Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yes between the industrial estate and Abbvie it must be taking a lot of heavy vehicles from the town and that's to be welcomed.

Still a fair bit of traffic as it is still the only way for villages like Islandeady to get to Castlebar or Westport so not sure if I'd recommend cycling on it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

It feels incredibly quiet, but the actual figures show traffic is roughly one third of what it was before the new road opened. See below - thanks a mill irishgeo for reminding us of the traffic counters! AADT was around 10,000 this time last year, now it has stabilised at just over 3,000.

Obviously traffic at the counter east of Castlebar hasn't decreased by as much, but that's to be expected as Castlebar is the destination for a lot of traffic so they wouldn't use the bypass.

If you're cycling the old road to Westport, the stretch between Castlebar and the new roundabout past Cosgrave's is also much busier than the rest of the route, for the same reason.

Definitely the part between Cosgroves and the new roundabout is too busy and dangerous for cyclists. Further back not so bad.

If cycling it's best to take the Newport road from Castlebar and cut across to Islandeady to avoid that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭pjordan

I actually cycled a stretch of the new road a couple of weeks ago, after seeing someone else on it a couple of weeks before that. The irony of that potentially suicidal exercise is that, with the two lanes on the new dual carriage way (even though I hugged the broken yellow line, not the "slow" lane!) any vehicle approaching you from behind have much more notice and facility to give you a wide berth for passing out than they would on the old road between Cosgroves and Islandeady. Also the lanes are sufficiently wide to allow one to give adequate passing room to a cyclist, even staying in the same lane. Mad experiment admittedly but nothing illegal in it and I actually felt quiet safe (well as safe if not safer than on the old road!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

While legally there's nothing to stop you doing so, you shouldn't have been on it. Type 2 DC roads are designed with no provision for pedestrians or cyclists on the main carriageways.

N5 pre-dates the requirement to include pedestrian and cycle ways as part of the project. There was supposed to be money to provide these along the route, but I've read nothing about it since.

• Advertisement

Yep, but it illustrates how farcical the entire policy is, in that I actually felt safer on it than I do on stretches of the old road.

Same could possibly apply to pedestrians, at least they could walk on the drainage gulley wheras there is nowhere to walk on much of the old Castlebar-Westport rd. (Incidentally I'd never advocate trying either except in full daylight with excellent visibility)

It's a big bugbear of mine how blinkered TII/NRA policy was/is towards anything except motorised transport and accordingly reflected in the majority of local authority road design offices.

One could actually say the same thing with regard to a considerable proportion of the existing National primary and secondary roads network, that they are designed with "no provision for cyclists or pedestrians", but it doesn't prevent them from using them, often through necessity!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

That's strange. Are there signs at the beginning of these stretches to say cycling and walking are not allowed (or recommended even)? I don't recall seeing any on this. There should be a sign to tell cyclists to continue on the old road.

As regards cycling facilities on these replaced roads, you'd think that with a lower speed limit, it might also be possible to partition a part off for cyclists to make them safer.

Cycling is permitted I'm sure. There are no signs saying otherwise. Whether it's advisable to do so is another story.

In a way the new road could be safer than the older one as the sightlines are better and there are 2 lanes but I still don't think I'd fancy it.

There was talk of putting a greenway on the old road but it would need to be segregated to be safe IMO.

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I think a some of the early incidents may be down to bad driver behaviour for example "hard shoulder drivers". Some nervous rural drivers have come to rely on wide shoulder on some of our N roads as a slow driving lane.

It's so dangerous as they beckon cars to pass but are inevitably forced back into traffic when they encounter a junction or sudden obstacle, especially in poor weather. And when another vehicle is doing the same in the hard shoulder on the opposite side simultaneously and both meet a crossing junction forcing both to brake / re-merge (all while traffic in the normal driving lanes prepares to turn off or overtake on left for a right turning car). I see it regularly on N5 and N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

More road closures for grass cutting. 5 nights in October going into November according to the mayo news.

Does the Tuam bypass close for verge cutting as it's a similar road type?

• Advertisement

Really? Given that it opened in June that will probably mean 3 or 4 closures over the full 12 months next year.

If Tuam and other similar roads do likewise I guess it's acceptable. I'd rather it maintained than overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

This is an outrage !

Just wondering is this likely to be an ongoing thing and if so

1. Could it not have been forseen and provided for more effectively in the design stage of the project?
    2. Can it not be carried out with the road open during day light hours by workers with high viz and PPE using strimmers? (Probabaly a liability issue with the risk of debris from strimmer hitting passing vehicles) or with a crawling single lane restriction/closure as the task is carried out mechanically.
    3. If it is likely to be an ongoing requirement then surely other vegetation control measures to prevent growth such as fabric weed barriers/weedkiller/gravel verges/low growing or ground cover shrubbery must be a better solution in the long term?

To my knowledge it would seem to be only Local authority and major road in the country that resort to these kind of drastic road closure methods for this purpose. and in the long term I can't see it as being sustainable (but then again are the continious ongoing replacement of the dividing bolted bollards at the on/off ramps going to be sustainable either?)

I would think it will be an ongoing thing and possibly maintenance requirements may even increase as roadside saplings grow into bushes and trees. I think the recent maintenance work did improve the look of the whole road and a certain amount will always be needed.

What I have a problem with is overplanting of screening saplings. It's fine if it's giving privacy to a dwelling and there are of course environmental benefits and reasons to reduce cross-winds in places but it does create maintenance issues. I drove to Bellavary last week on the original N5 and seeing the size of the trees 30 years after planting it is obvious the amount of work needed keeping them back from the road.

Also on the Ballyheane road leaving Castlebar I see that a lot of planting has recently taken place as well. All fine in theory but the question is will they be maintained? In time they will cover up some attractive limestone walls recently constructed recently during the bridge works. Personally I'd prefer to just see the walls with a line of occasional trees and a grass verge that would be more manageable. Mass planting is less desirable IMO.

A piece on road dividers causing problems on the new N5. Cllr McDonnell has highlighted a few daft issues in the past (something about how people won't come into Castlebar because there's no right turns on the new road) but he may be right on this one. I presume he means the orange plastic bollards on the exit and access ramps. I thought myself even from driving in a car that they lanes look a bit narrow for larger vehicles - a number of the bollards are already knocked or bent over.

https://westernpeople.ie/2023/09/28/trucks-colliding-with-road-dividers-on-new-e250m-road/

I'm not sure why any HGVs would still be using Derrywash but if a councillor says so it must be true!

Not a road I take too often but I'd agree with any motion to keep HGVs off it. It's very tricky and dangerous in some places where even just 2 cars meet and there's little or no verge - just a sudden drop beside drains at the edge of the road.

And a certain E B might need it as a handy little rat run to head out on the batter in Westport! Pity any HGV driver that meets those of a particularly litigant bent on that road!

Post edited by pjordan on

The controversial great wall of Islandeady looks to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭HBC08

Some say its the only man made structure you can see from space.

• Advertisement

Let's see how many councillors cliam to have got that sorted in the election leaflet.

Sounds like scaremongering by a councillor but there are so many bad drivers around that nothing would surprise me!

4 lanes approaching the roundabout. 2 lanes exiting. It shouldn't be rocket science for people to realise irs single carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

Overseas visitors might not be expecting a change to single. Maybe include a few 'drive in the left' signs after the roundabout as well. Putting up a few signs is no harm and may prevent an accident. CBA on the adding signs to avoiding an accident would, I'm sure, favour the signs.

There's a small 'two way traffic' sign but I suppose it's no harm to make it more explicit!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Some of the driving entering/exiting the roundabouts by locals is more than questionable too in my experience so far

Its local election year that will be the next issue raised.

New road is on Google Streetview now.

Breakdown of Mayo's €29m road and greenway allocation. Anyone know what the Westport to Turlough €5,600,000 is for? It's under new roads heading.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2024/02/22/over-e29m-secured-for-mayos-national-roads-and-greenways/

• Advertisement
Advertisement