Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭brickster69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I had a look through those and some further stats here. It's incredible stuff.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/statistics/

The current estimated cost of Australia's offshore policy is circa 12 billion AUD (I think there are still compensation cases pending).

In total they only ever held 4.2k people on these centers.

That's 2.8 million per person!

Approx 2k have now been returned to Australia.

Slightly less than 1k were successfully deported, or returned 'voluntarily' to origin countries.

Approx 1k were resettled in other countries. This doesn't seem to be included in the above costs. In one case they paid $40million to resettle 7 people to Cambodia!

This approach was the basis of the UK Rwanda policy. The UK are estimating their long term cost at approx 200k per person. I think that's very optimistic, especially looking at these costs and what they've had to pay for the initial cohort.

It's also worth nothing that this approach didn't seem to have any deterrent effect. More boats arrived after it was introduced and was effectively replaced some months later by a push-back approach. The push-back approach does seem to have been effective to some degree, but it's a very different set of circumstances than coast guards face in the Med or English channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but would care to back up your claims of how many economic migrants are coming?

Also, we can't just back out of international treaties as you claim. Items like the Geneva Convention may be decades old but they're still relevant in international law.

Finally the numbers coming to Ireland, 13k a year is really not that big and the amount of scaremongering and ranting on platforms by people about it is over the top and is not representative of how the majority of the population feel about it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I'll counter that and say we shouldn't import more people, regardless.

Rather we should have a 5 year plan to increase necessary skills. If you want trades people, then incentivise the creation of it, not the importation of it.

Throw the necessary money at it to make it extremely attractive. Just like nursing, just like doctors, just like policing. Make it happen.

This reliance on imported population is just lazy and stupid, as it means that more resource is taken up and ultimately improves nothing.

The proof is in the pudding and we're eating it right now. These lazy, backward policies have not worked, do not work, and will continue to not work.

Infrastructure-dictated migration will solve infrastructure over relatively short time, it will incentivise internal solutions, it will increase retention and will overall bring us screaming into sustainability ,functioning economy and societal improvement for all.

Shorthand, we dont need more external people, we need better internal organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"13k a year is really not that big"

Do you reckon this unplanned and continuously rising sudden/new population increase above/in addition to the natural birth rate/population of the country allows communities to increase the numbers of Doctors, Nurses, Dentists, Teachers/school places and housing and welfare to cater for the new arrivals in such a short period of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dmakc

It's amazing the amount of info she left unactioned. She must have literally sat at her desk clicking the pen all day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The UK probably reason that while it costs 200k per person, ultimately it will dissuade many more people coming to the UK, or else going to Ireland instead and claiming asylum. So far that reasoning seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any migrant arriving here from a safe country, or who travelled through several of them to get here at all, is not an asylum seeker. They are an economic migrant looking for the best deal. A true asylum seeker or refugee is looking for somewhere safe from the actual life-threatening danger they are escaping. That doesn't include skipping through half of Europe or Africa in the process.

We can absolutely renegotiate or remove ourselves from previous agreements if the political will and mandate is there. Brexit would be a more recent example, and while the merits of that decision are debatable, the decision was made and the UK is now outside of the EU as was voted for. These agreements are not suicide pacts or written in stone, inviolable until the end of time.

You can keep downplaying the impact if you wish but if we have people sleeping on tents on the streets it's too many! As for the feelings of the majority - I'm sure you're well aware of the many polls over the last few months where an ever increasing majority are expressing not just concern, but dissatisfaction over this current approach.

13k a year (likely to be >20k this year) is a huge amount, you're just being disingenuous by comparing it to France and Germany to make it seem smaller.

It's so big that the government have put out a tender to buy up private properties around the country.

Basically it comes down to this: a bunch of people arguing that nothing can be done based on existing legislation, which is suspicious enough given the widely known profits involved, versus those saying that existing legislation needs to be changed ASAP.

Its fruitless to argue with these sorts of people, no matter what is said, no matter what is proposed, no matter what slice of reality is shoved in tgeir face, all theyll do is reply "sorry cant be done".

Just leave them to it, you'd getter a better debate out of a brick wall, and at least you'd be sure the brick wall is honest in its motivations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭suvigirl

13,000 asylum seekers isnt really that much when you consider the other immigration figures, 2023 saw 29,600 returning Irish citizens, 26,100 were other EU citizens, and 4,800 were UK citizens

You can see the sort of Civil unrest the migrant situation is causing in the UK, this is a video of the far-left battling Police trying to move migrants to Dorset from London.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/02/london-protesters-block-coach-peckham-asylum-seekers-bibby-stockholm

How many of the returning Irish/EU/UK citizens came here without passports or other relevant documentation that clearly identified them?

If they do get it started it might push people to Ireland and other European countries. But so far we only have anecdotal evidence. There's been several posts here from newspapers with interviews where people are saying they are deterred. I've seen similar interviews where people say they're going to the UK regardless, one guy even said if deported he'd simply make his way back to the UK and try again.

I find that 200k future projected cost very optimistic. If it starts to look successful Rwanda have the Tories over a barrel and I'm sure will renegotiate accordingly. It's a business enterprise for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is it 10k, 13k, 20k, 25k, 50k or more annually?

Personally I'd view a figure of about 1k genuine asylum applicants a year as about a decent figure. Send the rest away and/or better stop them at point of entry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Twice today, I've made a reply to one of them and then deleted before posting. Waste of time engaging with those of bad faith.

And let's not forget what the word "citizen" entails.

Its very easy to imagine that its irish people returning from a working holiday and such. But that isn't what that vague word "citizen" entails.

Even the likes of the esri have admitted they don't know who's who and that it's a detrimental thing for planning. And if they're saying it's a problem, well, I wouldn't be tripping over myself to point out badly defined information.

For example, and I could be as easily wrong as right, the likes of family reunification. Do they actually qualify as "returning" at all, or is it simply an addition masked over?

Again, the information really needs to get a lot more granular rather than taking it at assumed face value. As the ESRI have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

This post is almost too nonsensical to even respond to but I'll give it a try.

I'm as well versed on history as anyone alive so spare me this spurious line of argument.

You're attempting to say just because there were major wars in Europe in the past, that importing loads of 3rd world people unsuited to life in Europe and with nothing to offer our ever more complex labour market is fine.

Go further back in History and you will note how many wars were fought against Arab invaders by Greece, Spain and Italy. This is more analogous to our current situation though this invasion is being done under the guise of fake asylum seekers weaponising weak and naive laws against us.

• Advertisement

Legislation isn't changed on the basis of what some people on a thread want.

I'd expect any half way reasonable government to consider other factors, such as benefit, cost and risk.

In this case if the 'benefit' is likely to be high ie you successfully reduce number of IPAs, the cost and risk will be huge.

If the 'benefit' is low, ie you don't successfully reduce number of IPAs, the cost will be wasted, with still some element of risk.

ahh, ok so its not the services that are an issue, or the supply, but the fact some people presented without documents?

that i believe was just under 4000 last year.

and actually uk citizens dont need a passport to enter the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

People are not being deported if they're refused, why are you saying otherwise

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/04/24/fewer-than-100-deportations-of-those-refused-refugee-status-since-start-of-2023-mcentee/

Vivienne ClarkeWed Apr 24 2024 - 14:40

Fewer than 100 of the 7,300 people refused refugee status since the beginning of 2023 have been deported, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has said.

and how do you acsertain which are the genuine ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Wow just wow,

Had to double check my coffee wasn't laced after reading that first. Huge obsession with race there "white"…
    No matter big or small, recent or ancient a war doesn't discriminate with race.
    War is universal, unfortunately not the case for intelligence!

There's been movement between the UK and Ireland for many decades, and a lot of returning Irish/EU/UK are coming here with accommodation, jobs and resources already in place, and we know by virtue of of their passports and I.D that they are who they say they are, and immigration officials can tell if there's any criminal warrants out for the arrival.

Apart from that even you would agree asylum seeker arrival numbers are growing, and many coming from "War-torn" countries are coming here with complex social and medical needs as well as immediate housing needs, not tents, things that regular movements of citizens through our borders don't require.

Recently the policy has been to focus on deporting people who committed crimes. Personally I think that's acceptable given the amount of AGS involvement required in forced deportations especially with current shortages and more pressing security issues.

Previously when we actively tried to mass deport people, I don't have exact figures, but I believe we only deported about 25% due to the inherent difficulties involved, and the cost was significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Which part of the post was nonsense?

I mean, you're saying I'm "attempting to say" something that I absolutely never said. I simply pointed out that references to European cities being unrecognisable or in decline because of migration. That's not saying anything is fine about anything — that's simply saying that if someone is going to talk about cities being unrecognisable or in decline, then it's hardly a crazy proposition that historical context can be referenced to actually examine that.

As for the "invasion" stuff. Spare me. Save it for the highbrow conspiracy banter on Twitter. Even on a practical level, Western nations pose far greater destructive threat to the Muslim world than they pose to us — by a distance measured in lightyears. And Western nations have exercised that imbalance of military power in spectacular fashion, and multiple times of Muslims have been slaughtered by Western militaries, Western incursions, Western occupation and Western weaponry in our lifetimes than the casualties and destruction inflicted by the Muslim world on the west.

But yeah....they're invading us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

Why are we giving anyone that just shows up here €455 a month?

Advertisement