Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Had a high spec ID.5 on a 3 day loaner from a garage, it was a beautiful car, I sat into the ID.3 afterwards and I wouldn't go for it after the ID.5. I dont have the budget for any but I guess I will stretch to the 4 at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Agree with your comment on the leaf - didn't think it has as good a BMS as the ID.3? - no water cooling or am I wrong?

The Leaf BMS is fine. Its job is to protect the battery as best it can and it does that.

The lack of heating/cooling in the Leaf is often mentioned on here but in my view that isnt the main reason for Leaf battery degradation. The main reason is simply the chemistry of their batteries. They are not as good as the competitors. Nissan did not advance their battery tech much.

For the Leaf to have battery heating and cooling only really matters in a hot climate where the battery would regularly overheat. In general, its not an issue here because of our climate. You can heat the Leaf battery to the point where the BMS has to throttle charge speed (aka rapidgate) to allow it to cool, but that doesnt cause degradation it just causes frustration for the owner.

The majority of degradation in the Leaf battery is time based. At least thats my experience of it. After 5yrs mine was at ~15% degradation I think. If it had a battery heater/cooler it would have made no difference as the battery never overheated anyway (well, maybe once when I DC charged a bunch of times on the way back from the UK).

for degradation calc I was using HV battery energy content divided by HV energy content day 1 (55.8kWh)

Thats probably OK too as long as you have recently taken the car to <10% and charged to 100%. Then take the readings. Calculating degradation is not an exact science as you will get different results on different days but it should be in the same ball park... large or quick drops would be the red flags for a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was chatting to a VW dealer this morning, wondering what you folk think of this offer to change?

Mine : 2019 Leaf SV-Premium 40kw, 68000km

For sale : 211 ID3 1st edition Pro S 48kw, 75000km

Mine + €10k?

That's a good deal to be honest. The Leaf market is in sh**t according to everyone I talked to because loads in market and people don't want them anymore due to a number of factors.

Yeah, thought it wasn't the worst deal to be honest. Was expecting them to ask for maybe 11k or so.

Might see if I could get another 500 off😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Maybe so but it just didn't feel as smooth and comfortable to me. I was a bit underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Would the ID3 Tour be considered the best value (cheapest) long range second hand EV on the market? I saw a 2020 or 2021 for sale a few weeks back for ~25k. Is there any other circa 77kW EVs out there for that sort of money or less?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it would be hard to argue anything else has better range for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

Agree. ID.4 far less good to drive.

I think we will probably end up in one though. Sat in back of our tour behind my 6’2 husband on a long journey yesterday and it was completely fine for me but I think my sons will be tall and will need room as they get older.

unless I hold out for a used ID.7 tourer. It’s going to be too much new.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The battery has not been abused, maybe a DC charge on average once per month. And when I do it tends to be only 15 or 20% added.

The rest of my charging is at home, the car is normally at between 50 and 80% charge.

The point about doing it at a higher temp is worth a try to see if there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Greengrass53

Thanks very much for your reply. Very useful to have before going into dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Greengrass53

Cheers Joe. I'd be OK with it but Mrs might'nt. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Bjorn has checked numerous ID3.s and never found one with a 58kwh capacity. My 211 ID3 i calculated when new had 56kwh capacity. Would influence degradation calculation. Chris of battery life has said his new ID7 has a capacity of 73.4kwh. 82kwh gross' 77 useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Ev fan

Just to say I wasn't inferring that you might have abused it but before you got the car is it possible it was sitting for a while fully charged at the dealer or something? Being 3.5 years old with significant mileage- 86k the degradation is unlikely to be small. However given your charging practice you are careful with the battery- So I would definitely be inclined to have a go at more readings- in particular can you get any readings for battery energy content at 50kWh or above. An averaged reading at or close to 50kWh might not be a bad result.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

The Pro S is a 77kwh - I’d bite their hand off-

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

1st editions were only 58kWh with 204hp. Majority were register in 2020 so 202 but some were 211.

It's a 1st edition, and definitely 58kw.

I think pro S is on the description.

Then detail has just PRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

To cover loads of the last posts.

Id3 17kwh/100

1d4 20kwh/100 my old lad has one

Id3 way nicer as a car than id4

Id5 ? WTF ?,an SUV "coupe" jist wtf ?

P.S. I despise SUVS,this is why I have a 30year old trooper and a car

Leaf 40 nice car very good value but obselete....my 20 yr old has an sve

60 leaf wouldn't be a parch on id3 range wise

Range/value I can't think of better than 77 id3 either

Pure bald efficiency?,still the 28ioniq

14kwh/100 typical had one.of them too

Pure value for money ?

New e-up wife has one

Used Zoe had 2

If VW hadn't given me 0% and stupid trade ins I'd have bought an Ioniq 5

Next car used ioniq6 if I can get over the looks or new seal,unless VW come up trps again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭joe1303l

None of the ID range are exactly “drivers cars” but I know which one I’d rather be trying to sell/trade when I want to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Comer1

We just became a two EV household. My wife bought an ID.3 Life 204 BHP model to go with my ID.4. After driving the ID.3 today, I realised that I had forgotten how nice it is to drive. The power at 204 BHP is so much more responsive than my 174 BHP ID.4. ID.3 is brilliant off the line compared to the id.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah they're good at 204 aren't they. We've a cupra born and a 402 bhp etron and the cupra feels every bit as quick accelerating, in reality it's a second slower to 100 but it doesn't feel it. Much nimbler too but it's marketed as hot hatch v big comfortable SUV, you're in much the same boat.

I've driven the 174 id4 and it's a fair bit slower when giving them both the beans but it's still plenty good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

... Or you didn't want to be driving around in oversized shopping basket when there's normally only one person in the car for 90% of the time who does longer journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I hadn't taken that as you were saying I abused the battery. But it is possible some are mostly DC charged so their degradation could be worse than mostly AC charged ones.

I would say the car didn't sit for long fully charged, I collected it as soon as it was ready. But before that it is possible.

In general the battery reading is acting a bit strange. This morning I left at 80%. After 5km the battery was showing 81% and only after 10km did it get down to 79%. This was mostly on 80 and 100km/h road.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not a terrible deal but I’d wait it out for a lower mileage id3, your leaf has little enough further to drop and the id3 has a long way to drop, especially 21 models, if you look at some of the trade in prices being offered. So waiting is only going to be good for you. Considering doing similar with a 21 leave, but waiting for id3 or id4 prices to drop to their appropriate levels off the new pricing. Doesn’t look like that is happening with dealers until new models trickle onto market, but is happening in private market slowly but surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This morning I left at 80%. After 5km the battery was showing 81% and only after 10km did it get down to 79%

I've seen that happen. I think its down to temp. The battery would be quite cool after the night and that reduces the range figure. Turning it on later when it will have warmed up a bit, and with possibly some downhill driving, you'll see the SoC go up a percent.

I've also seen it do the opposite, that when you turn it on, it drops a percent before you drive at all.... again, its just the GOM adjusting from new readings its getting when the car is turned on... i think.

Thanks for the advice, you may be right.

Or perhaps I'd try to sell and buy privately, might be able to save 1k or so that way.

I was wondering will the ID.3 die off with VW saying the eGolf will return? the original plan was the ID.3 would replace the eGolf and long term the Golf according to some discussions at the time. Now VW saying the eGolf will come back will they run two cars in the same segment?

Thanks, didn't know that. So ID.3 name will die.

• Advertisement

Can't see them running 2 competing models and I did hear ID Golf so yeah, guess id3 will stop being a name

Advertisement