Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish drama series.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Caught in a Free State" ... great title :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Relative Strangers, from 2000. Mini series starring Brenda Fricker. Set in Ireland and Germany.

Not familiar with this series but it doesn't appear to be Irish plus its still running.

Anyone remember Legend, mini series set in Tallaght from 2006. I just half watched the first episode, cant really remember too much about it except there was one supporting character who was like a Teddy Boy or Elvis impersonator.

https://presspack.rte.ie/2006/09/04/legend-brand-new-6-part-drama-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, I remember that. Ruth Bradley is great. The lad who played the character of Dancer got killed off ‘Fair City’ recently.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Prosperity, four part series from 2007. Written by Mark O Halloran, who also wrote and co starred in Adam And Paul (he was the tall guy).

Don't know of its been already mentioned, and the search option on new Boards is a pain. Murder In Eden, mini series from 1991. It was a BBC production but filmed in Donegal. Tony Doyle was a pub landlord who commits a murder. Also starred Tina Kellegher aka Sharon from the Snapper.

Was that repeated on tg4 in last couple years... thought i stumbled across it.

JJ Biker, one off RTE drama from 1995 about a biker dying of Aids. Starred Liam Carney. Based on a true story, I vaguely remember the real life biker appearing on maybe Kenny Live or the LLS some years beforehand. He had Haemophilia and contracted it through a blood transfusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Definitely shown on TG4, was originally a BBC production, Ian Bannen is the parish priest and Peter Firth a visiting English man, based on a book called ' Bogmail'

I did a quick google and I get hits for tg4 2013 and 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This pops into my head every now and again and I was coming to ask a question when this thread popped up on Google.

I remember a scene where the wife gets mouthy with a British government representative who suggest the family get plastic surgery. And I remember that the police/MI5 handler and the wife develop a friendship in their few brief scenes.

Who was the actor who played the handler?

Inhad forgot that Gould was the assassin in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

Bryan Marshall, British actor - starred in the BBC drama Warship, played basically the same role in The Spy Who Loved Me as the British sub commander, moved to Australia in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Fergus's Wedding was a hidden Gem, I laughed my fangs off.

I think it was the same writers as Paths to Freedom? Certainly a similar cast.

My uncle was telling me about some drama he was working on in the Eighventies (1978-1983), set in the Famine, which wasn't Scarf Jack, Manions, Year of the French... It might have been this, but I'm looking for the title myself.

It was an independent production, made by Little Bird with C4/RTE/UTV money, rather than made by RTE themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

December Bride, the cinematography is very swoony and romantic while also being very dour an norney at the same time, Donal McCann, and Ciaran Hines, Donal McCann was a brilliant actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Amongst Women (I see now it's already mentioned in post 66 but I have added again)

Set in rural Leitrim an IRA veteran is a respected farmer. He is a widower and a tyrant to his 4 children

Tony Doyle was the main actor and I believe he may have died soon after production. Ger Ryan, Anne-Marie Duff, Brian F O´Byrne were the other main actors.

It was a super production. I vaguely remember reading the book and there are some differences but I do not recall what these were.

O Duill. Irish language mini series that ran in early 1967 on RTE with Joe Lynch playing the title character, a "secret agent type". Not much info about this online, sounds intriguing. Wonder if it still exists in the archives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

It’s really sad that so much of Irish television history has been lost thanks to RTE’s ignorant, short sighted policy of wiping and reusing tapes. Such a huge body of work from so many actors and producers just obliterated forever. I pray that future technology can somehow be able to retrieve this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What's even worse is the fact that they won't repeat / stream / release what they do have (which is a lot more than people think - not that much is missing)

Found on DVD in CEX - the 1989 three part series Dick Francis mysteries starring Ian McShane, guest stars including Patrick Macnee, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Niall Toibin and Lloyd ' Cecil from Dynasty' Bochner. An Irish-German-Canadian coproduction mainly between RTE and CTV, with DL Taffner (the American TV distributor who made big distributing the likes of Benny Hill to the US). Was made alongside for US syndication with the short-lived 1989 ITV version of the Saint (with Simon Dutton, very much the Lazenby of the Saints), sharing similar animated title sequence and music (by Bill Whelan).

Made between s1 and s2 of Lovejoy, it's very muchlike a series of Taffin. Ian McShane and Pat Macnee pottering about playing golf course, Geraldine Fitzgerald as a posh old bag, sacks of Gain, Conor Mullen as a sinister yuppie villain, Bungalow Bliss houses, Niall Toibin.… Baby Deirdre O'Kane.

I'd almost completely forgotten about that. I remember a review by the late John Little, Sunday World tv critic, about "horsey types" and "yuppies blathering into mobile phones".

We follow each other on twitter, right, hangdogroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Not really forgotten, since it's been re-issued on DVD, but if you get a chance to see Strumpet City it's well worth watching (and re-watching). Peter O'Toole plays Jim Larkin.

Also, John Huston borrowed the idea to use gas lamps as lighting for his adaptation of The Dead from a forgotten (lost?) RTÉ adaptation of The Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We re-watch the Dead each Christmas it our Christmas film

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

I rewatched all 4 episodes of Prosperity from 2007 on YouTube yesterday evening. I forgot how depressing and bleak it was.

• Advertisement

Aren't the masters lost? I remember Abrahamson saying that. Shows how little RTE give a toss about preservation

Advertisement