Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your cattle tag supplier

Options
  • 30-04-2024 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

It would be worthwhile getting a snap shot of where folks are getting tags from. Issues that people having, and what people like about certain tags.

Over 90% of the tags used in the country per year have been used so far

Who is your cattle tag supplier 65 votes

Mullinahone Co Op
    46%
    valtra2blue5000Jack Cdunlopwelliescapslock88jimmy G MGalloways4lifeSeadinDiarmuid B893betvisatorroSheep breederBase price148multiwhelan2JustJoe7240selectamaticPoorFarmerBass ReevesHard Knocks 30 votes
    Cormac tags
    50%
    cjpmmr.stonewallDunedinsatsthewayred bullkk_manSami23Dozer1Padraic11subsitmickey1985ABitofsenselimo_100mahoney_jMulumpyCastlekeeperfarmertippJ.O. FarmerGillespyCows r us 33 votes
    Datamars
    3%
    fulldnodjohn457 2 votes
    Agritags
    0%
    Others not mentioned
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mullinahone Co Op

I haven't had any issues with Mullinahone tags with our own stock and touch wood haven't had a empty BVD sample - I've probably cursed myself now!

We buy in and feed dairy cull cows and they were a torture a few years ago with tags falling out mostly at the feed barrier. I spent too much time ordering replacement tags but it seems to have changed about and we have very few nowdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mullinahone Co Op

With Mullinahone, didnt have a problem with them until this year. Will change when i use up what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Mullinahone Co Op

Mullinahone. Never had an empty. Only using 15 sets a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Cormac tags

changed to cormac from mullinahone because I had loads of empties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cormac tags

Switched a few years ago after after a few neighbours had done so with very good feedback. Really liked that no messing with putting a pin into a sample bottle and the tags in a strip. Had a few empties over the years with mullinahone, none for the past 4 years with Cormac tags.

The speed at which they get tags out is fantastic and really noticed it with the bdgp tags. They were the fastest out of the blocks

• Advertisement

Mullinahone Co Op

got the scep tags from mullinahone today so big improvement on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Cormac tags

moved from mullinahone to Cormac about 5-6 years ago. Cormac far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Cormac tags

Mullinahone took the Mickley when they had it all to themselves, pawning off dud tags with high replacement rates. I chanced Cormac when they started up and it was like day and night in terms of quality and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Mullinahone Co Op

I have the home herd with Mullinahone and OH has hers with Cormac. What I like about Cormac is that you have one tagger that does the whole lot. At the moment with button tags for SCEP from Mullinahone I have 3 different tags to apply to each calf and that is 3 different tagger set-ups. That will drop to 2 soon enough but is still one too many. Will be switching to Cormac as soon as I have my stockpile used up too I think.

There seems to be an improvement over the last few years with the quality of Mullinahone and I don't seem to be getting as many lost tags as previously. There are still too many pros for Cormac IMO though

One tagger does all

Sample tags much simpler as the bottle is attached

No waste, tags come in a strip of 4 with perforations between them, Mullinahone are all clipped into those little plastic carriers that they inevitably fall out of and are an extra waste and need to be disposed of.

Quicker turnaround times from order to delivery

Mullinahone Co Op

Straw that broke the camels back here was waiting over 30 minutes on the phone for them to answer and the woman answers laughing. How can farmers be expected at the busiest time of the year to wait over half an hour for them to answer the phone. Ordering extra pink envelopes only to be told they've none themselves and they're waiting on them from France. In fairness you can now order those envelopes on line but couldn't when I rang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Cormac tags

mullinahone had a serious problem with lost tags one year, after press publicity they sent replacement foc, I had maybe 25 tags left over 'till the next and no way would they replace them eventhough they knew they were the same batch

often waited 6 weeks for delivery after paying, switched to cormac and different world , even the staff on the phone lines are pleasant and helpful

Mullinahone Co Op

No one has voted for the lesser known suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cormac tags

It must be very hard for companies to gain market share after the monopoly times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Who2

Back to mullinahone tags here.

I went with Cormack tags for two years and went back to mullinahone. I hate Cormack tags tagger is the main reason. I like to get both tags set up with mullinahone ones then tag and dehorn as well.Cormack are far better getting the tags out but realistically a lot of the time it’s my own fault for not having them ordered early enough. Mullinahone are quick enough getting replacements sent out so it’s not a major hassle.

Mullinahone Co Op

I ordered 3 replacement tags at breakfast time this morning, these were free and I just had to pay postage. They were dispatched this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Mullinahone Co Op

How did you manage to get free tags.

Mullinahone Co Op

You get free replacement tags with Mullinahone, not sure if there's an age limit on them. 2 of these were born last August and the other was a tag I broke while tagging a few weeks ago

Mullinahone Co Op

Thar explains the credit last time I ordered a replacement for a yearling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kk_man

Cormac tags

Gave up on Mullinahone after 10% empty last year. Rang up to complain and the usual comments of "are you using the right tag with the right back". After 10 plus years tagging that's hard to listen to. Went to Cormac and just 1 empty sample this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Mullinahone Co Op

Using Mullinahone since the start here, order tags out of season and no problem getting them, replacement order before mid day have them the next day’s post, tag retention is all about where the tag is placed in the ear. Also Mullinahone is a better sheep tag than Cormac, Cormac the laser number wears off after a couple of years and hard to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

mullinahone since plastic tags started.

No issues at all. When a tag is lost and re ordered, I get replacements quick.

only issue is invoices but that could be me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Mullinahone Co Op

We are with Mullinahone since my dad's time think 1996 they started using the plastic tags there was 4 letters in them in the beginning.

No real issues with them. I got a free tagger from them this year, think it's the only free thing I ve ever gotten from them. I actually like using the two taggers, I find it quick & handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Cormac tags

Had completely forgotten some of the details of using the Mullinahone tags.

Cormac much more efficient system. Sample is done with no fiddly bottles needed. They've improved how the tags come in the box too. Used be in a bag and needed to be careful taking them out to keep in order. Now lined up in the box ready to use. Cardboard box the only waste. Could throw it under calves when empty. That cannot be said of the other lot.

Mullinahone Co Op

Have to agree the Mulli.. tubes are indeed fiddly

Mullinahone Co Op

THe red and blue tubes are alot better

Mullinahone Co Op

still if enough of us make a fuss, they just might up their game to something similar to Cormac's.

Mullinahone Co Op

It's the phone service they really have to improve, it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mullinahone Co Op

Is there any difference in price.?

Had my mind made up to switch to cormac one year, then never bothered. I don't mind using 2 taggers. Don't seem to replace as many tags now. They probably rode their luck when they had it all to themselves. Just shows abit of competition is no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭cjpm

Cormac tags

Rode their luck?!

Rode every farmer in Ireland that had to replace their substandard tags more like.

Cormac here.

• Advertisement

Advertisement