Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loader Bale Handling

Options
  • 13-12-2023 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking for some implements for handling bales in both seasons and was think it was getting just a plain bale spike and then a soft hands bale lifter just wondering what people have and use. I was thinking off going quickie as there the best made i'v seen but there also the most expensive.

What do lads think of either of these types would the 2spikes be the better for lifting bales or would the 3spikes give more control? I will be spiking the bales in there sides as its a double passage way. The felming type is roughly 400 and the quickie is 450? any any experience with either type?

For the soft hands I was thinking of either of the quickie ones

There is only 200 euros between the different types with the uni grip 1550 and flexigrip 1750 roughly? Any one got these I was leading towards the flexigrip as you can lock one of the sides? What do others have or does anyone have these ones and have any feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Have you priced the Hustler soft hands?

Can't remember which you tuber had one for a while, but there was something about a stabiliser bar it had that meant it opened evenly. They thought it was a good idea.

Would the ability to lock either side be useful? I don't know.

I wonder was it @farmerphil135?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You might as well look at the bale slices for feeding out. You can get 60% under TAMS but the reference cost is relatively low. Some of the lighter looking ones are around the reference cost though.

IFJ has a list of makes and prices

If you are looking to handle wrapped bales during the summer, JM Agri's TR3 is very good. Will be a good bit more expensive than the soft hands though

The main advantage of the old roller types is that you can take the pipes off for handling straw or hay. The price difference between them wouldn't be enough on it's own to convince me to get one over the likes of the TR3. Have no experience of the soft hands types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

I would be interested in a bale slice but not this year I just want something nice and handy for this year to get me out as I have enough spend this year 🤣 🤣

on the tr3 handler this kind of handler would not suit me for stacking bales of hay into a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭emaherx

The main advantage of the old roller types is that you can take the pipes off for handling straw or hay. The price difference between them wouldn't be enough on it's own to convince me to get one over the likes of the TR3. Have no experience of the soft hands types.

I have one of the pipe type and don't really like it for spiking bales, I find the tines too long, probably because my canopy's over the feed barriers are a bit low. I use a simple home made spike for feeding it's lighter and can usually just be left on the tractor doing most other jobs without being in the way.

I find the pipe type OK for handling bales during the summer but would prefer either of the soft hands or elephant trunk as I could fit a few more bales on the trailer.

Might depend on the make. The roller type one here is fairly old but the spikes underneath the rollers are quite short. I wouldn't be using it to handle bales of silage in the winter as I think they might be likely to fall off the end (or else go in bits if handling them with net only after the plastic is cut off)

Trunk is a better job though. I don't know how the soft hands works as regards packing tightly side-to-side on a trailer but never had an issue getting the trunk back down down the centre between the bales. There would always be enough of a gap in behind them no matter how tight you thought you had them.

You would want to be confident (and justifiably so) before making up anything to handle silage bales. Especially if you are going to be out walking around them cutting plastic or net off them. I'm sure you are yourself, but I wouldn't be recommending it in general to the average punter.

• Advertisement

I use a soft hands too, belonging to the in-laws, no issue packing trailer tight with it but I don't have a high back or front rack an the trailer so end bales can be grabbed at a slight angle (not perpendicular to the trailer) and work back to front or vice versa when loading / unloading. I've never used the trunk type but believe its the business.

Wasn't really advising on making one, but that's what it is and has handles 10's of thousands of bales without issue and made of stronger stuff than the one's pictured above. I'd never walk under a raised bale of silage full stop regardless of who made the implement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

I bought a tr3 from jm agri last summer. €1950 inc vat direct from jm agri. I love it. I haven't even dreamt of taking out the roller since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Snap on that, it's super. Loaded bales for a chap that was buying a few wraps and he was delighted with no spike holes. Handy to work with odd shaped bales. Anyone who has a trunk handler I know would not go back to anything else

They look great alright but only issue is stacking bales into the shed 3 high Id get it caught in the roof and would have to stack it 2 high only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

You won’t be stacking wrapped bales in the shed. Use the bale spike for the hay and straw.

• Advertisement

Stacking bales of hay or straw in the shed I just use the old tine grab. Just do a quick tot on how many wraps you handle a year and you won't be long making your mind up. See if any neighbours have one and ask to see it in action

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr..

Have a soft hands here and its handy for putting bales in a round feeder, take net and plastic off in yard and then no getting out at feeder.

I have never seen one of them around our area at all its all soft hands at the moment

Would the bale not fall apart while carrying it over to the feeder?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

I did have one yes. Good job but hard to explain till you’ve used it. Johnstons we’re selling them for 1250 the week of Black Friday don’t know what they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Have used them all. Have an old Rossmore roller type which should be on done deal sooner, borrowed the soft hands of a neighbour and will only used the trunk type handling bales and stacking now. When feeding them, it's just the tine grab and take the hassle of hopping up and down opening them in the passageway. I have no round feeders but what some guys locally do is cut the plastic of the end of the bale and drop it in then pull it up over the bale. One chap even flicks the plastic off with the tines of the grab

Some say you can damage the soft drives on the loaders by having it turned on when carrying a heavy load.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr..

@limo_100 forgot to mention theyre not chopped.

But who are some to say?

I leave it on all the time, probably more likely to break something the more you use it alright, but what's the worst that could happen? Burst accumulator? I'd take the chances with that if it's saving some wear and tear on me the operator.

• Advertisement

The accumulator can burst......but more likely is that the pressure in them just goes and they become useless anyway.

Some loader manufacturers tell you explicitly to turn it off when under load, and others appear to advertise along the lines of "makes your travel smoother even when under heavy load" or similar.

Either way it would take a lot to kill one and cost about €60 - €150 euro for the replacement part. So I'd just leave it on.

If it has just lost pressure then re-pressurize it.

Post edited by emaherx on

Can you re-pressurize them yourself? We have one here that I'd say would need to be done. I can't see us getting any part for 60-150 Euro ............ had to replace the headstock on it a year or two ago and it cost about 1500 or something!

You can in theory, you'd need the pre-charge kit and a bottle of nitrogen and know the right pre -charge for the vessels and the risks involved in working with pressurized gas.

But for one it's probably safer and more cost effective to get someone who services hydraulic systems to do it.

Here's a new one for €124 from an Irish supplier, cheaper ones could be got if you are willing to wait but there's always the quality concerns with them. I'm sure genuine from the loader manufacturers will be more.

No idea if that would suit your machine, typically they have a volume and pressure rating. Bigger machines may have larger vessels which could cost more but are probably also less likely to fail from carrying a bale or 2.

There is something I read about soft ride and front suspension tractors getting into a muddle.

I've neither myself.

Just checking in is anyone in the market for a soft hands I am gonna buy one in the next week or so. Had a look at a few of them Fleming, nugent, rossmore, inter tech them seem ok maybe a shade light and are on the cheaper side of the scale at 1200-1400.

Then looked at quickie unigrip, mchales and Cashels there is not a lot between the the mchales and Cashels would go with the Cashels as there bale handling equipment is very good I find it excellent. I need to have a look at the hustlers one but I'm now down to hustler, Cashels and quickie flexigrip. Any one any experience of any of these 3 or have I excluded any better ones?

Just to note I did seriously consider the elephant trunks Cashels and tr3 and are very impressive machines but I have low roofs and the hands would just work better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I have a Nugent here for the last 6 or 7 years. I find it the finest. I use it for feeding too so it so it's on a good bit.

Was thinking of getting soft hands myself this year to stack and to load bales at it farm to bring home without piercing the plastic.

Keep us informed of your progress. Let me know how you find the Hustler as after watching @farmerphil135 using it, it went high on my list. Nugent dealer is close by me, but hustler is a bit of a distance.

Will do no problem. what are you leaning towards at the moment?

• Advertisement

That's good to know I must take another look at that so. does it even nick a bale on ya? I heard the older flemings use to nick bales but I'm sure that's resolved now

Advertisement