again we know so little about so much that vegetarian food may cause a disease or two as well and we may not know it. Sure more vegetarians are healthier because of what you said, but that is, well due to what you said, more fruit/veg etc.I am not claiming that one is healthier than the other, both can be equally so.
    Although the beef industry accepts and has stated that vegetarianism is a healthier option, it is only because people abuse the amount of meat they eat.The correlation between meat consumption and a wide range of degenerative diseases is well founded by health institutions and includes;
    Osteoporosis, Kidney Stones and Gallstones, Diabetes , Multiple Sclerosis, Arthritis, Gum disease, Acne. Aggravated by animal food as well as cancer.
    What kills most people in the developed world....heart problems relaterd to meat.
    Simply put, not only do people eat too much meat at the moment, they eat way too much to be healthy and will have a shorter life because of it. Are people getting healthier?no, the consumption of meat is increasing always.
    Now these are proven by the american health association but yet I would not even use these facts too much because it all relates back to the fact that nobody whom eats meat does so in proper quantities so I don't know if it is abuse or what that causes these, if it is, then vegetarianism is not healthier, if it isn't, then it is healthier but i doubt people would be at much risk at all if they ate a proper amount of meat. I personally don't know if those diseases are caused by abuse of meat or eating meat in general, maybe the more you eat the more likely etc. But the fact is, since everybody eats too much meat, yes at the moment, vegetarians are healthier. If people ate properly then this may not be the case.
    Aside, if it was about health only and meat was unhealthier, pff I would eat meat.

You seem to have missed my joke with 'David Stroud' also, the point is, that with every stupid comment thrown at vegetarians, an equally stupid point can be thrown back. I am not like PETA. He is a guy that is high up in that institute but it matters not what he says and why would I claim what he says matters.I'm not ten. As i have studied both sides for years to seperate fact from trite tripe, why would I make a rookie debate mistake. I was saying that I say that response to people who randomly give their definitive answer, 'vegetarianism is not healthy'. I bite back with a response that people who know little about the subject in the first place have nothing to come back at. It shuts them up. It is not a quote somebody would use in intelligent debate, official facts from health institutes are the only ones you can use and so for both sides they are what is used. I did not mean, as you think, that his little line is a definitive answer. It is just a quote off some guy that shuts people up when they give me that ever so annoying statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

I know as many male veggies as females. However, all my guy friends who are veggies are always getting weird looks from anyone they tell, whereas I barely ever do. I suppose it's just the whole image that goes with vegetarians or something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well it's because men that are vegetarian are 'fags' :rolleyes:
    What you say is very true, my male friends that are vegetarian or vegan and I get questioned way more about it -for a girl, it's understandable or something..- and people have this image of men not having empathy or something...and girls being ruled too much by it...because real men do not have emotions and their conscience is overruled by a good tasting food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I'm only veggie since Halloween and Christmas was haaaard, I know a few other veggies on both sides and it's fairly equal so meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Would people think guy vegans are fags in the same way that theyd think guy vegetarians are fags?

Hope you got through your first veggie christmas ok!

• Advertisement

Floyd Soul wrote:
    Would people think guy vegans are fags in the same way that theyd think guy vegetarians are fags?

heh :)
    If they think that about vegetarians then yes, they think it about vegans I suppose. It matters not what somebody so close minded thinks. The very low brow insult they use demeans them.
    Le_Rack, for following holidays you can get a lot of good stuff from health shops and also you should make some vegetarian gravy. Did it for the first time this year and it was great. Every year my xmas meal gets better, mmm.
    This year the health shop gave me my main course thing for free,it was class. No idea what it is-they just made something up and surrounded it in pastry, they specially just made something for a vegetarian when I asked and now they are putting on their permanant menu...mmm was good.

Floyd Soul wrote:

IT was horrible!!!!! Especially only being veggie for two months prior! And having spent the day throwing up that I became veggie! (I got food poisening in a hotel)

I love veggie food, my mam cooks for me so yeah... I love this vegetable stew she makes, theres sweet potatoe and stuff in it which is lovely, and nut roast and lentil roast and veggie lasagne, chick-pea curry, love it!

In school it's great cuz everyone is always intrigued to se what I have for lunch and how well I'm holding up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Floyd Soul wrote:

uhh I think you'd be lucky if someone knew the difference between vegan<->vegetarian in the first place :o

Peanut wrote:
    uhh I think you'd be lucky if someone knew the difference between vegan<->vegetarian in the first place :o
    Yeah I had loads of people asking me "So you don't eat eggs, milk, cheese, etc" When I became veggie and I had to explain the difference at least four times...

I'm vegan. I'm female. Being veg/vegan and being a guy is not gay. I find it attractive really. To know this guy has his own opinions and is different :) And that he cares about animals...

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to be a vegan cuz so much everything really, contains all sorts of bits that come from animals?

(Sorry I couldn't phrase that better!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Yeah, I'm not really getting any bad reactions TBH. Most people are interested to know what I eat is all really.

Le Rack wrote:
    Is it difficult to be a vegan cuz so much everything really, contains all sorts of bits that come from animals?

(Sorry I couldn't phrase that better!)
    You do have to avoid a lot of foods but there is a hell of a lot of foods for you discover. It's harder In ireland than in other countries I have been to but that said, it's should be ok. There are a lot of health food shops out there etc. If you cook your own food from recipes it is very cool because usually you have not even heard of the ingredients and they are good to search out. There are a lot of tasty things to choose from, the biggest problem with foods is labeling, knowing what each ingredient on the packet is and finding shoes. :)

Coolo... There's a big place in England, Airetam Storm knows about it, it's a special place to buy clothes and that for vegetarians...

www.veganline.com
    www.veganstore.co.uk
    www.vegshoes.com
    If you need stuff, they are good.

Eh, I'm good, please slap me if you feel the need, but I'm not hugely worried about clothes and that, I don't wear leather/suede, okay I have a few pairs of shoes/boots but I've had them for ages so yeah....

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Out of my veggie friends, the demographic breakdown is...(not including myself, all figures correct at time of print):

6 guys
    1 girl

Although that probably just says more about how many girls I know.

All the other girls I know keep on trying to sneak meat into my food. What does that mean? I'm off to whatever the relationship's board around here is called.

persoanl issues :v:

Nobody I consider a friend would ever do that, well they had better not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

shroomfox wrote:
    All the other girls I know keep on trying to sneak meat into my food. What does that mean?
    They're stoopid and haven't got anything better to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

shroomfox wrote:
    All the other girls I know keep on trying to sneak meat into my food. What does that mean?

<bad joke alert>

Perhaps they're hoping you'll reciprocate and "slip them some meat" in return?

*groan*

:o Sorry but the joke was just sitting there and no-one else had bitten... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

I crossed it in and you headed it into the net.

Bam!

Advertisement