Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,193 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes that's true. Members of the Dail have been elected by the public. People in the Citizens Assembly have not.

The Dail is the platform made up of citizens. TDs are citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is far to ironic given the level of bitching you have been giving out against those elected citizens in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree to an extent with this.

However sometimes it is an important change that they have lobbied about, that they are campaigning for.

As in this case but they lost sight of the most basic aspect of their representation.. Who exactly they were reresenting and what would serve those people most.

Don't understand these posts.

Clearly it's their opinion.

Why not contribute something more than this.

• Advertisement

Do you want to see Citizens Assemblies having more power. A law that makes their recommendations mandatory?

Otherwise, it's an expensive talking shop that gives advice to the government which it can choose to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

People will always complain about the government wasting money, but the €23 million pissed away on these completely pointless, virtue-singalling referendums has to be the most aggregious waste of taxpayer money I can remember in some time.

That money could have done some real good for carers- it could have created some extra respite places/beds, given some additional home help hours to those that need them, given some ill or infirm people some needed mobility equipment, etc.. but no; it was all burned away to appease the screams of some leftie NGO's. An appalling and shameful waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

When the citizens Assembly come out with something the government like they use it as justification for something. When they suggest something the government don't like they will just ignore it. It's a pointless exercise to give the false impression that the government are listening to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As someone stated earlier, it was probably worth every penny to expose the government and indeed political parties for what they have become/are and the gravy train that is the NGO's.

Showed us that Joe and Josephine public aren't easy convinced to do something just because the main political parties tell us to and MORE importantly I think these results MAY give the parties involved an idea of where they are at in general.

Baffling people still defending the concept even after this farce.

They don't seem to consider the enormous cost of these things as well. No sense that they care about the huge cost of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It goes even deeper than that. Not only are they being lobbied by organisations paid by them but they are often brought to court by the same NGOs they are funding.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In all fairness they thought they were on a winner and a vote catcher for what was going to pass, Mary Lou wants power at all costs and yesterday outside the count centre scored a huge own goal, talking about bringing it back to the people and clearly so far removed from what the people’s vote is telling her in the referendum, the united Ireland agenda took a major step back yesterday for the shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

At this stage I feel SF are intentionally trying to avoid being in government. Are they honestly this incompetent and politically deaf. They would have had a real bounce backing a No but have made themselves look like just another bunch of out of touch fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I have no issue with active organised groups lobbying for certain policy changes that are in their interest. Lobbying and putting forward your ideas is essential in democracy - as long as it is independent.

What I do have an issue with is public funding being used to further bend policy in favour of the NGO's that already have an outsized voice due to their public funding. There is no room for other voices, especially voices that are out of vogue even if they reflect the opinions of substantial portions of the electorate.

Public funding of NGOs have essentially allowed social policy formation to be outsourced to a handful of self interested, merrion st bubble, professional activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Augme

I can also see why others had issue with it, but I still don't think their issues are justification for banning it either.

I read the proposed amendments. I have a reasonable understanding of Constitutional law and how it works with legislation. Read up on the concept of durable relationships within European law and then read other bits and pieces around the Internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭supermans ghost

No, that would most people’s opinion, if these referendums tell us anything, it is that certain politicians and certain NGO’s have agendas that are not supported by the majority of the Irish Electorate, it’s all a money game.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Just about on time! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.😊 Saw a lot of happy mothers out enjoying the day with their families.

Public funding allocates a very similar amount to each charity and NGO.

. Maximum is about a quarter of a million per year for all and considering the services given to the state and its citizens by many it is a small amount.

Most of the larger organisations fundraise to pay their staff and help train volunteers.

Talking about RCC, Hospice Care Foundation, Childline, DePaul etc

Am sick of this craxy anti NGO narrative on this and other threads.. I in my previous life as a nurse, have had to refer patients many times to different charities and NGOs because our state does not provide complete help and care, and we would be lost without them.

The money they get from the state does not even pay staff salaries and yet you talk about ', Merrion square blah blah.

Who here has not had to or their families have not had help from some one of our NGOs in our /their life time?

The amount of funding does not oblige any NGO to cow tow to the government. Its standard. fare and similar in most Western countries

The work they do is the cheapest service the state can get without paying for it.

However I do agree as I said previously that they need to ensure that they represent their clientele and not some thing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A citizens assembly should be like Jury duty. It should be member of the public randomly selected. It should not be loaded full of NGOs and lobbyists. If that NGO/Lobbyists want to present their case to the citizens assembly, that's fine but they most certainly shouldn't be in the assembly.

If you wanted to invade Iceland, I'm sure you could find 100 to just throw into a citizens assembly that would be mental enough to go with it. Then you could try and invade Iceland because the citizens assembly recommend it. That's how ludicrous it is.

I'm surprised Vladimir Putin hasn't thought of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Governments across the West are being sent the message that doing an Oscar-worthy CCP impression in a representative democracy only works until the average voter is alone inside a voting booth, with the dark triad of government, media and NGOs firmly on the outside.

Their ability to receive and respond to that message will shape the future.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

You may be sick of the anti NGO narrative, but it's not come out of nowhere. Take for example the NWCI, in 2022 of its €1.13m income, €1.07m came from the State. The NWCI are an activist organisation, the definition of a lobby group and they are almost entirely State funded.

And you have it completely wrong too, it's not that NGO's kow tow to Government, but the other way around. With money and the associated programs they get access to politicians and media and with that access they get influence. A lot of influence.

It was not at all surprising that the Galway Chair of FF said on Saturday that NGOs have better access to ministers than the Party does.

Surely that depends on the NGO.. Or are all NGOs similarly blackened?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The entire sector could certainly do with an assessment and audit.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The fact that is considered a "sector" tells you everything you need to know tbh.

Think Vlad has thought of discrediting all NGOs though. Its a known policy / campaign to try to turn every democratic country against NGOs.

Why? Because they provide aid and support and encourage people to fight for their rights.

You say that the citizens assembly is 'loaded " with NGOs.

Do you have proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

From my reading of their website, they are chosen like jury duty. Invitation to apply is sent at random in the post.

The influence of the expert advisory panel on 99 randomers is something I'd wonder about.

To my mind the whole thing is window dressing and a pretence at democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭leath_dub

It absolutely does not

The outcome of most citizens assemblies are pre-determined by the terms of reference and the demographics of the members.

They are simply a vehicle for government enacting policy while being able take a step back from responsibility by using it as a civer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Shoog

I disagree.

As we saw with this referendum the government ignored the advice of the citizens assembly and came a cropper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of people I spoke with are furious that Leo said we didnt understand the words . I understood them full well thank you Leo and I am not stupid . I understood and decided to say No and No . They need to role back on this notion that we are all stupid for not agreeing with them

Advertisement