Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone regret buying EV?

Options
  • 02-02-2024 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm just curious if anyone regrets buying an EV vehicle in the last five years for example? I know by all accounts EV technology is going to continually improve and get better but did anyone find themselves perhaps going electric a little too early?

After seeing great vast amounts of depreciation with some cars in particular (E-Tron, Ioniq) anyone thinking they should have kept with an ICE vehicle a little longer? While all cars depreciate add the charging infrastructure and cold weather into the mix.

I don't drive an EV myself but wouldn't rule one out in the not too distant future. With Tesla lowering prices and BYD entering the show the market for EV's continues to get more diverse.

So anyone any regrets? Would you have bought another dirty diesel, smooth petrol or went hybrid given the choice again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No. I change cars quite regularly but have been EV since 2016 for at least one car in the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

I traded in my 2010 Insignia Diesel estate for an BMW i3 33Kw nearly two years ago and don't regret it for a second. Car is so much fun to drive, and even the longer trips are now fun little expeditions when you bring charging planning into it! My wife's car is a 2019 fiesta, and the minute the loan is up on that, she will go electric too.

I totally understand people in the market right now waiting for a few months for prices to settle, but other than that, no reason not to buy an EV for 90% of people.

Vast majority of people on here will tell you that once you change, you will never go back. I hate driving the fiesta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

No is the simple answer for me. Im 2 years down the line with and ID4 followed by a Model Y. Delighted so far, being a high km a year driver. Saved just over 8k in fuel in the 2 years (Taking charging into account also). But not even accounting for servicing etc

I do have a work and home charger so this helps :) but really when you do the calculation free work charging doesn't end up being a massive gain. its all about the cheap night rate.

On the Tesla side of things its where the tech comes into its own in the car and on the APP.

If I was doing things again I would go in at a really well kept low milage 2-3 year old EV, then you miss the chunk of depreciation but still have the savings . Thats the sweet spot. This will become easier when EV market is more mature....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

No regrets from myside - i've saved a fortune on fuel on the EV we have and also have a PHEV which is usually kept charge.

Depreciation is something i've learned to live with - when I traded in my first EV against the one I have - the trade in value after two years was nearly what I paid for the car new - so swings and round abouts. I've been stung badly in the past with depreciation on some ICE cars too ... so it is just something I deal with when it happens. Usually we change cards every 3/4 years so depreciation is just a cost of keeping new cars on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes, bought an ID3 1st, big mistake, wasn't suitable for me. Held onto it for about 6mts and 12,000km

Would it stop me buying another EV, no. It was just the wrong car, went back to petrol after that, then phev.

If you get one at a price your happy with and the range works for you without compromise, no reason not to consider one. Buying new is probably not the way to go though with prices all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭Patser

No real regrets.

I kinda got lucky, bought my 1st EV 5 years ago before brexit really hit and while EVs were still niche - so got an BMW i3 for €17k from UK, and absolutely loved the car. Really converted me to the joys of driving EV

Traded it last year for an MG4 and got €13k trade in value - at a time EVs were still priced high, so my car had only lost €4k over 4 years.

Now my MG4 probably has depreciated a bit more than I expected - probably based on the above experience - but since I'm now an EV convert, the price wars among new EVs means I'll probably be spending a lot less to upgrade anyway whenever I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yes Cupra Born , software issues , battery modules failed , huge depreciation most main dealers wont even entertain giving a quote to trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Regret buying at a time where there was waiting lists and high prices in Aug 2022 but don't regret buying the car at all apart from that, it has been great. Very briefly looked at what it would be like to trade in and it wasn't anything I could stomach so just keeping it now.

Added a 2nd full EV to the family fleet with same range as the 1st one last week so wouldn't have done that if EV didn't suit.

Not going back to ICE at all. Both cars are 22 reg plates so very fresh and think they will both be outside the house for at least 3 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

we have had 2 different audi etrons since 2020 (so 4 years), dont regret it and dont ever see myself going back to ICE, that said we live in an urban area, have always had home charging and drive at most 15,000km annually so it suits our use case very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

3 EVs since 2015, no regrets. Or is that ragrets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

how exactly did you save a fortune? Did you get your EV for free, is it a company car? are you charging for free (secretly plugged in your neighbors grid)? Not sure what EV you have but most of them cost way more to purchase than ICE cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maybe read what the poster said, which was saved a fortune in fuel, and your second point is wrong as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I regret not buying an EV when I test drove the Ioniq in 2017. Instead I bought an ICE estate - it's okay, nothing wrong with it, we needed the space and there were no EV estates in the market for years.

I am in India this week, and drove an EV (Tata Nexon EV) for 100 km thru clogged roads with horrible stop-go traffic straight after landing here. And compared my ICE driving experience over the years, it was an absolute dream - 360 degree camera, complete full phone/navigation integration, all sort of safety bells and whistles and the car just glides along, no need to dance on the clutch pedal or change gears. Once at destination it was plugged in and it charged to full overnight. 40kwh battery, 350k range. My 100 kms driving only took 80 km off the range of the car :D.

I don't know if I can get back into driving an ICE after this week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No,

Bought a Model 3 almost 4 years ago (base SR+/RWD version), and since I bought it, the Model 3 has had too many upgrades/improvements to mention, but in summary the WLTP range went from 409km (my car) to 513km (current version), the battery got bigger, and the price dropped by about €8k.

Still love the car though and depreciation aside, still can't justify upgrading to a newer 'better' version...

I'm just about to roll over 90,000km, and since new it's had 8 new tyres installed (1 set front, and 3 sets on the rear (latest as recently as yesterday)) and a new set of wipers, and nothing else that I've had to pay for.

90,000km in my ICE would cost me around €11,000 in diesel, and maybe €500 over about 6-9 oil changes (which I'd do myself), 2 full sets of tyres (~€2,000) & probably a set of brake pads in there as well... €13,500 + €2,840 motor tax = €16,340

90,000km in my EV would cost me about €2,628 in home charging* (14.6kWh/100km average @ €0.20.kWh (€0.20/kWh is the highest my night rate has ever been, but most of the 4 years I've had the car it's been below that - currently €0.18/kWh, but lets use worst case)), tyres about €1,800 (but I won't need more now till 120,000km) and a set of wipers for €50 - €4,478 + €480 motor tax = €4,958

*there was still a bit of free charging around when I got the car, and I also had free Supercharging for about 2 years, so my actual spend on charging would be a bit less than the stated €2,628 stated above. (got about 7,000km motorway driving from Tesla Superchargers for free)

Regrets: yeah, why didn't I switch to EV sooner, though in fairness nothing really appealed to us until the Model 3 arrived here, and we bought early enough, with ours arriving here as part of only the 2nd shipment of Model 3's into Ireland (back in the glory days of ship watching and seeking out VIN's in the Tesla website's source code...).

If you have access to home charging it's a no brainer. Theres lads on Facebook with the same car as mine, and they're already up over 200,000km and the cars are still going strong... milage monsters they are...

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭VikingG

No regrets - No issues - nicer to drive, cheaper to run - however I do say to people you need to have a home charger ( at least at the moment) or perhaps an accessible work one. There is a learning curve with public charging and planning for long trips, but to be honest with the range of current cars it is a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

Have another read of my post - i've saved a fortune on 'fuel' ... i've lost my shirt on the cost of the car - but that isn't any difference on the amount i've lost over 25 years of changing cars every 3/4 years. I accept depreciation as a cost of liking my cars and having a relatively new one.

As for saving on fuel - yep - compared to what I was spending on Diesel and what I'm no paying to drive the same miles on nightrate electricity it is significant and I've also considerably reduced what I was spending on coffee and shite in service stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Originally had a 2016 24 Leaf, terrible range

Now have a 2019 Ioniq saloon, even though the battery is marginally bigger at 28kw, the range is acceptable, I generally just drive in Dublin , so the range of 200 to 240 k is suitable for me

Well spec'ed and nice to drive

I wasn't happy that the EV reduction on tolls expired recently

I am considering buying my third EV , but depreciation and software issue on newer EVS , makes me hesitate

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

Too expensive. Expensive to buy and expensive to sell ( depreciation). Fantastic vehicle to drive. A real pleasure to do shopping runs, and motorway across the country.

But cost to own is just too much. Will cost me way too much over 3 years, to cover 50,000km. Compared to other sized cars.

But....

If the fear around EVs finally swings around in 24/25? Or if government makes tax changes to ICE/fuel? Then all those problems go away, and you're left with a really nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I bought a Model 3 in late 2019 so I could run it as a company car, sold my Golf GTI that I owned personally. I had no issues with the car, but due to it losing nearly half its value by the time I sold it last month, and the Golf probably not losing any value in that 4 years judging by ads on donedeal, any savings I made by running the car through the company got wiped out by the depreciation. It possibly would have worked out cheaper to keep the golf for those 4 years, depending on repair bills (I owned it less than 2 years and had already made one costly fix of €1000 to it). No massive regrets but that 0% BIK deal on EVs didn't end up being quite the saving I thought it'd be, and could easily have waited until now to make the switch. I bought another Tesla so I'm obviously happy enough with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

2 years in and I am still very Happy

I probably spent 15-20K more to get the EV I wanted than I probably would have spent on an ICE .

That's a mixture of buying new versus second hand and just the equivalent in my eyes EVs are dearer.

But as I avail of free charging through works Solar panels , I am saving ~3,500 a year in running costs . The driving experience though is several times better , and its hard to put a value on that aspect , but I certainly will not be going back to ICE .

Hopefully when I want to change it next there is an actual second hand market which might close that gap for me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

bought a Plug-in Hybrid and its a great car and bought it because of the 2030 year the government wanted us all to be in electric etc , lets say they are not helping EV customers with reduced grants and also hiking tolls etc , im tempted to go balls to wall and splurge on a brand new VW GTI

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope.

EV since 2012. Back when the cars had no fast charging capabilities! Could see then it was the way forward.

Have had countless and could never go back to ICE h less it was something of decent historic sentimental value.

E46 M3

Lancer Evo 6 TME

to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭denismc

Cupra Bjorn is a relatively new car, I would have thought any battery issues would have been covered under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ratracer

Interesting discussion, and one I’m gonna watch.

I’ve had solar installed in December, and my current car loan will be done in the summer, so currently considering my options for changing! Live rural and have 2 diesels ATM.

I am leaning towards a first EV, though there’s a lot of announcements from BMW and also GM/ Honda about hydrogen power. How far away is that? More research to do, plenty of reading and probably more dreaming in the next few months!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No regrets here. Bought an Ioniq 28Kwh in 2019 and still have it. One car household.

Might upgrade in the next couple of years, might drive it for 5 more, not sure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭Patser

Hydrogen is interesting, and I work with some hydrogen buses - but in my opinion it'll suffer the same problem as LPG - nowhere to refuel. Garages won't install hydrogen pumps until there's a significant demand for it, and motorists won't buy until there somewhere to refuel. Hydrogen will have a good chance for something like buses, trains maybe even planes - as they'll have a set route, and a defined depot to go to; so consumption and fueling times can be planned, and infrastructure put in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not me! Bought an ID3 in 21, have done 80,000km mostly free as we have chargers in work. Saved a fortune so far

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

There is a person on youtube that deals with them a lot. He does not paint a flattering picture of most and addresses the things I often wondered about such as heating and air con effects on range.

He approaches EV's in a very practical way and includes irritations and limitations I would not have thought of prior to buying.

I can't recollect the title of his video's but a Google of youtube, EV's and milk floats should hit the spot.

It's well worth checking, although like a lot of youtube stuff he can ramble a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

A co worker sold his EV and bought a phev, only after a month or so, his wife has medical problems and the realization of how long it takes to charge was not acceptable to him, I had suggested a phev, but greed got the better of him, he would only save a few hundred in fuel a year compared to the phev.

My sister has ID4 gtx, she was not happy with queues, driving in the wrong direction to charge and then chargers not working and moving to the next one, I have not talked to her since the price drop, but I imagine she isn't happy.

I have seen 2 or 3 more people here who have posted about getting rid of there EV.

Saying that I can well understand people in towns and citys or 2 car households owning one or 2, works for them why not, but insisting on everyone one else buy one, failing that ridiculing them for not buying one or calling them trolls for agreeing with other peoples comments,

I have to laugh at the guy with one EV and 3 diesel cars who does not like me clicking the thanks button.

Advertisement