Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

But it IS a Ministers job to WORK on her brief and understand what her responsibilities are.

It is also a ministers responsibility to tell the truth! Otherwise I’d prefer an autocracy with people who know what they are doing.

Common sense (which seems in short supply these days) would also dictate that you only take a job if you can also DO IT! I think most people would love a job with a salary of 150K plus a year and no experience and not doing their job. Where do I apply?

The fact that ANYONE listens to a minister or respects them is alien to me. Name one minister in the current government who has achieved anything? Yet they act as if they are saving the planet and are Ireland’s answer to its problems, when in fact they ARE the problem.

Give me results, I give you respect. Give me lies and ego, I’ll give you abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

No surprise here. Dee is untouchable. She knows it. Her solicitor knows it. The PAC know it. After making out that she's practically on her deathbed, they haven't a leg to stand on when it comes to chasing her. This needed a Garda investigation from the start. It's only in a court where anything gets done in this Banana Republic, and even then it's no slam dunk that any justice will be done.

As it stands, Dee has, I'm sure, her own golden handshake in her arse pocket and a nice pension to see her out for the next 20/30 years. Great little country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sunday Morning 9:35am - RTÉ1 - The Repair Shop

originally aired in March. 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/public-not-told-new-rte-chair-terence-orourke-was-involved-in-kevin-bakhurst-job-interview/a764087574.html

Public not told new RTÉ chair Terence O’Rourke was involved in Kevin Bakhurst job interview

Ah here every week this fraudulent establishment keeps on giving. Jobs for the boys and girls

Never paying that tax again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was amused by the statement that listed all the things she can't do , if she's not in a coma she's lying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Read this, this morning. talk about a set-up insider? RTE is really a sink hole of depravity! transparency the “minister” states, all the time plotting the removal of one chair to replace with an insider of humongous experience of corruption.

At this stage, it is better to just put RTE out of its misery and come clean. This saga will just roll on with lies, lies and more lies. Something or someone MUST become the whistle blower. Bakhurst is up to his eyes in this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Terence needs to resign.

If you want to make it a clean slate, then this crap has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Trampas

So for all the cost cuts required rte still decided to send a team over to present the rugby from the ground instead of the rte studio. So who signed off on that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea I saw that one earlier and was not one bit surprised.

There's an entire organisation of hangers-on, lobbyists/NGOs, former politicians, relatives, in-laws and "connected" folk who rotate from board to board, post to post.

It's not unique to Ireland of course, but this being a small country it's more obvious than most when this happens.

Of course the notion of "conflict of interest" is alien to this group and their employers, so I wouldn't expect anything to change.

There's no benefit to the current lot of politicians to do so because when their time in their own role ends, they'll be looking to join this group themselves.

Besides, it's taxpayer money. Who cares, right?

... Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

How can you be influenced by TV if you don't have a TV? You are talking as if not having a TV only restricts reception of the BBC. And so what if they were mostly in Dublin? . Once TV's became available it was clear that most people would have had access to the BBC. And btw what do you think people were doing before they had televisions? Dancing at the crossroads to the local fiddler perhaps? You are discounting the effects of newspapers, foreign literature which was abundant (even the stuff that was censored) and radio. Radio shows like the archers were as familiar to Irish audiences as to the British! You are literally claiming that the arrival of RTE was the only vector for the population to be influenced by TV. It clearly wasn't. My father who was based in Kilkenny with the Army in the 1950's used to drive to rural pubs on a Saturday with his mates to watch the Busby babes. No RTE required. RTE was set up to counter or attenuate the influence of the BBC. Therefore the only conclusion you can make from this is that the state sought to limit the cultural influence of the BBC. And that is the point. Liberalization happened despite RTE not because if it. By 1975 over a million people (at least) between Dublin and Waterford had access to cable TV or the pipe as it was called. Those that didn't have it used the BBC aerial which almost every house in that region had back then. So any monopoly that RTE may have had was virtually gone after about 13 years. If it existed at all. In 1985 people in Dublin and Waterford with 'the pipe' would have received broadcasts from Channel 4 such as 'My beautiful launderette' which explored LGBQT issues. In 1996 RTE were still agonizing over a 'Gay Kiss' on Fair City that never happened. I will say it again. Had RTE not existed then the forces of liberalization that were absent would easily have been taken up by the BBC other media.

Well if you can't imagine why you are proving my point then it must be because you have a serious lack of imagination. Because the premise falls under the category of 'bleeding obvious'. It boils down to this. If RTE is such a powerful liberalizing force as you seem to think it is. Then tell me why it took until 1996 to liberalize divorce and 2018 to liberalize abortion? The obvious answer is that when it came to liberalizing the country the facts on the ground show it to have been ineffective. You judge things by results not by self aggrandizement!

Now as for the 'reality' of Ireland being some sort of 'outlier' once again this is a hagiographic version that is at odds with facts on the ground. You are acting as though the whole of Europe was some sort of liberal bastion and Ireland was outside of the gates. It wasn't. Firstly you have to discount 50% of Europe that was under the yoke of communism which only allowed the authoritarian state as a source of social cohesion. This was the state of affairs in Eastern Europe. As for abortion being available in those countries as a personal freedom, the facts were it was a product of the despair and squalor that existed in those authoritarian countries. Likewise you had most of Southern Europe in fascist or pseudo fascist government. Once these ended there was no outburst of 'liberalization' as you are claiming. In the case of Spain it was a return to the business prior to the civil war. A highly factional system where the far right are once again knocking on the door. You also have to exclude Germany whose liberal system was imposed on them after being defeated in world war 2. What is left after this that is worth talking about? Britain and France. The former which I already explained was only de-jure liberal but in reality has a patronage system in place and a state religion. While France is on its Fifth Republic and still tethering on the verge of the Far Right taking over.

There is no shifting goal posts here! You are a hammer that wants to define every problem as a nail. You just want to define liberalism in the context of abortion and divorce. But even if you do this it is also obvious when you look at European countries that have self determination then you can see that it is not as cut and dry as you are claiming. I gave you the examples already with abortion. But divorce has similar bifurcations. There is no uniform standard for divorce and abortion in Europe and the same applies to liberalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭RoTelly

There is a huge difference between an indie film and a soap opera. You'd have to look at C4's Brookside more so for that, also TG4 had already introduced a LGBQ+ central characters to its Ros Na Run long before Fair City.

This idea that broadcast was central to much of this is slightly misplaced or that it is the role of a PSB to do this. You'd imagine that in the US they needed PBS, when they were besotted by largely conservative TV from NCB, CBS and ABC, through out the 60s and 70s. I imagine you'd have to wait until the arrive of FOX (which is slightly ironic).

You also have to remember that Channel Sore wasn't mainstream when it first arrived, this changed with the arrival of EuroTrash!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The difference between a soap opera and an Indie movie is only a category one. And this wasn't the only such movie that Channel 4 broadcast. It was one of the hallmarks of the channel.As far as movies went it was avant garde but how can you not say it was mainstream? There was a lot of family content that was hugely popular such as countdown and brookside that were instant success stories. The comic strip presents, The tube. These latter examples were entertainment staples for the younger generations in particular the punk and post punk scenes of the 80s. It wasn't exactly the dark web.In fact it was far from it. It was virtually impossible for it not to be mainstream when you only had six channels to choose from (4 in the UK) Documentaries like equinox and secret history would become groundbreaking.While After Dark was revolutionary. Reducing all of this to 'Eurotrash' is a huge disservice. The Word was another show which was hugely influential. Channel 4 revolutionised British and I would say Irish TV too. With regard to Irish TV I would say that Nighthawks in the Shows like 'Don't feed the gondolas' owe their formats to Channel 4 influence.

If I am reading the rest of what you write correctly then I would tend to agree. I don't believe it is broadcasters job to socially engineer a population one way or the other.But I noticed that Irish broadcasters had to semi-hide their 'Gay Kiss' on TG4 which tells its own story. But my basic point is that RTE whatever influence people think it had is incidental. Ireland was infused with popular culture from Britain and the USA for generations. Saying there was "no sex" in Ireland before RTE is like saying there was no cowboy films in Ireland before RTE. It doesn't stack up when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

When is the next stage of this ‘investigation’ and what is that expected to be ?

How do you mean semi-hide? AFAIR it was on a beach and was part of an affair. Regardless of the Kiss two of the main characters were in a relationship for a number of years and one was taking care of his nephew.

I am not saying that C4's early years weren't influential but in fairness towards the start of the 1990s they started down the road of mainstreaming the channel. The difference between an Indie-film and a soap is that a soap is popular and largely well known.

I'd argue that "network 2" owes much of its programming to both BBC 2 and Channel 4, and had it been treated correctly may have been that broadcaster. The End, Nighthawks, Don't Feed The Gondolas, Monday Night Drama/comedies. And on. If you look at the cuts to RTÉ2 since 2006 you can see it is largely less than what it was back in 1978 when it started airing.

I always thought RTÉ should have decided that RTÉ2 should have been their independent production channel, with in-house programming on RTÉ ONE. This would have allowed for some competition between 2 different public service broadcasters even if only internally.

______

Yesterday

Governance reports from the Department. And I think a report from PAC. There are a few reports to come.

Employment at RTÉ is also a big issue, could cost them upwards of 30m at this point.

______

Yesterday

The fact that they put it on TG4 and not inserted it into a story line on fair city is what I mean by semi-hiding it. Like what the BBC did with the Nolan Show i.e. choosing a relative back water to have a robust 'Trans' debate rather than doing it on BBC1. This is an old trick that politicians use. The Tory government did it in the early days of the peace process to communicate policy intentions to the IRA and Sinn Fein. In general I often thought that TG4 was more progressive, judging by their content. At least it seemed that way to me when I used to watch it. I was essentially forced to watch it because where I lived at the time in 2004 basically only had access to the terrestrial channels and no internet. Hard to believe now but the content was exceptionally good I thought. Plus I thought the content was heavily influenced (perhaps this was a debt of gratitude) by people like Mairtin O Cadhain and Tomas McGiolla probably through the organizations they help establish which eventually would help create and lobby for TG4. I thought the channel did more with less and RTE could learn lessons from it.

I know what an Indie film is and the difference between a soap. My point is that there was content on Channel 4 that pushed the envelope and it was widely watched. The soaps, no matter what or where you watched were more or less done by 8pm and what people watched after that was a lot more diverse.And this is where CH4 capitalized. For example I remember seeing part of a movie called "the fruit machine" back in the 80's and my father quickly changing the channel when he realized the way it was going. This was for my benefit as I was only 13 at time. But when I went into school the next day, the whole class had seen it all or part of it. Art house or not movies like these were widely seen in Ireland. I think RTE knew the writing was on the wall if they didn't compete. So they did.

Incidentally there is a similar debate ongoing in the UK around Channel 4. In essence the question being how channel 4 can do more with less.

RTÉ isn't TG4 and their only association with Ros Na Run was that it was created by 2 RTÉ producers in the early 1990s before the arrival of TnaG. RTÉ had nothing to do with "hiding" the story line, as they weren't involved, at the time RTÉ had two soaps of their own. TV3 had none and lack any real regulation to allow it to compete, perhaps they should have optioned a soap when they began.

My point is that C4 was "hiding" such "progressive" ideas via supporting an indie flick rather than via something like inserting it into a storyline in Brookside (not sure when Brookside tackled the issue, early 1990s?).

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

So RTE is not TG4! Then why did you bring them up in defense of RTE? You responded to my posts where I was arguing that the role of RTE in liberalizing Ireland is a fallacious idea. The "Gay Kiss" that never happened in Fair City is evidence of an RTE that was basically sclerotic and lagging when it comes to that particular issue. The fact that TG4 did it is Kudos for TG4 while RTE agonized and bottled the so called "Gay Kiss" just shows how ineffective RTE are at this despite alll of the hype.I mean it was really old hat at this stage thanks to C4. And your point about C4 and Brookside is wrong.Apparently they were actually the first TV soap to broach this issue in as far back as 1982.Which would have been available to a huge amount of Irish viewers.They did it again with Anna Friel in the 90s So what is it again that were C4 hiding? They were the ones who commissioned My Beautiful Launderette and many other movies of similar content. The fact that they are Indie (Which is debatable) is irrelevant. The TV guides (Irish) were emblazoned with four and five stars for that particular movie and went on to win awards all over the English speaking world. It is frankly silly to suggest that C4 was doing anything other than trailblazing on this issue.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/eastenders/a860766/times-soaps-broke-lgbtq-ground/

Sorry I wasn't aware of the character in Brookside, I unfortunately grew up in 2 TV land.

I am comparing TG4 to RTÉ as it is our other national public service broadcaster who has often been more "progressive" in its storytelling.

I'd argue that one of the reasons that RTÉ axed "Tolka Row" was due to the rural audience. "Tolka Row" would have had to have started to talk about marriage breakdown or infidelity as it went into its second decade on the air, later talking about single mothers and so on, it was easier to think that The Reardon's soft approach was breaking the boundaries. It's not until Glenroe that you have a divorcee in a series!

You have to remember for many in cable areas C4 was beginning to compete with satellite TV after only 5 or so years on the air. C4 was at the time a non-mainstream channel.

Either way this is just academic, while RTÉ may not have been very progressive they were not making much head way in other areas of TV production either.

______

Yesterday

Someone messaged me about a post in the Tubs thread and I am sure I have posted this story before, the post in the Tubs tread was just to point out how you can use a death to deflect on other issues. I have taken the name of the personality that died out of this post but you can find out who it was yourself.

It is relevant here to show how RTÉ throw money around.

I FoI'd RTÉ a few years back on their executives expenses, they published them back in 2009, so I FoI them twice asking for the same details. I passed this on to the Sunday Time who published them 

In 2020 the executives board expenses went down to 20K, but within that Jon Williams (MD News) took most of the expenses, but in the FoI RTÉ pointed out that he had been given return flights to NYC. This was agree as part of his pay package, because he is on the board of a NGO called Committee to Protect Journalists, who meet quarterly in NYC, Jon had worked for ABC in NYC before taking up the role in RTÉ.

He attended all of those meetings in person in NYC, during his time in RTÉ, but of course 2020 covid hit meaning these meeting don't go ahead in person but RTÉ had already paid in advance for his trips to NYC and couldn't get a refund for those cancelled trips, however he did go on the first trip of the year to the meeting but he cut the it short to return home for the funeral of a recently deceased colleague and well known personality. (they really wanted to make it clear why he returned.)

Expenses paid to the RTÉ Executive board 2011 to 2020:-

• 2011 - €24,233
    • 2012 - €41,687
    • 2013 - €58,221
    • 2014 - €64,547
    • 2015 - €77,666
    • 2016 - €62,810
    • 2017 - €56,895
    • 2018 - €53,912
    • 2019 - €59,726
    • 2020 - €20,708

These figures don't include the car allowance given to executives at RTÉ, nor the barter account (In 2016 Dee Forbes also got a €50k moving fee, this is not included in this list). They gave me a full breakdown of the expenses (flights, entertainment, taxis etc and the position of the person who claimed the expenses) and the obvious question was why, how and where did the head of news fly to in 2020? The responded said: flights cancelled, no refund and he'd returned home early on the first trip to attend the Funeral, RTÉ paid for this return trip, with no refund for the return trip he should have made.

Jon left RTÉ in 2022, potential using the 2021 exit package!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I was sure Jim Jenning would have one that for "I got out just in time"

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Baba Yaga

has she been spotted out and about anywhere? its like wheres waldo at this stage!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Isn't she British? Maybe she returned to uk.

Possible interview with tubs 😄😄 in her future😁

This woman is never going to answer for her actions.

Rte isn't willing to go to AGS and make a complaint. Big can of worms there.

The gov hasn't the cojones 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bob Marley Park

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭csirl

+1 UK television gave a window to the world that previously didnt exist. RTE lagged way behind it in terms of social progression. Channel 4, even though it didnt appear until the early 80s had much much nore influence on social change than the LLS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement