Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Captain....

Options
  • 11-11-2003 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Who do you think it should be, BOD is the obvious choice but I'd perfer to see Paul O'Connell young as he is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

BOD _might_ be an obvious becuase we had a good run of wins when he captained the team while Woodie was resting his shoulder.

But what about someone like Stringer or Humphries? Lots more experience and have lots of heart. The game play is generally controlled by the scrum half and out-half anyhow. And neither of them has to be told too often by Woodie what option to take.

Would be happy with O'Connell leading the pack. See if he can rise to the occasion as much as he rises during the lineouts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

o'connell has shown that he lacks discipline somewhat, so if he can't control his own temper, how is he going to keep discipline of 14 other players?

humphries is almost the elder statesman at this stage, so he might be a good choice, although he's quite inconsistent, he has great days and awful days, never in between.

o'driscoll is the most likely choice, as he lead the team very well for such a young player during the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Foley in the short term, O'Connell in the longterm

BOD should not captain Ire again, he learnt a lot from his time as captain, but any more and his game would suffer ..after all he's a busy guy with the product endoresments, journalism et al ...rugby hardly gets a lookin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah, I'm not sure about BOD either.

Mind you, I thought Beckham was a crazy choice for captain too, but sometimes the exceptional players can drag a team together by sheer force of example.

He could be good, very good.

I'd love to hear other opinions on it.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ya I'd really like to see Foley finishing out his international career as captain. His got like 1 or 2 years left at that level.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

I would like to see Hickie become Captain, when he retuns from Injury
    might bring about a wider and faster Game if he was in charge,
    Humphries also would be a good choice.

To finish someone from the Back line would do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

How's Humphries going to captain the team from the bench??? I hate to say it but were going to be stuck with Brian O'D as captain for many years to come, I'd put my house on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think B'OD will get it too - not because he is a good captain but because he will be around for another while yet (the reason Foley won't get it) and because he has already been captain. I just hope it doen't effect his game though. The first thing you have to do to be a good captain is to maintain your own performance level and not be burdened by the pressure.

However I would like Stringer or Murphy to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

murphy? interesting but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

the reason Foley won't get it
    the reason foley wont get it is because he wont be in the team :)

The captain has to be someone who will always be in the team..

It really has to be BoD until we get someone else, like Paul O'Connell or someone like that stepping up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 P_Doddy

I believe that soem of the younger players should get it too! IT takes a while for a captin to form his team/game play .... giving it to some older player doesn't give them a chance to that.

BoD isn't a bad choice ... O Connell would be good also but a little undisciplined yet.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by P_Doddy
    I believe that soem of the younger players should get it too! IT takes a while for a captin to form his team/game play .... giving it to some older player doesn't give them a chance to that.

BoD isn't a bad choice ... O Connell would be good also but a little undisciplined yet.

P

Simon Easterby.

Remember where you read it first...

hC

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Brian O'Driscoll or Regi Corrigan, both key players and will lead by example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If he can keep going for a few more years and sorts out all his injury worries, Corrigan should get it short term. Got the head on his shoulders, knows how to lead and has plenty of respect.

I think O'Driscoll isn't well enough in control of the standards of his own game at the moment to be leading the team. We did go on a good winning streak when he was captain but I don't think his captaincy was the catalyst for that.

O'Gara would make a good long term choice cos the kid can run a game like a proper number 10 but he definitely won't be named as captain until Humphries announces retirement.

Whoever it is Wood will be missed - a true legend. Strange thing is I still think Shane Byrne would've done a better job at hooker for the world cup but overall Wood is just class and had to be on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I wud'nt give it to BO'D.When he was captain they had a good run of results but he lost his flair.He was getting to envolved in rucks and mauls he was trying to do the forwards work and not concertrating on the backs.

I would give the Captain to Peter Stringer as he always has great control of the forwards and is always working with the backs.he is also a player who is going to be around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

O'Connel's discipline might be improved by a bit of responsibility. If England can have a headcase like Martin Johnson then whats so bad bout O'connel?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by hardCopy
    O'Connel's discipline might be improved by a bit of responsibility. If England can have a headcase like Martin Johnson then whats so bad bout O'connel?

True, Very True. Martin Johnson is one of the biggest thugs in the game. Should have been banned for punching that player last year.

Advertisement