Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Italy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Been a long while since I played and it happened bit I really remember being able to literally run and pick up a fallen penalty and have the ref call play on, and was able to cite the law after the game.

Definitely changed within laws though as you also had issue resetting a fallen ball because looking at my laws pdf there that was a wholly new penalty for the charge down, resetting the clock

That's one on the ref

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

France charged twice too. You see one of them move forward a second time as Garbisi kicks it. Shocking effort from the officials. Italian captain should've been in the refs ear right away about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

One of French players moves forward a couple of yards, ref tells him to stop but surely that's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ref should have penalised France for the charge down(s) . This is 2 games in a row where France didn't lose due to last second referee fuckups

Italy fucked up by rushing to take the kick imo. They should've stopped and made a stink about the French charge down. Force the ref to pay attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

Seemed like Garbisi panicked and rushed but I was thinking they shouldn't be charging a peno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Cock up by the officials. Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

From an Italian pov I’d be mad at the captain for not slowing that whole process down and forcing the ref to walk the French back. Garbissi could have done with the support. Own goal of you ask me, if that was o Mahoney I’d have expected him to put a lot of pressure on the ref.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Way too late. He's close and in the kicker's sightline.

It absolutely should have been a reset kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be fair to the Italian captain there were 6 second left or something like that. If he intervenes and the refs waves him away and the time runs out the skipper gets the blame. Personally I think Ridley should have acted independently without being pushed by anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s hardly the Italians fault that the referee was incompetent or corrupt or both. Why is the officiating in Rugby such a bloody shambles, it’s as bad or worse than Soccer now.

Not their fault, but perhaps indicative of a lack of experience and being caught up in the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Imagine if they stopped to argue and the clock just runs out? You play to the whistle, there was none, so they had to take the kick.

I'd have more of an issue with the French try, he clearly drops it for me and no evidence that he regathers it before it hits the ground. Sems like it just pulled it into his body on the floor and then just wriggles over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Corrupt is very strong and completely wrong word to use as is incompetence. Its not as bad/worse than soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Totally agree on the final kick. Blaming the Italians here is nonsense, particularly the suggestion that their captain should have rushed in shouting at the ref while the seconds tick away, it had to be kicked then ask questions after.

On the French try, it's probably fair to say that there was no clear evidence of a knock on but to ground the ball after being tackled, don't you have to ground it pretty much immediately? He seemed to have it on the ground too long for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Apart from perhaps Penaud I’d be keen on changing the entire French back line after a performance worthy of England. They couldn’t catch the ball. Jalibert was very poor today and Danty has been terrible for the entire 6N - Mauvaka would do a better job at 12. He gave Danty a very dirty look after an awful pass early on. Also, why change that many forwards so early when they were ploughing into the Italian scrum? Tuilagi still looked fresh enough at that point and had a good game with some nice passes and runs. Full credit to Italy, though. I don’t know how they kept tackling. That penalty fiasco needs to be looked at. Overall, an exciting but scrappy contest. France’s decline continues.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I thought it was a great game. Very evenly matched, heroic Italian defense able to mostly slightly stuttering french attack, and jalibert was poor before he went off, then danty really evened things out.

France are suffering from something pretty similar to Ireland in the past. Their first choice 23 are world beaters but delving to far outside of that in any position and they become bang average.

In the second half France had no Dupont at 9, no entimak or jalibert at 10 and nobody at 12. Thats on top of Willemense and Aldritt missing. Ramos is gone then from 15 and overall Its a serious step down from their first choice 15 especially as its in the most important positions

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

And apparently the correct sanction is a new penalty 10m forward from the original mark - wasn't aware of that, thought it was just a retake from the same spot. There's no debate here, imo...Italy were absolutely robbed by refereeing incompetence.

Blaming the captain or Garbisi isn't right, they were caught up in the moment, and playing to the whistle. There's no excuse for the ref getting it so wrong.

Post edited by fitz on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Deliberate knock on before the last Italian try (gathered to score the try) - shouldn't the French lad have gotten a yellow card for that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Not sure which incident you're talking about but the one I was asking about earlier was one that awarded the French a scrum around the Italian 10m line, close to the near shoreline. I couldn't see any knock on by an Italian player, it just seemed weird.

Sorry - was talking about the Italian try - last pass to Capuozzo - Penaud stuck his hand out and knocked it on (at least it looked forward to me) - was caught by Capuozzo to score the try. But shouldn't that have been a penalty try (- would have been interesting if they hadn't gotten the conversion) and a yellow card?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I just watched it again, its shocking. And what the **** was a "waterboy" doing wandering around the pitch, for a penalty in the red?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought it might have been the pass back to the player Le Garrec tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Penaud's hand does touch the ball but it travelled backwards (into Capuozzo's hands) so play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

He moved the ball forward towards himself when he was already on the ground. An extremely by the book foul to be picked up. But there had been an obvious French knock on in a tackle a couple of phases earlier ignored by the ref. I’m loathe to pin stuff on refs as generally there’s a lot more teams could have done to win the match (Scotland) but in the case of Italy here they were robbed by a few decisions or lack of decisions.. their defence in the first half was monumental. Penaud’s name was barely mentioned by commentators even though France has all the ball, speaks to how little they were able to do with it thanks to Italian work rate.

• Advertisement

That's a generous viewing and if they hadn't scored I would expect the TMO would have looked at it.

Advertisement