Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭boetstark

I will ask you for second time what did I say is incorrect. Because you are insinuating that I am lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Yes we know that. If there is no accommodation they are handed 113 per week while they live in a tent or couch surf, or if moved to citywest etc its 38 per week.

Next question is how are they paid, cash or into a bank account, with the possibility they can head to another country once they start receiving payment? Do they have to "sign on" like the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This is interesting:

Sky News' Data & Forensics Unit analysed recent posts concerning unrest and mentioning anti-migration hashtags, finding the majority originate outside of Ireland.

Re Posts mentioning Newtownmountkennedy

A search of X posts mentioning Newtownmountkennedy shows only 75 were posted on 24 April. But on the day of the protest, 25 April, this spiked to 26,801 posts.

As social media users discussed the violent confrontations the following day, the number of posts mentioning the town peaked at 53,907.

Posts from users based in Ireland were the second most common, accounting for 20.9% of the total. While 9.6% of posts came from users based in the United Kingdom.

Of the five accounts that attracted the most engagement on posts including the term Newtownmountkennedy, three were based outside of Ireland.

The most engaged with account was an Irish activist posting footage of the event, the second was The Liberal, an online publication in the country.

Tommy Robinson, an English far-right activist, attracted the fourth most engagement. In total, his posts mentioning the town were engaged with 42,500 times.

ALOT MORE DATA IN THAT ARTICLE, HAVE A LOOK ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It may only get worse as UK started rounding up failed UK asylum applicants ahead of a one way flight to Rwanda yesterday. For any of those in scope that don't want to go there, borderless Ireland has to be where you will run to. The NI border areas could become another Calais....

According to an article in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday, some of them still believe they will be getting a nice house etc here.

UK wants to make their problem with refugees transiting through EU/France an EU problem, and Ireland need the EU on board now. This is heading for a major diplomatic incident that Brexit avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmm.. I occasionally use the services of the likes of MailChimp to bulk email customers. 99% of my customers are Irish based but when I view the various delivery & open reports, the USA figures prominently. From which I conclude that certain popular email services even though used in Ireland are ascribed to USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I don't see anything surprising about that at all.

There are threads in this very section talking at length about events in other countries. And then there's the added confusion of vpns and such.

Add in that anything concerning migration is rapidly becoming a worldwide topic of argument, along with the ubiquity of internet, it only makes sense.

If an earthquake happened in some small town in Japan, what would the data of commentary be like as to origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, until and if the Rwanda policy starts to bite we could be taking quite a large hit. The government here needs to get the finger out and stem this as best they can. Perhaps those who clearly work in this area on this thread have ideas as to how to control the inflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

A secret briefing paper from the Department of Justice said the State urgently needed to resume deportations as the majority of applicants for international protection were economic migrants.

When the DoJ say 'the majority' they don't mean 51% - it's more likely 80%+

You've been shown figs regarding an almost zero deportation rate too, so perhaps we're not the one's posting false info eh - so maybe think a little bit before throwing out this:

The amount of misinformation people believe about refugees without checking facts is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You said we should limit immigration, I only asked which of the immigrants you would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Europe for the past 80 years has had relative peace. How has Africa done, even with Europe and the US pouring trillions of our own money into it?? Something we did not have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

There’s a conspiracy theory thread for stuff like this. No one is monitoring you, tracking you, or surveilling you. Nor would a national ID card enable this. Over your dead body, or your live one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think its people already here that couldnt get accomodation in Swords/Citywest etc. So they returned to the IPO office.

I thought the IPO office was closed though....so not sure why they would be bussed back to Mount St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭brickster69

Where are they going to deport them to without the agreement of countries to accept them ?

All roads lead to Rome.

I think govt estimates are 20k + this year. First 3 months were over 5k, so we are on track for 20k + this year.

Apparently there is only enough govt staff to cope with processing around 14k applications.

As for accomodation for 20k asylum seekers this year? Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

They should desist with "First Time registrations" at the IPO office in city centre. People should be making their claim at the port of entry. Allowing registrations at IPO office is enabling human trafficking.
    Setup a prefab desk at the ferry ports and at the airport, let them register there, driven straight into a DP centre.
    With registration right at the port, it should be an easy and quick task to check the passenger manifest.

If they are lying about their entry, that's a big strike on the AS claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This makes me very uneasy. Why does it feel like some renters could end up being pushed out of their accomodation.

The Govt have lost their minds. Very dangerous territory.

It's actually really hard to believe this is happening right now. Doesn't feel real.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fresh-drive-to-buy-up-properties-for-asylum-seekers-as-up-to-100-migrants-on-mount-st-told-no-beds-available/a2073617781.html

Agreed.

It doesnt make sense to bring eveyone into the city centre to process applications, when we know full well we cant cope with the numbers in terms of processing or accomodating them.

The summer is likley to produce a spike in numbers, as it has done previously. Add to that the Rwanda issue and numbers will probably hit new highs over the next few months.

We cant house the numbers we are receiving now, so centralising applicants in the city centre before we hit peak numbers later in the year makes zero sense, unless we are determined to create a Tent City in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭trashcan

No she didn’t. It has been a feature since at least the 1999 Immigration Act, which dealt with Immigration of failed asylum seekers prior to the 2015 International Protection Act. It has never been possible to remove a failed asylum seeker ( or indeed anyone else illegally in the State) without a Deportation Order. The system under that Act is that a proposal to deport must be issued. This gives the subject three options: They can consent to the DO, they can voluntarily leave before a DO is issued ( meaning that they can try to come back legally without a DO hanging over them) or they can make representations as to why a DO should not be made. If, after consideration, a DO is not made, then a person was always given leave to remain.

Honestly, there is some amount of commentary around this subject by people who don’t know what they are talk8ng about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We may not have a hard right party that people will vote for, yet, but our government are gradually making such an option more palatable for voters by the day.

Yep. Its always been the inevitable outcome. If a govt doesnt address and engage with an issue which is really important to people, it doesnt go away, it carries the electorate away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Northernlily

My mindset has shifted a huge amount in the last 48 hours. I'm sure there more like me.

We badly need a new right of centre party that is FFG mould except they are competent and have people with real world experience in their ranks. Not PR bluster Tik Tokkers or have beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

No it doesn't get ignored, its just that some people keep deliberately conflating legal immigration with illegal. We know that people coming here to work via the legal means actually bring a lot of positive things to this country. We also know there are genuine cases of asylum seekers. But we also know there are chancers coming from safe countries destroying documents on the way. This was reported on in mainstream media so it's not anecdotal. Only a few months ago there was an article in the Irish Times about a Georgian national who destroyed his documents and his families too. He got to stay in free accomodation and got food paid for and also worked a cash in hand job

Someone from a safe country coming here to claim asylum is no different to someone from Ireland showing up in Australia and doing the same. Only difference we wouldn't get very far trying that in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭nachouser

Anyone turning up at Mount Street from now on should be pointed toward their relevant Embassy. Let them house, clothe and feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

What's particularly worrying is that it says interested parties with property to offer have up till the end of next year to register their interest - that suggests there is no intention to try to stem the flow of bogus asylum seekers, quite the contrary. It suggests they're preparing for more.

It is actually outrageous. Nothing like this was ever done to help the huge number of decent Irish people of all ages who cannot even find accommodation to rent, let alone buy at an affordable price but the government can move heaven and earth to accommodate some random guy from Albania or Georgia.

I fully supported taking our share of Ukrainian refugees at the start of the war, but why are we continuing to take people from all over the universe when there is nowhere for them to stay? And why is the government doing things like looking at buying up student accommodation for IPAs? Where are the students supposed to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

until laws are changed and we back out of agreements like the GFA so we can have a hard border they're just going to keep coming yes, and we wont be changing the rules any time soon so get used to it. maybe rwanda will deter boats coming to ireland but i wouldn't bank on it.

And there are posters deliberately conflating asylum seekers with illegal immigration.

Australia also have asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

What is the correct terminology for someone coming from a safe country and seeking asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Radio1 just had a Tiglin Dublin charity person who said a new refugee arrived today "from Gaza via Jordan and Belfast"

• Advertisement

I think some people are trying to distinguish between tax paying immigrants and non-tax paying immigrants.

Advertisement