Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

Does anyone have Michael Neylon U20 Football panel as Munster U20 Football Championship throws in soon. I cant find the panel released online. Big blow to them losing Lissycasey former intercounty starting minor footballers Daire Hill (Repeat LC) and Darragh Killeen (Not able to commit) Both would have been defo starters. On the plus side they have Kilrush's Conor Fennell involved this year. The main scoring threat will come from Kilrush's Dylan O'Brien but does anyone the panel. This age group was very weak at minor so expectations wouldn't be high. The year below the final yeae are stronger so maybe this years team wilp be filled with lads from the year below to give them experience for their final year

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

I think there’s 5 from my own club Kilmurry involved, Josh Moloney, Evan Cahill, Conor Kearney, Cathal Talty and Tomás Sexton. I presume Paul Frawley and Seán Neylon from Miltown would be on the panel as well as the likes of Cian Corry and Odhrán Cunningham from Killimer and Tom Curran from Barefield. Don’t really know who else would be on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

I see Jonah Culligan transferred to St James in Galway. Will be a big loss to Ballyvaughan.

Gary Brennan has transferred from Clondegad to Ahane in Limerick and Shane Brennan has retired due to ongoing injury and Morgan Garry has immigrated so tough times for Clondegad. A team that probably should have a Cusack Cup at least in its cabinet now facing uncertain times

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭fire_man

Yes they were the a top 4 side for a number of years and should have won some silverware.

• Advertisement

The closest they came was probably when Kilmurry Ibrickane beat them in the Cusack Cup final after extra time in Quilty. Tony Kelly was on fire that day but a Noel Downes goal was the difference. Clondegad wont have the services of Tony Kelly, Gudgy O Connell anymore either. It makes Kilrush Shamrocks the clear favourites now for Intermediate championship

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

That game was on in Kilmihil in 2015 not Quilty and it was Keelan that got the goal not Noel Downes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clare 0-19 0-16 Kilkenny

A bit of a non event in the park , a game that never really caught fire , however it was great to see lohan not afraid to really rotate the side against a top side and great to win with that team ,

for years we have been calling managers to use the league in this way , it can only be beneficial later on in the year , both teams had a huge amount of poor wides and sloppy play in general , and the game wasnt helped by fussy refereeing by james owens , david fitzgerld and peter duggan were our best performers , while it seems eamon foudy has redeemed himself from last year , his puck outs are his main strength over the two other keepers on the panel

mark rodgers was kept quiet which is a slight worry , missed a few handy frees and struggled to get involved ,keith smyth tried hard and looks an option off the bench later in the year , but the game never really got going to really see what we have in darragh lohan , conor leen and cian galvin , david reidy conor cleary and paul flanagan very good also today ,great to have the options coming through , but we need to sharpen up the shooting ,

i taught michael carey was excellent for kilkenny one or two stray passes aside , as was tommy walsh and mikey butler

clare scorers

Aidan McCarthy 0-6f

David Fitzgerald 0-5,

Keith Smyth 0-2,

Peter Duggan 0-2,

Conor Leen 0-1,

David Reidy 0-1,

Mark Rodgers 0-1 1f

Diarmuid Ryan 0-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Clare will learn more in that game than 10 training sessions. It was important they won especially with Owens having a stinker of a refereeing display. He was terrible..everything was a yellow and then he suddenly decides to not call trips and pushes. He's awful.

Yeah agree on Keith Smith. He's a viable summer option, great touch and composure. Fitzgerald was good, good scoring and less greedy than normal. Duggan was a revelation, doesn't score but he actually found men with passes today. Very rash after catching one high ball near the square ..he should have turned and made the back bring him down...instead he passes a 50/ 50 to a marked man .. but overall he was good. The half backs were good going forward but bad going backwards. Kilkenny missed alot , especially Mullins and some of the subs.

Midfield is a concern. Rynne is not an option for this year..Lohan maybe but he has alot to learn..constant fouling saw him get the line late on. He ll have to learn not to get caught sooner rather than later. Rogers will be fine ..one off day . They've every chance come championship but I'm not sure they have the sideline nous to win a tight game ..it shall be seen.

Kilkenny were Kilkenny..competent and game but they are a limited side and I don't see Clare losing to them this year in Championship if we happen to meet. But iv said that before. It was an enjoyable second half. We have some very good individual talent but for me the passing is still an after thought fully illustrated by McCarthy belatedly giving a pass to Fitzgerald that would have sent him in on goal. It was an underhit handpass which kilkenny would never mess up. Fitzgerald still got a hurried shot off but it was saved. The bad thing is he didn't berate McCarthy...he should have ate the head off him. Overall I'd be happy enough

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

yeah daragh lohan has a good few bad habits to get rid of , not sure on galvin either , he always gets mentioned as a prospect for the future but i dont see him developing as quick as others around him , today i reckon he was moved to accommodate leen , i also think at this stage that meehan is getting a raw deal off lohan , hes getting very little game time which is criminal for the talent he has , i wouldn't worry just yet about rynne, isnt he still under 20 this year , he showed good promise at club level last year which is a good start for a lad out of underage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You'd have to say it has been a good league campaign, plus minimum 2 more games to go.

We still have all of the 2023 team on the panel (ok, R.Taylor and Kelly are injury concerns).

We have given decent time in the league to Leen, C.Galvin, D.Lohan, Foudy and Smyth. Not sure if any will start in the championship, maybe Lohan, but they're well placed to step in as needed. Aiden McCarthy is back playing regularly.

If picking a championship 15 now, I'd still be a bit unsure of who would start at midfield with Malone. Also, who is first back-up at full back if anything happened to Cleary? ?

if we are assured of league semi final, I'd prefer to take on Offaly in the next game without Cleary and Conlon at 3 and 6. I'd also like to see Meehan given a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Clare Limerick tickets will be distributed through the clubs

We could still end up meeting Limerick in the league before that...

Quite experimental from Clare for Sunday in Birr.

Good to see Meehan getting a start.

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

2. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

3. John Conneally (Clooney-Quin)

4. Conor Leen (Corofin)

5. Ross Hayes (Crusheen)

6. Conn Smyth (Feakle)

7. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

8. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

9. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)

10. Gearoid Sheedy (Ogonnelloe)

11. Davie Conroy (St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield)

12. Patrick Crotty (Scariff)

13. Keith Smyth (Killanena)

14. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

15. Shane Meehan (Banner)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Sure, Johnny Kelly waved the white flag in his media interviews after the cork game last week saying he was playing the extended panel against Clare. And Lohan said, go on, ammmmmmm, grand so.

A good weekend for the senior players to go on the lash. One last blowout before championship :)

didnt make the trip to birr today , was expecting it to be close but wasn't expecting it to be that close , i know we were down to almost our third string today but i would have hoped a few more fringe players stood out , listening to the commentary the more regular players done most of the grafting , thats how it came across on the radio anyway

Clare 0-15 0-12 Aintrim

A much more comfortable victory then the scoreline suggests, antrim a dogged side and one that played too close to the edge at times , were lucky to finish with 14 men on the field , and surprise surprise andy mcintee the antrim manager throwing he weight around on the sideline all day , even made his way over to the clare technical area to have a go at mark fitzgerld when colm mclarnon was sent off for a knee into gavin murrays mid section , he protested to the 4th official that he was jumping for the ball , a ball that had yet to be placed on stephen ryans kicking tee down the other end of the field .....

in the first half antrim were dreadful and the scoreline could have been bigger then the 0-9 0-3 lead built up at half time , clare without emmet mcmahon were ponderous in attack but did expand the lead to 11-03 before the visitors mounted a late comeback , to be fair it was a flattering comeback as 5 of aintrims 9 second half points were scored in the last 5 minutes and the 4 minutes of injury time , when ruairi mcCann kicked aintrims last score in the 75th minute it preceded the last kick of the game

a few worries for mark fitz to worry about ahead of the down game next week , emmett mcmahon was sidelined with an injury , daragh bohannon that was expected to make the bench wasn't in the match day panel , ronan lanigan and cormac murray picked up injuries , not to mention being out scored late on 0-9 points to 0-4 in the last 30 minutes of the game ,

hopefully both will be back along with mcmahon who will be badly needed in newry next week if we are to have any chance of going up

Clare scorers

Mark McInerney 0-4, 3f

Ciaran Downes 0-3, 3f

Aaron Griffin 0-3

Cormac. Murray 0-2,

Dermot Coughlan 0-1

Joe McGann 0-1

Gavin Murray 0-1

Clare 0-13 0-6 Waterford

first round of the under 20 football championship tonight in lemmybrien was played out in terrible conditions , clare had the lead at half time with a strong wind at their backs leading 0-6 -0-3 at the break

waterford made it more then a contest until the sending off of midfielder david butler half way through the second half , a brace from josh moloney a tom curran point from play and 2 darren keane frees helped clare pull away in the last fifteen minutes to go top of the phase 1 group

clare scorers

Darren keane 0-6 6f

Josh Moloney 0-3

Conor Fennell 0-2

Tom curran 0-1

Sean Neylon 0-1

hold on now a second , your barred from this thread until 6 o'clock next sunday evening , the last time you were hanging around here ye beat us out the gate , not only that but ye didn't win another meaningful game for the rest of the year

every single game plan we had was curbed , even our goalkeepers one flaw of defending sideline balls from 45 yards away ye were on top off.....

i was only walking the dog in ogonnelloe hai ,he said !!

• Advertisement

I've already got the boot down for Murty Browne's.

Sure, listen, I'll walk the legs off the dog around a few fields this week. Might even water the plant in a few Ennis shebeens.

But sure we're only delighted to be taking the field with such an elite outfit so early in our transition. We'll show up and take our learnings for a bit of growth in the future.

you will find nothing in murty brownes only horseracing talk and football , tis just a poor mans ballyclerihan, also i live up the road so stay out!!

a hay barn beside the shanbeen in doora is where the dubliners slept after a gig their back in the mid 60s so theres nothing there of any interest , that's the venues only claim to fame , we dont want to be boring you with them places , the dog loves slieve barnagh anyway by the sound of his bark.....

Only joking. Sure, you'd run a finger down a wall here, from The Power House to An Teach Ol, and the game plan would come away in your palm.

Sure, a good pair of binoculars from the Leprechaun House would nearly do it.

your starting to sound now like 'Barry' from eastenders in them paddy power ads , as peter crouch would say , we have been too busy trying to win a real competition lads 😂

it was probably a tough spring last year , but he was the best goalkeeper in the club championship , he has 20 yards in his range ahead of every goalkeeper in the county

but quillagin is by far the best allrounder and shot stopper , there's no fear of him dont worry 😎

WIll ye risk Hogan and Conlon? Probably save em for the final.

yup..... is the only answer lohan is likely to give hopfully not , and cleary on the bench also

The league semi final v Tipp is scheduled for Portlaoise, which seems kinda random.

Could they not just toss a coin for home advantage or something

• Advertisement

Could the ennis pitch have taken another game? Thurles is not available. Has to be got right for championship. Gonna be a lot of abuse of fields in the next few months from senior to under 20s in both codes.

Advertisement