Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah I don't love it.

It's slick as you say probably top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭supereurope

You're right on the juries, but I'm not so certain about the televote. Looking at Sweden's televote results between 2016 and 2021, when the country sent a conveyor belt of ultra-polished, bland pop males that the juries fell over themselves voting for, Sweden struggled with the public vote. It's only been with female singers in 2022 and 2023 that Sweden has had a decent televote in recent years, so with M&M being very much ultra-polished, bland pop males, I don't see them storming the televote.

Apparently, it's Björkman's dream that Sweden achieves its record eighth win on home soil. It won't come true this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Unforgettable, a pretty ironic title.

Would be great if they sent a mad bastard novelty act instead of pure jury bait year after year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This was actually my favourite song from Melodifestivalen this year and it didn't even make the final

Would've been nice to see Sweden send something a little different for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Libertine07

Exactly what you expect from Sweden, and that's not a good thing IMO.

The only entry of theirs I've liked in the last decade was Cornelia in 2022, that felt like it had a bit of a soul to it.

They're back to bland empty songs, well produced with flashy staging. It's just so boring at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, those are great view numbers for Bambie - miles ahead of our other entries for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭squonk

Despite being a blatant ripoff of The Weekend’s general style, I think that’s great. Competition-ready staging too. Strong contender in my book.

Linda should shut it really. I know she won but, as winners go, I think she was our least able. Why Me is my least favourite and I think she was quite lucky. I don’t know what being in Louis’ back pocket is doing for her career really. All she’s doing at this point is embarrassing herself on an annual basis.

Editing 10 minutes on and I can’t remember the song apart from some Weekrbd songs going round my head now so it’s really just about impressive staging there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was literally going to post that Swedens song sounds like a song the was rejected for a The Weeknd album….

She probably has lots of young Irish boys approach her regularly desperate to get a look in with Louis…

• Advertisement

Good point. <shudder>. Louis is a spent force these days too. In any serious organisation he’d be told “thanks but no thanks” at his Eurovision entry pitch meeting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair to Martin, this article has her much more complimentary about Bambi, so would wonder if her comments were out of context?

"I hope Bambie Thug does extremely well.

"Because we need to do well, we need to get back into that top 10, we need to qualify,” she said.

"I think they have something about them that I like, there are parts of the song which are very, very good,” Ms Martin said.

However, the former Eurovision winner has said she’s not a fan of the “screaming bit” of the song.

"I think they could do very well – they could use that as a platform and then move off and I'd love to see that for them.

“There’s always two or three quirky acts.

"They haven't won so far but they seem to do well,” she added.

Maybe but it’s qualified praise still. I bet in Linda’s mind none of tge current crop of entries are much good which is a more telling tidbit from that article. It reads to me like “I think they’re shîte in general but they’re a novelty act so might do ok. I better say something nice so I don’t sound like a witch myself!”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I remember back in the day most young fellas were trying to get away from him....creep.

I agree - "Why Me?" was our worst and least-deserved winner. She was lucky that 1992 was a terribly weak year - it's one of the worst contests of all-time in my opinion. Michael Ball was the best performer there, but he was hamstrung by a bad song. With a better song, maybe a big ballad similar to the song Austria sent that year, he'd have walked it.

"Terminal 3", however, was a great song, and she should have won with that. Had she won in 1984, we'd probably have been spared "Why Me?"

Thing is, Linda's comments are exactly the same every year ahead of Eurosong: "[Insert name of Louis Walsh's act] are young, good-looking, and they can sing. I think they can go all the way."

I don't know what makes my blood boil more - Linda's inane comments, or the media outlets that ask for her opinion every year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Portugal also chose last night

I like this, think it's a very interesting entry. Potential for some jury love, a Saudade, Saudade result not out of the question I think.

Meanwhile, rumours abound that Iceland will announce their withdrawal tomorrow. Whilst I admire their stance, I think at this stage I'd prefer if they showed up. Their withdrawal unfortunately isn't going to change anything, and Israel will be there with or without Iceland. Feel sorry for Hera Bjork getting caught up in all this mess.

Indeed.

A boycott was only going to mean something if several countries boycotted it.

I feel really sorry for Hera. Had Bashar won the Icelandic NF last weekend, you can guarantee he'd be going to Malmö. RUV made no secret of the fact they wanted Bashar to win and it almost feels like they're saying "Well, you didn't send the act we wanted, so tough, we're not going to Eurovision at all."

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Advertisement

The Israeli song is a bog standard ballad, I can't see juries nor televoters getting behind it in any meaningful way. Will qualify and finish mid table.

After all that fuss, it's a painfully average song.

Israel may as well have been kicked out of the contest because nobody is voting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Shoog

Going to be boycotting eurovision this year.

They always do quite well (That Netta/Stupid Boy/Chicken song being a particular low point in Eurovision history in my opinion).

And I wonder is it because of the large diaspora of Jewish people, automatically voting for the homeland, regardless of song quality..?

To be fair, Israel (nearly) always sends a decent-ish song, and when they don't, they don't qualify. I don't think it's like Romania between 2004 and 2017 when they could literally send anything and still do well. Israel had a weak song and a really obnoxious singer two years ago, and he was rightly left behind in the semis. Dana International, a Eurovision legend, came back to the contest in 2011 with a terrible song and was also dumped out in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭LordBasil

Regarding Israel, I don't think there is a large Israeli/Jewish diaspora that votes for them regardless every year. Israel didn't qualify in 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 (there was even talk of them withdrawing at the time) but then 'Golden Boy' in 2015 was a real turning point for them in the contest. Since then they've only failed to qualify once (2022), won in 2018 & finished 3rd (2023). They are usually a strong competitive country in Eurovision with well performed songs and only fail when they send sub-par entries.

Their entry this year is very beige. In a normal year it would be a borderline qualifier, this year I'm not sure what will happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think they will qualify myself - there's bound to be a lot of Israel supporters out there who will vote for them for the hell of it (i.e. people who are pro the Netanyahu regime and pro-the war. But the juries will be a big problem for them in the final...many jurors might be tempted to place them last in the ranking, for the same reason as those who support them.

Personally I’ll be boycotting them. Not even going to listen to the song and I’ll go make a cup of tea while they are performing.

That being said I do feel sorry for the artist really. It’s not their fault that their country’s politics is screwed up right now but I just can’t bring myself to entertain them at Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I wouldn't fancy being the Israeli performer in Sweden. It will be a very hostile audience if the situation in Gaza hasn't changed.

Advertisement