Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, I've been hoping that since about 20 Directs ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They might wait for a bigger showcase event from one of the 'big three' (or any of the upcoming Keighly marketing fests), but this event on next week has a lot of high-profile indie studios so isn't out of the question for some Silksong news:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

True, it's just that if it's been rated they would have a nailed down release date and team cherry and Nintendo pr have been working very closely with each other. It just smells to me like a massive stealth drop during a Nintendo partners direct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They have a day one Gamepass deal as well and have announced stuff at Xbox events previously, so honestly it seems like it could feasibly show up almost anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did not realise about game pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Hellblade II confirmed to be 30fps on Series X/S.

How disappointing.

While disappointing, I do at least see how Hellblade 2 ends up at 30 FPS on consoles as it’s pushing some very cutting edge and high fidelity graphical features. I think that particular game does benefit from extra visual fidelity. Compared to some of the other games that have lacked performance modes this gen, I do think Ninja Theory seems to be pushing those boxes pretty damn hard.

Still: would play it on PC where you can crank the performance 😂

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wonder is it the Series S holding it back and they want parity between them, or have they released games with higher framerate/fidelity modes only on the Series X before?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PixelPlayer

It's incredibly frustrating. On PC my preference will be to always max out the fps on my monitor as priority over quality.

Lets not forget we were sold this gen console as 4k/60. It seems no matter how powerful a console is they will always revert back to 30fps after a couple of years.

I don't buy the artistic fidelity argument. I get that an artist will want her art shown in the best possible light. But games are not paintings. They are moving pictures and 30fps in this day and age of modern large screen TVs or even close up monitors simply isn't acceptable.

On top of that it creates lag (30fps RDR2 says hello!) and as a company trying to sell their cloud gaming platform they don't seem to understand just how utterly laggy and unplayable game streaming is at 30fps.

This is the sole reason why my console gaming days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lets not forget we were sold this gen console as 4k/60. It seems no matter how powerful a console is they will always revert back to 30fps after a couple of years.

Was just checking pictures of the console boxes and both have 4k/120. Was trying to think have they had any game that did that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Shouldn't be, plenty of games have been released with a 60fps mode on Series X and none available on Series S.

Quite a few current gen games have had some form of high frame rate support. Insomniac has also led the way with the surprisingly solid 40 FPS modes for those displays to give a much smoother, more responsive experience than 30 (while also offering full 60 FPS and VRR support).

Thanks. I figured that would be the case for 3rd-party games alright, but wasn't sure if they had their own internal policy for first party games that there needed to be parity between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ori and the Wii of the wisps has a mode on Series X which is 6K down sampled to 4K/60. And a 4K/120 FPS mode.

Granted, not exactly the latest cutting edge 3D game, but it looks amazing, especially in HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's everyone's favourite time again, it's controversial gaming list time! Bafta's player's poll for the most iconic videogame characters of all time.

https://www.bafta.org/games/most-iconic-game-character-of-all-time

1. Lara Croft
    2. Mario
    3. Agent 47 (Get t'fúck)
    4. Sonic
    5. Sackboy (GET T'FÚCK!)
    6. Pac-Man
    7. Link
    8. Master Chief
    9. Kratos
    10. Shadowheart (Get t'fúck)
    11. Arthur Morgan
    12. Pikachu
    13. Steve
    14. Solid Snake
    15. Crash Bandicoot
    16. Cloud
    17. Astarion (Get t'fúck)
    18. Kiryu
    19. Ellie TLOU
    20. Nathan Drake

I love Baldur's Gate 3 but two characters in the top 20 and even then, Shadowheart ahead of Astarion? Nonsense. And Agent 47 ahead of Sonic, Pac-Man, Link? And Sackboy ahead of Pac-Man and Link?

Democracy was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I didn't see Deacon St John or the F45 from Ace Combat in your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some awful omissions there. Gordon Freeman, Leon Kennedy, GLadOS, Mega Man, Duke Nukem, Guybrush Threepwood, Samus Aran all deserve to be there ahead of some of those blow-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had to Google Steve 😂 should be Mario, Sonic, Lara. I like Hitman bit how did Agent 47 get number 2.

My mind went straight to Steve Fox from Tekken and I thought "He's not even the most iconic character in Tekken!"

Id put Doom guy on there and remove all of the Sony characters as well as crash Bandicoot. Arthur Morgan and Kiryu can get off the list as well. I'll have to admit master chief is quite iconic even though he is iconic for everything I hate about videogames.

While I don't think Steve will win it he definitely deserves to be there more than all the ones I've removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The lovely Deacon St. John. Shame he was a one off.

Of all of them I'd only include Gordon freeman, maybe duke. It pains me to leave off Megaman but he just isn't that big and only has a decent following now because of smash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That list couldn't stink more of Recency Bias if it tried; Mario behind Lara Croft? I'm not even sure how that works out. Not like Lara's a pin-up for horny teens anymore - unless again, it's Recency Bias and the remastered collection was out around the time?

Christ it's a poll. Thought they were the contenders.

Definitely recency bias there but you also have to remember it's a BAFTA poll so mostly British people. Nintendo doesn't have the same cache in Britain and Europe while Sony would be rather big here. Lara also being a British property would be much bigger there and in Europe.

I'm more appalled that those Sony properties are ahead of miner willy and dizzy in a British poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

My point was that they deserve to be there more than some of the existing picks, which reek of recency bias as Pixel says. I suppose it's all moot unless we can agree on how to define nebulous terms like "big" and "iconic" anyway!

I'd definitely keep Kratos in the list. Not even just as a recency bias thing, but he's a very visually distinct character and protagonist of about 8+ games across 4 console generations. Kiryu, Nathan Drake & Ellie, you could pretty much insert into a huge number of games and they'd look like any other character. Kratos in both the PS2-PS3 era and the last two games really is, iconic.

May not even be in the top ten, but I think of the Sony characters on the list he's the most deserving of a place on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Where is Kirby ?

My gamer brain says to agree with you and I absolutely detest public polls as they are inherently biased by their nature but when it comes to iconic characters then a public poll is more indicative of it.

Saying that, this poll would have been filled out by a certain demographic and age group. Pretty sure if there was a bigger polling group the classic nintendo and Sega characters would be high up there, but I would image Lara would be quite high.

I still wouldn't call Kratos iconic.

An iconic character for me is a character you could show your clueless mother or a sports jock and they will recognise them and associate them with videogames.

Kratos or Nathan Drake and the like would be recognisable as videogame characters but that's more down to the bland design you would associate with "a modern videogame character" as opposed to Lara Croft, Sonic or Mario that I'd consider iconic of gaming as a whole.

• Advertisement

The King of All Cosmos or bust IMO.

Advertisement