Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Local Election. D15.

Options
  • 08-05-2024 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭

The last Election Thread from 2019 https://tinyurl.com/bdfpnj4v

Local Authority Website with details https://www.fingal.ie/LocalElections2024

Last Date to Register is 20/05/2024 - Check are you Registered https://www.voter.ie/

Election Date 07/06/2024 - Polls are open from 7am to 10pm

Last Election Results below and details in link https://www.fingal.ie/2019-local-election-count-results

Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart LEA - 5 Seats

* Mary McCamley - Labour
    * Breda Hanaphy - Sinn Féin
    * John Burtchaell - Solidarity
    * Punam Rane - Fine Gael
    * Freddie Cooper - Fianna Fáil
    Castleknock LEA - 6 Seats

* Roderic O'Gorman - Green
    * Emer Currie - Fine Gael
    * Ted Leddy - Fine Gael
    * John Walsh - Labour
    * Howard Mahony - Fianna Fáil
    * Natalie Treacy - Sinn Féin
    Ongar LEA - 5 Seats

* Paul Donnelly - Sinn Féin
    * Tania Doyle - Non Affiliated
    * Tom Kitt - Fianna Fáil
    * Daniel Whooley - Green Party
    * Kieran Dennison Fine Gael

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Post edited by rameire on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

People who will be Standing this time around for June 2024.

Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart LEA - 5 Seats

Mary McCamley - Labour
    Oisín Ó hAlmhain - Green
    Robbie Loughlin - Aontú
    Neil Dowling - Social Democrats
    Breda Hanaphy - Sinn Féin
    Louise Kavanagh - Sinn Féin
    Damien Bissett - Sinn Féin
    Patrick Quinlan  - National Party
    Susanne Delaney - No Party
    John Burtchaell - People Before Profit & Solidarity
    Steve O’Reilly - Fine Gael
    JK Onwumereh - Fianna Fáil
    Lorna Nolan - Fianna Fáil

Castleknock LEA - 6 Seats

John Walsh - Labour
    Pamela Conroy - Green
    Ellen Troy - Aontú
    Luke Daly - Social Democrats
    Philip Lynam - Sinn Féin
    Ruth Coppinger - People Before Profit & Solidarity
    Siobhan Shovlin - Fine Gael
    Ted Leddy - Fine Gael
    Howard Mahony - Fianna Fáil
    Eimear Carbone Mangan - Fianna Fáil

Ongar LEA - 5 Seats

Tanya Doyle - Independent
    Nekesa Nancy Khisa - Labour
    Michelle Griffin - Green
    Gerard Sheehan - Aontú
    Ellen Murphy - Social Democrats
    Angela Donnelly - Sinn Féin
    Declan Cairns - Sinn Féin
    Niall O’Donoghue - Sinn Féin
    Kate Relihan - People Before Profit & Solidarity
    Paul Fitzsimons - Irish Freedom Party
    Kieran Dennison - Fine Gael
    Tom Kitt - Fianna Fáil
    Ali Asad - Fianna Fáil

Post edited by rameire on

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Phoenix FM will be hosting three Town Hall meetings, one for each LEA. They will be on Wednesday evenings in St Brigid's Community Centre in Blanchardstown (beside the St Brigid's church) between 7:30pm and 9:30pm. The candidates will be in attendance.

Blanchardstown/Mulhuddart LEA - Wednesday 15th May
    Castleknock LEA - Wednesday 22nd May
    Ongar LEA - Wednesday 29th May

Full info at: https://www.phoenixfm.ie/election-2024-town-halls/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just a note that it's Fianna Fáil not Fine 😉

Where did you get the Green Party candidate for Blanchardstown Mulhuddart? None listed on the Green Party website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ultraviolence

seems like the green party once again struggled to find someone local in the blanch/mulhuddart LEA and had to move a candidate from another area.(The last green to run in that area was in 2004). According to his blog he is a 'green activist' in Dublin South Central and has contested elections in that area 3 times..

Also its not listed but Cllr Tania Doyle( ONGAR LEA) has stated she is running for election.. just saying as her name isnt there.

• Advertisement

I selected local election candidates and Dublin West and got 3, Castleknock, Ongar and Cabra but none for Blanchardstown Mulhuddart

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

I can't believe Ruth Coppinger is throwing her hat in the ring. She has been MIA (missing in action) since losing her seat in the elections and yet she thinks that she has something to offer now?? And what do People before profit even offer? I think we have seen recently that they just turn whatever way the wind is blowing these days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Mildly dispiriting to see that the National Party are running a candidate in Mulhuddart, I hope he gets absolutely humiliated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Same for the Irish Freedom Party in Ongar. Interesting that these people don't feel it's worth running a candidate in Castleknock. Who's Aoife Coppinger in Ongar? Presumably related to Ruth?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

She has no role, no longer a TD or councillor so not sure what you expected her to be doing in the last few years.

But even then to describe her as MIA is a bit of an exaggeration. She has still been campaigning on various issues, is moderately active locally, still talks to people and is approachable to 'help' as she can generally point people in the right direction even if her own influence is limited. All in all she seems a perfectly normal candidate for a local council.

• Advertisement

I had missed that, and had never heard of the Irish Freedom Party - a quick google shows me that their most prominent member is Hermann Kelly, and that's all I need to know. Again, I hope the people of Ongar aren't the hate-filled racist idiots that the IFP think they are.

Aoife is Ruth's niece and cut from the same cloth by the looks of it.

And Paul Donnelly's wife running for SF. I thought they were against cronyism and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

She has to stand, they are thin on the ground for candidates and in terms of Castleknock she's more likely to win a seat than anyone else they'll stand. It'll be a bit embarrassing for her if she doesn't win akin to Nora Owen back in the day, she'll be hoping to win in the next GE and hand over the council seat.

I think Aoife Coppinger has been replaced by lKate Relihan, not sure why.

Angela Donnelly is a along time SF activist in her own right nothing crony about it.

Those posters are just creepy and no mention of him. A load of them up in a row in Blanchardstown village.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had to Google them yesterday when someone put those posters up on Twitter. It's not clear that The Irish People are actually a political party, which is probably intentional to disguise their far right leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

Ruth Coppinger will be an interesgting one to watch. Hard to see her taking a seat in Castleknock LEA. John Walsh, Siobhan Shovalan and Ted Leddy are all very active in the area. SF are likely to get one and while Walsh may be under threat it is hard to see where Coppinger will get support. SF obviously felt there wasn't enough left votes to run 2 candidates in the area.

She wont get support in Castleknock. The people of Castleknock are too set in their ways for change and if they do have an appetite for change, her type of political agenda is not suited to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

From her posters she wants to sort Health and Education even though councils have no powers in relation to these.

🤮 She'd want to set her sights a little bit lower. Get out and do something for your area Ruth

• Advertisement

All politicians do that, there's anger on issues in society and politicians will seek to reflect that. Most voters will not vote based on specifically how a candidate may or may not affect local government & governance. I'm no fan of RC while broadly on the same side politically but she isn't doing anything others will do and say.

They're reused posters from the general election?

Angela is a great local councillor, very hard working. Wouldn't be my politics and not in my LEA but at local election time my vote always goes to the councillors that actually work for the community, regardless of Party.

I still feel cheated being in the new Blanchardstown Mulhuddart LEA as there aren't many who tick the hard working box even now on our second local election round. Special shout out to the sitting councillor whose leaflet didn't spell Snugborough Road properly 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Coppinger can't stand in Mulhuddart presumably because of her vocal support of refugees.

So she's chancing her arm in the affluent part of Dublin 15 hoping her brand of Marxist economics goes down well in the large houses of Castleknock.

Tiresome, uninformed nonsense. She's standing in Castleknock because she is the highest profile candidate they have and as a former TD has the best chance of being elected in the area where traditionally their base is weakest. None of their other candidates stand a chance of being elected there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not all politicians are doing that. Ruth is promising stuff she can never deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She wears it lightly but yes I suspect that's how she would describe herself - what's your point?

• Advertisement

Ruth?? Is that you? :-)

She hasn't a pups chance in Castleknock. Her "bang the drums" and "shout people down" politics would not entice anyone in big houses to vote for her. There is also a massive shift to the right recently and her stance on transgenderism is now a step to far. Whether people speak out about it or not, this idea of identifying as "whatever your having yourself" is slowly turning people away.

Just as an FYI, I am not transphobic. I'm quite happy to let people identify as whatever they want but they don't have to ram it down other peoples throats as the NEW norm.

Advertisement