Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Fair enough on 1st part, but how often does the really bad end happen in reality. I've never had any issue, when drinking or not drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

By the comments online you'd swear it was every game, or even often enough to warrant discussion. I've been going to most Leinster matches for years and been annoyed maybe once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The great atmosphere in the Aviva is when you have the big teams in and Ireland/Leinster might lose…the game v La Rochelle cracking atmosphere, the game v Leicester not great

Same with ireland, playing Italy is not getting the juices going but stick the Boks/France/NZ and it will be a lot better

That doesn't matter about the ticket price either

This was ll pushed by Thornley in the press, he got a big discussion going so now he repeats it every year and gets the same reaction, job done as a journalist.

People saying the atmosphere would be better if the place was full of cheap tickets is based on what? I have gone to games v the US etc int he past with cheap tickets and it was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

100% agree. It's not every game and it's actually quite rare at Leinster games from my experience. Happens a bit more frequently at Ireland games.

I've really only had maybe two or three bad experiences so it's certainly rare for me. But when it does happen, it's infuriating but ultimately sheer bad luck.

Also the biggest gripe recently is about the great atmosphere in France for the World cup, the point been that it wasn't just "rugby fans" so that's why the atmosphere was great.

That the ticket price rules out rugby fans. The prices to go to France was way more expensive than going to a game in the Aviva, so much so I couldn't even consider them when I can at least get to the odd game in the Aviva.

So not sure why the ticket price should be used as a way to say the atmosphere will be good or bad

Plus leinster was right to call out the EPCR on the ticket price for the semi, the semi price was last year was ridiculous when the "cheap" seat was similar price to a premium seat in France for the other semi. It was a club game and the ticket prices was similar to a full international

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I paid 40 quid for good seats in the Velodrome for World Cup and 6N games. If November games in Dublin start at 85 euros you're severely limiting the range of fans that can and will attend, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is it not a ticket access issue along with pricing? I couldn't get a ticket to the 6N if I tried, but have been able to attend the last 2 world cups.

The selling of tickets via the clubs is critical to the clubs actually staying afloat, taking that away and you could kill the club game

Then you take that away and sell on ticketmaster and what happens if the atmosphere is no better? so you ended up cutting out the clubs and still have people complaining about the atmosphere because it's not going to change the game you are watching

Its a combination of ticket price and access to tickets from what I can see, it is fired out that it is "corporate fans" but I have got tickets via the club before.

The answer of course is a bigger stadium which means more tickets go on general sale but that ain't going to happen anytime soon

Plus Im not saying they dont have corporate tickets, but they are in boxes/premium in majority.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What do Wales have that make the atmosphere in the Millennium so much better?

If you talk to Welsh fans it's a load of pi**ed fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Corporate tickets are a huge problem and they're not just in premium.

For the 6N games they were readily available for corporates up until the week or two before the game. For regular fans, good luck.

Either way, it's not a discussion for this thread.

In any event and to bring it back to Leinster, I'd say the atmosphere will be akin to the La Rochelle and it'll be electric.

Not so sure, I think a lot of fans expect Leinster to win. For the La Rochelle game even when Leinster got ahead fans still thought they might lose, if Leinster scored 2 quick tries I think a lot of fans would think game over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭techdiver

Oh, I wasn't talking about ticket prices, more so who ends up in the seats. I've been to many a big Ireland game where many people around me were talking about anything but the game and not in the slightest bit interested.

I completely agree though that the atmosphere is naturally going to be better at a game with something on the line. I've said as much on other threads before. I have bene known to push my blood pressure and heart rate to danger levels and be hoarse at the end of games, but I will also admit to finding it difficult to "get to the same level of excitement" for a game where you know in your heart and soul that there is zero chance of losing.

I don't know if Thornley et al have ever attended other sports apart from rugby but the same situation applies. It also now has become, in my opinion, group think or confirmation bias. Example being friends of mine who are more casual rugby supporters went to the CC Final last year. I thought the atmosphere was amazing but they complained that it was bad and no one was "singing" (they are probably bigger soccer supporters than rugby).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ciara-kelly-rugby-seen-as-foreign-sport-with-croke-park-beer-ban-for-leinster-fans-1721421

I remember reading the EPCR statement a few weeks back, it looked to me like EPCR wanted to follow a GAA tradition. Ie it's EPCR that don't want drink, not the GAA... In any case I think the GAA are the ones who will lose out on the revenue stream with this and they haven't asked EPCR to change their minds so who knows really

I do think though that if they don't allow drink to be brought to the seats then that's the point in serving at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Locked and loaded…..

EPCR would take the cut from the drinks etc I would expect, not the GAA who are proably been paid a rental fee which I doubt including additional revenue from food/drink

It was probably easier for EPCR just to follow the protocols, especially when you consider the security staff etc who might not want to deal with drinks out on the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Nermal

Is SafeTix optional for Croke Park? I downloaded printable tickets as soon as I bought them, but now I'm getting emails from Ticketmaster trying to get me to use SafeTix…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭ersatz

if the majority of 6N tickets are distributed through clubs then the major part of the crowd should be informed motivated rugby people. I don’t get how that cried can produce a poor atmosphere. What’s the club/corporate split?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Clubs give/sell their tickets to corporate sponsors. It funds the running of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭ersatz

If 6N is the pinnacle of the game and it’s showcase it seems like poor business to undermine it by using the tickets as currency to curry favour with patrons to the extent that it hurts game say atmosphere and experience. Are clubs getting more from it than they would if the IRFU sold the tickets directly to the public and reimbursed the value to the clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Sponsors agree to pay x to the club for logo put on jerseys.. etc and also to receive y amount of 6 nations tickets. This sponsorship goes to the running of the club/teams for the year.

Again, if the result if a foregone conclusion you can be the biggest rugby fan but it is hardly going to turn into the biggest atmosphere.

And the club is able to keep going, training young players etc and making the provinces and Ireland stronger

People complaining about getting cheaper tickets, in the majority, have no interest in supporting the local rugby club. Some do of course but a lot of people I see online just moaning because they want a day out and declare themselves as "real fans" but never went to a club game in their life

So who is the real fan in this situation? the guy supporting the club and keeping the game going or the person only interested in going to an Ireland game?

It is worth noting, the player going into the academies/private schools have already had years of coaching at the clubs beforehand

Anyway its more of an Ireland than Leinster chat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Expected Leinster 23 for this weekend:

15. Keenan/Frawley; 14. Larmour; 13. Henshaw; 12. Osborne; 11. Lowe; 10. Byrne R; 9. JGP;
    1. Porter; 2 Sheehan; 3. Furlong; 4. Jenkins; 5. McCarthy; 6. Doris; 7. Van der Flier; 8. Conan

Bench
    16. Kelleher; 17. Healy; 18. A'a'loatoa; 19. Molony; 20. Baird; 21. McGrath; 22. Byrne H; 23. Ringrose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

pretty solid team. Still would rather have Harry starting mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is this your expected team or a journalists?

As you have frawley at 15 or not in the 23. With a question over keenans fitness would be risky to have no direct back up for him in the 23.

Also baird dropped for Conan and ringrose not straight back in would be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just bumping this. I've done the same - bought four tickets and we're not all travelling together so we printed them rather than transferred them……I would have thought that the print option wouldn't have been available if we weren't allowed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭user302243

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jenkins played the majority of both games in SA , can't see him starting on Saturday. No one that went to SA will be starting

Molony starts this one.

• Advertisement

Advertisement