Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a woman? **Mod Note In Post #294**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was only trying to point out that all of the people who insist that the answer to this question is so simple and so obvious, are not as clever as they think they are

As Bertrand Russell said

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭markw7

Sorry, I thought you were of an ideologically driven disposition trying to catch people out with some Derrida-esqe nonsense as opposed to someone positing genuine questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭thereiver

The important thing is everyone is an adult when they are 18 I do not think we have specific records of the exact age of Mary when she gave birth to Jesus

I think women want to have the same rights as men in regard the right to work access to contraception equal pay

It kinda is though. If the other side of the argument insists that it's a stupid discussion to even talk about what a woman is.

But more to the point.

Adulthood is a grey area at the point of moving from being a child to being an adult (its a similar problem with going from a gamete to becoming a human) but once they're an adult, they're one for the rest of their life.

Sex is biological and is more or less binary. Most people think You have either 2 x chromomes (female) or an XY chromosome (Male) and this is decided at the point of fertilisation (there are conditions where a person can have 2 x cromosomes and a Y chromosome, and in these scenarios, they are genetically male, but may never develop clearly male external anatomy)

Gender, on the other hand, is not purely biological. The concept of 'Manliness' or 'Womanliness' is very dependent on the society one is born, and there can be more than 2 genders, often seperate genders based on sexuality for different roles that these people often fit in their social structures

In some fundamentalist religious societies, the idea that Gays or Lesbians even exist is strongly rejected, while in other cultures, there are 3rd or 4th (and more) genders for males and females who do not want to slot into the traditional reproductive roles that the majority of biologically male and female people prefer to live within.

Gender is a purely human construct, but in Nature there are lots of examples of transexual species, where animals born with Y chromosomes adopt the behaviours and appearances of females, sometimes even swapping sexual organs within their own lifetime. Eg, Nemo himself, the Clownfish, could very well have lived out the end of his life as an adult Female clownfish given that all Clownfish are born genetically Male and can become female later in life, even after fathering his own offspring when the dominant female in his area dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But you could absolutely argue - and I probably would and so would most people - that gender doesnt make a woman. Sex does. And humans are not clownfish. Neither of those two things should need pointing out.

It's simple you are an adult at the age of 18 at least according to the law how many 17 year olds live in rental accomodation and work full time and pay their own bills ,

Not many .

A wise man(whatever that is) once said "it is important to be open-minded, but not so much that your brains fall out".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where did that magical number of 18 originate from?

Logic, reasoning and common sense. What age would you define an adult human should legally be?

• Advertisement

Sex gets you to a male or a female.

We've already seen the imprecision around labels like man, boy, infant, child, adult, woman, girl, adolescent etc..

Gender is often seen as a synonym for sex, but not everyone agrees and this is probably where a lot of this unpleasentness comes from.

Gender is socially constructed involving roles that vary greatly across times and places. The problem is that both gender and sex are conflated using shared words that are contested and have their own sets of culturally and socially significant meanings and importance.

Some people care deeply about these labels others don't care at all and think the whole debate is silly. Some se biology as the definition of man or woman others see the role and identity as the boundary. It's open for debate and no one side has the monopoly on the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Your own truth is whatever you want it to be. Meaning - as you rightly said - no one has the monopoly on it or can define somebody else's truth. And yes most people dont care. And those who do cant make all the rest care or accept their truth. So once we can agree to be all nice to each other regardless we can just nip this in the bud...

The western world has lost its collective mind when this kinda shite is a hot topic or open for discussion.

Age matters and sex/gender matters, otherwise we would have 13 year old girls in prison with 50 year old men.

Anyone on this thread want to come forward in support of this?

Western country's have decided an adult is 18 years of age I'd say a child is under the age of 14 , w teenager is 14 to 18 .it's important in that you to school at a certain age you cannot do most jobs under the age of 18 apart from being an actor or a YouTuber

I think parents are expected to feed and take care of their children until the age of 18

I think because of the housing crisis rising inflation couples are having less children and getting married later

A girl is simply a name for a young female who is not an adult . I think it's simple science or biology a human born with. a vagina is a woman that's not really up for debate no matter what side of the political spectrum you are on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Well the Bee Gees defined more than a woman, so I'd say a woman is about 20% less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭GSBellew

We are talking about humans here, therefore my statement is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭GSBellew

If you are in to sheep that is your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh goodie, another radical left wingers bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

I haven’t read all the posts but what makes it so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Think that might have been one of mine, but don't think that was the point I was making.... more a case of, 'why are you asking, exactly?'

You would, though. And you ****.*know* you would!

Don't make me do maths on a Sunday **** morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

Too many thatchers wouldn’t work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The answer is still simple, it's 18. You can have immature adults over 18 but they are still adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

In Matt Walsh's documentary 'What is Woman?' he travels to a Maasai tribe in Africa and asks them about gender etc. and what they would think of a man who wants to be a woman. After a short pause, one of the Maasai looks at Matt and says.. "he would not be right in the head".- Sums it up perfectly, I thought.

Advertisement