Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Course I give him credit, he’s a fantastic golfer. I just don’t see why there is as much hype about him as well. I don’t like his personality from what I seen either , I’m honest about all that. I don’t hate the man , I just don’t like him , I’m sure you are the same with some sports people?? The major drought is for me mad considering his talent. Maybe there is hype about him because he came after the Tiger Hype? It’s just not at all warranted at this stage.

Also everyone’s like oh sure he’s allowed change his mind. He was vehemently against it, most of his interviews were anti liv, he behaved like a child to his fellow pros - this was all in public and now a complete turnaround. It’s an embarrassing change of mind, not like changing your mind about what you want for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I think he was probably lead on a bit too though. He was pushed in front of the cameras numerous times doing the job of Monahan, the face of the PGA, and probably realises now he was just used for the PGA's pr machine. I for one am glad he's stepped away from the player advocacy council and can get back to playing golf without the distractions and politics he was caught up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I understand your point of view & I 100% agree Rory should have or should be expected to have won majors in the last 10 years. But to say that he isn't relevant majors wise compared to your list...

Rahm, 7 top 10's from the last 12 Majors - exceptional

Koepka, 5/12; Spieth, 4/12; Hovland 3/12; McIlroy 8/12 - so yes he has not won - but in terms of relevance in the majors sorry he has been contending continually over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes, but what about the adage of when the facts change I change my mind ? I'm not saying he's never said anything silly or that he shouldn't have, we've all done that. Personally I think he should have stayed well out of it from the start, but I get that he's the top name of current players and is going to be asked. I think its always been obvious there's a streak of "won't be told" in him anyway, and I suspect he was the willing and/or naive sucker for Monahan to fight his battle.

You're right though it shouldn't be a Rory worship thread, I just don't get the dislike for him. I don't know him at all, I'm just a fan of his golf and the way he plays. That he's from our little corner of the world is even better. Maybe media are partly to blame, most stars are just normal people who happen to be exceptionally good at, say, golf. They shouldn't really be expected to have all the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory got to -6 but a poor finish has him at -1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,740 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

When you stay in the top three in the rankings for years upon years and have so many top fives in majors you are going to be a big deal.

Mickelson was huge for years before he won a major. Why? Because he contended many times just like Rory has done over the last ten years.

I, nor anyone else in this thread, made him the most popular golfer on tour for the last 12 or so years. He just has the golf game and the appeal.

Obviously Tiger is the most popular of all time but he's not played much over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

He had a bad run and thought he finished-3 but was given a 2 shir penalty for an incorrect drop on one of the par 5s on his back 9

So let's discuss the caddy again. Should he not know the rules, at least well enough to suggest Rory seek a ruling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Absolutely, but so should Rory, he's a professional golfer and likely been doing that for a year now, but yes Caddy should unequivocally know all rules and decisions

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ideally yes I suppose, but not necessarily, I think its 100% on the player IMO. I wouldn't attach any blame on the caddy.

A stupid mistake to make by the player. I guess if you don't know you're wrong and think its a simple enough drop procedure, many of the faster players won't call a referee. Just shows why so many of them do, even in the most straightforward of situations. I would have thought taking an unplayable is one of the bread and butter ones that the player should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

The rule was changed twice in recent years and last year there was a slight alteration made to the rule and that's the change that fouled him. It's a shame but he won't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s fairly typical of Rory, he opens his mouth and something comes out which he later backtracks on. He should focus on his golf and less on the politics of it imo.

I've always found a European out front and centre defending the PGA Tour a bit questionable anyway. The European Tour has suffered at the hands of the PGA Tour for years. Money talks and LIV are now doing what the PGA Tpur has been doing up until now.

He was very, very against that tour.

I'm wondering if he's considering an offer. He'd get massive money, could be as high as $500 million. He might be seriously thinking of jumping ship.

If they are still getting involved with the PGA tour it doesn't make much difference which tour you are on if you are going to take their money.

If they got Rory they might pull the deal with the PGA tour.

I was half wondering that too, given his alleged conversation with Spieth where it seems he was against JS saying the other day that the PGAT would not or might not even need the Saudis.

I still think he's too invested in trying to win majors (esp The Masters) for another few years. I wonder could it realistically be worked out how long he'd be exempt for if he jumped. Would he get two more seasons before he'd be out of the top 50 ? He'd be good for the USPGA for life and The Open until he's 60, so it would only be the other two to worry about. Ahh I don't really see it tbh. I mean, whatever about a Poulter, Westwood etc, fantastically wealthy as they were anyway, Rory's true net worth must be astronomical at this stage. What can he do with 500m that he can't do with 200m ? That's before you'd consider the PR disaster it would be.

I do think he'd be better off just shutting the heck up (I know its not fully possible given his position) and focussing on his golf til he's 40, then maybe get involved in the running of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Agree with you somewhat, but there might not be anything left to run when he's 40.

I wonder if he regrets stepping back from things. Who's knows what it's going to look like when all this washes out. I know I'd probably want to be involved in shaping it if I had Rory's position and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Dont think they have been consistent as Rory though forget about Majors.. That's only 4 tournaments and I dont even like him. He's one of the biggest draws and has been for years

• Advertisement

why would I forget about majors. He is the biggest draw, I just don’t agree with the hype after 10 years of no majors.

When you are top two in the world for most of that time you are always going to be one of the favourites.

Yeah just mad to me when you have not won 40 odd in a row. Like is nobody on the hype train going to maybe account for that he has a mentality issue when it comes to the majors.

So if you consistently contend you have an issue?

His problem is that he makes bad errors and they cost him. It's got nothing to do with nerves. These mistakes often happen on a Thursday or Friday and ultimately cost him the win.

ah all of the above is your opinion. Mine is he tends to be nervous at the start and then plays his best golf when he’s too far behind. To say he it has nothing to do with nerves is in my opinion wrong.

If he was the nervy type that would also happen on other big tournaments and he's won plenty of them over the last ten years.

This nonsense that a guy falls apart in majors but wins loads of other events, including the Fed Ex Cup three times,is absolute nonsense. I'd suspect anybody with this opinion never played sport.

No , majors are different. It’s a different type of pressure , especially when you are in a drought. Plenty of tennis players win masters and do not win slams. Nonsense to not consider nerves have been a reason for him not winning for 10 years. Pure nonsense. Do you not remember day one of that Open? I have played sport at a decent level and coached a bit. Not sure how that’s relevant at all. My opinion isn’t some out there different or hater one btw. A lot of people thinks nerves ie his mentality is the reason for his drought. How often does he play unbelievable rounds in majors when the pressure is fully off? Most majors. You are talking pony.

2023 US Open, he shot 70 in the final round, same as the winner, Clark, and third, Scheffler.

Tell me how that was him bottling it?

2018 Open, he had the second best round of anybody in the top 9 starting the last day. He took the clubhouse lead. Unfortunately for him Molinari played great and had the best score of those in the top 9 and won.

Again, how do you decide he messed that up?

Fact is he's won four majors, he's seriously contended for a lot more. He has more Fed-Ex Cup wins than Tiger Woods.

My contention is that Rory makes mistakes by driving off the tee on holes where he doesn't need to and it has cost him at crucial moments but not just in Majors, it's happened in many tournaments. He just needs to be less aggressive at times. That's not a lack of bottle or nerves, just game management. He does the exact same thing in Majors as he does the rest of the year.

Oh and by the way if you look at betting thread in this forum you'll see I predicted Clark would win the US Open and Harman the Open last year. Those picks were based on their form but also in interviews they did. I'm not sure if I mentioned that when I picked Harman but I certainly did when I put up Clark.

I played sport at a decent level, my coaches loved me because I could talk to players.

I've been asked to use that talent many times but I've only used it in my local area. I have a job and it'd be a major life change and risk to do it full time. I just need to hear somebody talk for 30 seconds. I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that Rory suffers from nerves. I think he's like all solid guys, gets nerves at the start of the day but works it out of his system quickly.

This isn't a guy who just got lucky and won four majors. He was a great amateur and performed under pressure many times in the big events long before he was a professional golfer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fair points but the stats can't lie, all those world wide wins in the last decade and no Majors so he does not have it to win a Major as he has not done it in a decade.

Loved to be proved wrong in 2024 an hopefully the gate will open and he could double his current tally.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Right then, I mentioned the Open in 2018 and the US Open last year.

What did he do wrong in those tournaments? What makes you believe he lost the tournament rather than the other player won it?

Advertisement