Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's not wide enough for pavement on each side and even one side with parking. also how do you placate the people losing their spot outside their house? i'm playing devils advocate here but can you imagine the fuss if a single mother ICU nurse wasn't able to park her car outside any more and all that mullarkey.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Look at the silver car, blocking the whole footpath or go further back the road where all the paths are blocked. What about the single mother ICU nurse trying to walk down the road with a pram and is forced out on to the road. Or the person in a wheelchair or who needs crutches, or the parent walking with a small child or just anyone as there isn't even room to 'squeeze by'. Why should all these people have to walk on the road? Especially at times when it might be dark or there is poor visibility and there is increased danger of them being hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can't. the road is too narrow to contain a parked car and allow another to pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that'd work with a little reconfiguration on at attracta road, which i drove up recently. the road is plenty wide enough to be able to take parking on one side and leave the remainder of the road surface clear; but people park both sides, making it much more messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

streets like Charleville Ave - make the whole thing shared space with a 10km/h limit and pedestrian priority. This is the sort of thing I've seen on the continent. Put down a beige surface, or cobbles or something to indicate it's not a regular road. Make it resident's parking only as well if it isn't already.

By having footpaths you're basically saying pedestrians on the road are "in the way" but they can't walk on the footpaths either because they're blocked. Shared space it's effectively all footpath that you're allowed drive (slowly) on to access your house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Lots of possible solutions.

Ban on-street parking or make it expensive. Provide local secure carparks for residents, like apartment blocks do. Improve public transport so cars are not needed. Provide short-time car rental (like Go-Car provide). Encourage on-line shopping and take-away deliveries. Encourage car sharing commutes. More working from home. Encourage bikes, e-scooters and e-bikes - even rick-shores.

Loads of solutions.

Thank goodness own your own plane never caught on. Just look at those who own their own yacht and park it 90% to 100% of the time in an expensive marina, but at least the marina has a nice bar and can supply restaurant food on demand. It also has the opportunity of hob-knobbing with other knobs who own their own yacht, with the added opportunity to share tales of sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭what_traffic

"Make it resident's parking only" 100% on this.

We definitely need this rolled out Nationwide - "Resident's ONLY parking"

I think one big knock benefit of this would then be a realisation that not all of the existing car parking provision is required on many residential streets so then would be easier to get bike bunkers and space used for other purposes on such streets. Once residents are not competing - then should be easier to get them on board for such changes in their own local area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think cameras on cars is the solution. How does it recognise an illegally parked vehicle or one causing an obstruction? buses ect could obstruct its view and plates of parallel parked vehicles would be difficult to read due to the angle.

And having more vehicles driving round city centre streets would not be a good thing. The goal is to discourage driving in the city centre by lowering speeds, longer waits at pedestrian crossings, etc. A vehicle with a camera isn't going to be very efficient.

I still think they need people going round with a device and scanning number plates and taking a photo of the offending vehicle. Without the need to clamp/unclamp cars, they'd be a lot more efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I lived for a time abroad that used clamping very effectively.

In Dublin terms, say I parked illegally in sat SSG. I get clamped and see a note in the window and a large yellow clamp.

So what do I have to do? Well, I take off the ticket and, as instructed, head for Kevin St Garda Station and go to the parking fines office where I queue for maybe 15 to 40 mins along with a few dozen victims. When I get to the head of the queue a Garda takes my form and asks me a few question and painfully fills out a separate form which he hands to me to take to the GPO to pay the €150 fine. So off I head to the GPO where I join another queue to pay the €150 fine. When I get to the head of the queue, the clerk takes my money and stamps my form PAID. I then return to Kevin St and rejoin the queue I was in before. When I get to the front, the Garda fishes out my original form and stamps it RELEASE, and tells me to return to my vehicle and wait for the van to release me. I return to my vehicle and wait for between 40 mins and an hour and a half. Eventually the van arrives and the clamper checks my form and releases the clamp. So bwteen 2 hours and three hours and €150 wasted. I vow that never again will that happen to me.

The penalty is not just the money but also the time and ignominy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can I borrow your time machine Sam?

There is no parking fines office anymore. I think it closed two decades ago. It was on O'Connell Street so very close to the GPO anyway.

You phone DSPS and pay them over the phone and they come unclamp you.

It didn't make people any more or less likely to park illegally when we changed. Trying such a convoluted and exceptionally German system these days is likely to make people buy portable angle grinders from their nearest German supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GHendrix

A lot of these issues could simply be resolved if companies would just let people work from home.

Half my friends are doing insane commutes into Dublin every morning to do jobs that could easily be done remotely. And they don’t want to be in the car for 2.5 hours a day.

The intention is to make clamping not only a fine that hurts but also an unpleasant time wasting experience giving rise to frustration.

Fines do not affect the well off that much but a busy person would hate losing 2 hours out of their day which was a result of a "two minute" park while they grabbed some unnecessary items from a shop.

A busy person who can wave away a hefty fine is likely to have someone else to go do the queueing for them too.

Some might, but most wont.

Do not forget the object wearing the clamp is a much valued possession by that busy person.

god help me, but i rang dublin street parking services earlier to ask for a clamp release fee to be waived. the bus lane outside our house went 24/7 a few weeks ago and the only sign was the change to the operating hours on the bus sign - text no more than a few inches tall.

anyway, i had a lovely old lady in who had been clamped outside and didn't know how to pay the fine.

the woman in DSPS told me she shouldn't have been parking there anyway - which was a bit lame considering that's the first time in the 12 years i've been living here that i'd seen a car clamped. all i wanted for them was to take on board that a significantly larger sign drawing attention to the new operating hours would be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Flashing signs on all approach roads to the city for weeks now

none between where she lives and where she parked, i've driven it.

the lad who unclamped her pretty much admitted straight out to me that he wouldn't clamp cars up at the nearby school (i will point out that when she was clamped, she was the only one in the bus lane). but he clearly doesn't police it during school dropoff or pickup times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That system wastes a lot of garda time that could be better used elsewhere. It also wouldn't be much of a detterent if the chances of getting caught were still as low as they are. Even with that incredibly time consuming process people will still park illegally because they know the chances of getting caught are incredibly low. It is worth taking the risk. We need to increase the changes of people getting caught for it. I did see someone suggest on here before dishing out penalty points for illegal parking. If you did that with increasing the chances of getting caught that would definitely make a big difference.

• Advertisement

Obviously the chance of getting caught should be increased. Maybe giving a Garda a bonus for every parker getting caught parking illegally would make them less adverse to ignoring cars illegally parked.

Of course the novice Garda would start with all those cars parked illegally outside Kevin St Garda station. The older Gardai based in Kevin ST own those cars.

The system i described does not have to waste Garda time - merely the offenders time and cost them a large penalty. I think revenue protection and anti-corruption played a part as well. Add penalty points and you might get the illegal parkers attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sam with all due respect, your historical reminiscences are from a time long gone. We need to move on.

The financial penalty has to be the deterrent nowadays.

I entirely agree with L1011, those kind of rich people always have minions to do the job for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Hidalgo’s latest measure has been voted in. Non-resident cars in Paris weighing over 1.6t (or 2t for EVs) will have parking charges tripled. €18 per hour for the first two hours. After that, it gets more punitive. 6 hours of parking will cost €225.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I wonder how is it to be enforced? Parking meters will need a database of all cars by reg including model and kerbside weight?

Seems difficult to do in practice

the emissions regulations in France use a sticker system (CritAir) - you apply for a sticker, they send you the appropriate one for your model of car. Maybe they'll do something similar for weight?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When in France last Summer, most of the on-street parking machines required you to first enter the car reg. It would be fairly simple then for the machine to use that to poll a database for the kerb weight. The digital connection is already there as the machines take card & phone payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Irish Times is continuing it's opposition to the Dublin City Transport Strategy, with passive aggressive use of quotation marks and the opinion of multi story car park owners presented as fact. If this actually happens it'll be nothign short of a revolution for publict transport and cycling in Dublin, I think people are underestimating how far reaching it can be.

Plan to reduce car routes across Dublin and create new civic plazas ‘overwhelmingly endorsed by public’ – The Irish Times

how can quotation marks be used passive aggressively? it signifies they're pulling the text as a quote from the document.

• Advertisement

in fairness, they've gone with a positive headline. They could have gone with "Plan opposed by businesses" as they have done many times in the past.

Advertisement