Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SaGa Emerald Beyond is looking it be incredible. The SaGa serious used to scare people away by being very obtuse and hardcore but the last SaGa game, scarlet ambition, is supposedly secret best rpg of the last 15 years material, and emerald beyond looks to be just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You open collectors edition?? 😂

I've the same one but still sealed. Going to be worth double digits some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I can always put the contents back in the box and wrap it with cling film 😃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Paper Mario 2 remake on switch is 30 fps. I'm. It sure how they managed that when the original is a 60 fps game.

• Advertisement

And this is why you should never believe everything online, the GC game ran at 30 as well, so I'd say logic is tied to framerate so not a lot could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Cordell

Escape from tarkov Devs released a €150 edition previously and promised it would include all future DLC.

They have now released a new €250 edition that has exclusive access to the new PVE Co-op mode and told those with the first edition that they aren't getting it as it's not DLC it's a new feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you mean The Thousand Year Door, then that ran at 60FPS on GameCube. ... runs off to find proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This looks like it could have some very interesting uses for free roam vr if the tech cost can be reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its the only game I play these days, the subreddit is gone into absolute meltdown over it.

Nope you and I were right the first time. Hard to get the right info these days with so many AI bots online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Beyond charging €250 for a game being disgraceful what's your take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Housemarque are teasing something (likely) Returnal related, as the 30th is the anniversary of its initial release.

I'm in two minds over it to be honest.

I originally got the lowest tier, I think it was €30 i paid at the time, as its reputation as a hardcore game was daunting to me. I got it, put a good bit of time in, and felt that I could see the value in upgrading to the €150 tier (EOD), as while not exactly pay to win (you still get killed the same as everyone else), the advantage of the bigger stash size make it a bit easier to stockpile quest items in advance - just to explain this, say for example a quest asks you to hand in packs of food, you wont get this quest from the vendor until a later point, but if you know its coming up, you can set aside the food as you find it, and then turn it in immediately, rather than starting looking once you get the quest. Its also worth noting, that almost everything in the expensive edition can be earned in game eventually. This really only helps people who are on their second or third wipe, as they know what to look out for.Future DLC was also included as part of the EOD edition. I was also happy to support the game, as I'd spent more over the years on call of duty titles that didnt give a fraction of the enjoyment tarkov does. I think it was around january, the EOD version was discontinued from the store, under the guise that early access was coming to a close, and the game was moving towards an official release, and they no longer wanted to be selling DLC in advance.

In the meantime, their side offering, area has failed, likely creating the need to generate revenue, in the space of a few months, MTX have been rolled out in the form of stash increases (affects no one), clothing (affects no one) but now, the new edition, has imo crossed the line , buy adding items that cant be achieved by regular users - more items slots on your character, a radio device that makes enemies have less aggro, etc. This is definitely unbalanced, and there has been mention of things like priority matchmaking queues coming down the tracks in future also.

The community is passionate, and its fair to say, most want the game to be completed, and be a success, but the current messaging and interaction with the devs has been extremely off-putting.

I dont regret buying the game for a second, I've more than got my moneys worth out of it, but I wont be giving them any more money. I do think a subscription model might have been a better call, like an MMO, but Its hard to know if the game will ever be finished now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m always extra cynical about games that ask fans to invest more and more into expensive editions to get the full or ‘true’ experience. Just sounds like they’re taking advantage of them. I feel the same about physical collector’s editions or ‘digital deluxe’ editions - mostly just useless tat that doesn’t come close to justifying the premium cost.

I’ve no problem with things like (substantial) paid DLC as they’ve been around in various guises forever and obviously come with a production cost. But locking core modes or quality of life features behind eye-wateringly expensive deluxe editions is pure greed - especially when there’s any attempt to guilt trip fans for saying ‘we need more of your money to fund development and features of the game you’ve already bought’.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The bit that stuck out to me about the whole thing was that people who bought the EOD edition did so with the understanding that all future DLC was going to be free, and then the devs were trying to say the new gamemode just didn't count as DLC.

Sure, it seems to be substantial DLC, but claiming you don't think of it as DLC doesn't mean the players who have already spent a lot of money on the game don't think of it as DLC, especially since by all common usage of the term, it's clearly DLC.

The thing is, its not really a substantial DLC, its literally just playing the main game offline, which effectively renders the whole risk / reward part of it, what I'd argue as being the secret sauce of the whole game, pointless.

Also, the AI in tarkov is flat out awful, why anyone would want to engage with it by choice is beyond me.

I think everyone assumed that 'future dlc' was going to mean more maps, rather than this curiosity, but the fact that they've been denied it, just adds fuel to the fire.

Also, and playing devils advocate somewhat, the online community is IMO overly harsh on the game. I've been at it about 2 years, and I've seen 4 new maps added, huge improvements to gameplay systems, stability, and a lot of content added. to say that it hasn't improved at all over the course of its development is just disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wonder what it could be, considering the game is 3 years old and already got a PC release. I would have thought any sequel would be announced in a State of Play or similar. But given the date, and the eyes in the image would appear to be Selene's (the dark right eye), it does seem to be Returnal-related.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Alot of people are saying it's something PSVR2 related, which as someone that uses my headset fairly regularly I wouldn't mind.

GamertagVR has said he was told just before PSVR2 was released that a Returnal VR version was in the works.

Not sure it's the type of game that's best suited to VR as dodging incoming projectiles would be tough/dizzying.

Either way I'm not getting too excited.

• Advertisement

Xbox showcase is on June 9th followed by a showcase for an unknown game which going by the logo and colour is probably CoD: Black Ops related.

Edit: The unknown game is all but confirmed to be CoD.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

This has been announced as a graphic novel and artbook from Embracer owned Dark Horse and an animated adaptation of the graphic novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PixelPlayer

About time. It's got to come with a GP announcement otherwise wtf is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Starfield update now has 60 FPS option on XBox Series X, detailed surface maps, ... and vehicles on the way.

More jobs gone and worse this time it's full studios closing. Both Intercept Games (kerbal space program) and Roll7 (olliolli world) given notice by take 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Roll7 😞 Those folk made some spectacular games: Rollerdrome was maybe even their best yet. What a waste of a good studio and immensely talented people for a minor adjustment on a megacorp’s balance sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Jez Corden said "everything is going over yo" when asked about the next batch of Xbox games going to Playstation.

Makes sense for MS. Their games are getting good reviews on PS. It's all about building up a brand name and franchises ... so the more people on Sony and Nintendo platforms that play MS games the better. The hardware doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement

Earth Defence Force 6 has finally got a release date of 24/25 July.

Kind of feels it's had it's thunder stolen a little by the quite similar Helldivers 2.

Advertisement