Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you report extremely bald tyres?

Options
  • 21-04-2024 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭

If you saw a car parked up in a public place with dangerously bald tyres?

I know some will say no, mind your own business but I definitely would, because they could easily kill someone with tyres like that or themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

To the owner of the car? The gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gardai. why would you report it to the owner? they have eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes

They are on the road with you and others, if they can afford to buy a car they can afford to buy a set of tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I would expect to the Gardai, if the drivers if unaware of the state of their tyres I doubt they would be the type to take kindly to a stranger pointing it out. Let the authorities deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some people don't pay attention to car maintenance. They may not be aware. If you're trying to save lives, you could at least knock on their door.

That could go either way, a lot of people get defensive when you point things like that out to them, so its more likely they will tell you to F off or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Waste of time going to the Garda about a parked car. If you were to go in with dash cam of same car driving dangerously they they would be unlikely to be intt either. They generally don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

100% , rang my local garda station to report 2 lads cutting the cat of a brand new iarnrod eireann van , they said they'll see if " they've a car in the area " , as for the vehicle , the driver probably could care less , after all it's us the tax payer who'll replace it ! , I have the reg of the culprit but I'm sure I can't post it

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

This must be a wind up thread? OP go out for a walk for goodness sake it's lovely outside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Few years back, there was a grab truck from a builder's providers parked completely blocking the footpath beside the local convenience store as I was walking past. I spotted a Garda coming out of the shop, and moseyed over and said to him 'there's a truck over there parked on the footpath...' and he looked at me with a 'yeah, and?' sort of look but I continued 'the tyres on it are totally bald' and he sighed and headed over to deal with it.

I just thought it was kinda funny that the notion of a truck completely blocking the footpath was absolutely ok with him. I'm sure you're glad I've shared this story with you, but in short, my answer to the thread title is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

I genuinely believe there is an apathy among our gardai , bald tyres & cats are low man on the totem poll crime ! I'm beginning to draw comparisons with Italian cops , albeit not draped across the bonnet of their patrol cars but a who cares approach ! As for the 30min traffic enforcement , sitting on the bus in fairview behind a pile of cars clogging the bus lane ! It's those small enforcement s that usually open a larger nest of offending !

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

there is a similar thread link below People post pictures of bad behaviour and can then talk about how bad it is.

Could add pictures of bad thread depth here too?

Typical Irish attitude, I wonder what you would say if this person with dangerously bald tyres crashed into a family member of yours and killed them because of bald tyres. im talking about tyres with zero grip and thread and wire showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Many years ago I reported a wreck of a car that was parked on my street and being driven regularly in my area to Dublin City Council as an abandoned vehicle. IIRC the NCT was out, broken taillight, tyres were probably shite too and other other stuff no doubt.
    I knew the Gardaí would have no/very little interest. About a week after I reported it disappeared off the street. Back a few weeks later with the damage repaired and with an NCT. Maybe it was a coincidence or maybe the Council sent them a letter that gave them a kick up the behind. I’ll never know.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Draw it to the owner's attention surely? There are many people who simply wouldn't notice this. I've known two instances of very intelligent responsible people who were driving with tyres in this condition, until someone else pointed it out to them.

One being my father (pre NCT days). The other being a friend in the UK, a GP, doing high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Just to clarify. The “Bus lane “ in Fairview is not a Bus lane at the moment. There are three reasons, I can’t tell you but a set of open eyes from Alfie Byrne Road junction might notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 koldun

No, I'm busy enough as it is. That's what checkpoints and Garda/RSA are there to do.

what checkpoints? I drive for a living, on the road 7 days a week, driving all over Ireland, I have drove through 2 checkpoints in the last 12 months.

• Advertisement

I've been through a good few checkpoints over the last couple of years. There is quite a bit of them around Dublin but usually in the same spots.

im in the west of Ireland mostly but Dublin at times and other parts of the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Go ahead and report it to the Gardai. In between all the non existent check points that you haven't seen, they might follow up on it. And stick a note on the drivers window saying it has been reported to the Garda. It might get sorted and your life will be ultimately better for saving a life.

would you report a drunk driver? if you saw someone slugging out of a can of beer and stagger to his/her car and drive away?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i rang the council years ago about an abandoned car parked near my house (was reliably informed the gardai wouldn't be interested). the chap on the phone i was talking to told me 'there's nothing we can do if there are still plates on the car'. i replied 'unfortunately, there are plates on it' and he said, yes, there's nothing we can do if the plates are there.

'so are there any other options?'

'THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO IF THERE ARE PLATES ON THE CAR' (said in helpful way, i must say).

'oh, right, thank you!'

so i took the plates off, left them sitting on the windscreen; they were still there two or three days later when i was leaving for work - rang it in that morning, and the car was gone by the time i got home.

Would the Guards actually give you a chance if they pulled you over with bald tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah I would. Let us know if your report gets anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It is amazing how many people are unaware of the condition of their tyres. I am a thorn in the side of many of my friends and family as I am super observant of tyres.

Cars now need so little attention that we forget basic maintenance. I come from a time when you had to check battery, water, oil, tyre pressure regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 635 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

This thread has all the classic Irish responses

• Its somebody elses problem
    • Mind your own business
    • Dont see the issue

I really hate the mindset a lot of Irish people have for things like this. Its not ratting on folks if you see something like this its good civic responsiblity.

Advertisement