Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

he records his shows a week in advance, so he cant predict the future in his links

like a good few RTE staff presenters, they do their fair share of paid work outside RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Years ago I went to several table quizzes for the epilepsy charity Brainwave and he was the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I think RTE Gold should target itself for an over 35’s demographic, that would include hits from 60’s right up to 10 years ago. Even a tune from 10 years ago can feel nostalgic for some people.

Let 2FM and other stations deal with the more modern stuff, although it seems many of them are more interested in talking and messing about than playing music these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

The presenter wouldn’t necessarily know if the feed goes down anyway unless someone texts in. Surely Rte has a web team to monitor the streaming output?

• Advertisement

in 2017 - was she dismissed as an Permanent RTE staff member, or a Contractor ?

I do remember she left RTE in around mid 2003 for 98FM for their breakfast show, then after 2 years she returned to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Has anyone got any opinions of Dave Fanning on RTE Gold? Curious as I don't recall anything being posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was some chat about Fab 50 iirc

I find him hit and miss in Saturday evening slot following ABC to XTC. No consistency in songs.

And I was disappointed the Fab 50 wasnt actually the 50 but a selection. Very often the most interesting tracks left out - though it was good the webaite had the descriptions for all tracks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes, I thought the Fab 50 shows were a bit of a disappointment tbh. It should of been a full 50 countdown.

The Saturday evening thing doesn't fit imo. I think Sunday evening would be more appropriate for that kind of programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

A nice, safe, RTÉ gig "see ya thru to the grave" on 100k+ a year and a free Seat Car +++ paid sponsorships + "im a bookworm" ++ he's got it sorted has Mr. Crossan!

• Advertisement

Aidan in for Rick again today and sounds like it's voicetracked.

Rick does get sick a lot compared to Will

And RTE were supposed to be throwing more resources to Gold.

Aidan Leonard voicetracked AFTER Ronan Collins voicetracked.

What are these people doing in that they can't even do a live show?

Have some respect for the listener.

RTE don't need to throw more resources to Gold for existing presenter shows to be live.

As a side note, has there been any live weekend show, since Gold started ?

The only one AFAIK was pre wind down Eric Moore Golden Years, Saturday I think 5-7 or 6-8pm. But you would probably need to get that clarified by Eric himself.

Agreed they don't need to throw extra resources at Gold for live programming.

Do hope that O'Shea is ok. Hopefully his amount of sick days doesn't transform into the Rick O'Shea slot becoming voicetracked as well.

Aidan voice tracked again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RINO87

If you count the Gold/Radio 1 simulcasts in place of the sports coverage during the covid there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dave Fanning mentioned on air there a new 10 part series starting Sunday 28th January (i.e. tomorrow), The History of Irish Rock. 6pm - 7pm slot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Great news - such a pity no one knows about the shows on the station....no mentions in RTÉ Guide etc

I have Gold on every Saturday from the morning...

Really enjoy Aidan and Micky Macs 70’s show.

Dave Fanning - absolute Legend

Although he is "retired" - what exactly is the reason for Ronan Collins not presenting live shows with text/whatsapp listener interaction ?

He does not even suggest sending requests through the e-mail address ?

• Advertisement

I would think time/money tbh. Although there are folks who would give their right arm to be involved in radio and to present. I am disappointed. There are very good reasons to voice track certain shows especially when the presenter is a HUGE name, in a HUGE market and I am particularly referring to the US. I don't think there is any other reason for not presenting the show live other than some contractual or financial reason.

But it's becoming apparent that Rick O'Shea's slot is also being voicetracked when Rick is absent. Don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe laziness?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00s anorak

Well Ronan Insists that he chose to retire from the radio 1 midday show himself, so it wouldn't make any sense for him to be broadcasting live 3 times the hours from a booth down the corridor.

Then simply just retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00s anorak

Ronan also mentioned in an interview recently that two other radio stations have approached him but he said no because he thinks the said stations are "too formatted ", I'm gonna guess it was Sunshine and Q102 who made the offers

Yeah, he said they still wanted control of the playlist and he didn't want that. Although his RTE Gold show seems to be more mainstream than his Radio 1 show was.

It’s nice to have in in the background if you are working. Doesn’t require too much attention and a bit of patter between 3 or 4 tunes in a row and no ads

RTE Gold is highly formatted also but compared to Q102, Sunshine and the other Irish based Classic Hits/Gold local radio stations, I think it would have a more comprehensive playlist. Not saying it is brilliant but I don't know what Ronan's thinking is.

Ronan said he would not work at a station where he is told what music to play.

https://evoke.ie/2022/12/18/entertainment/ronan-collins-condition

That's exactly what he is doing at RTE Gold !!

Still, I like him and always have.

But it's a shame he can't be himself on Gold, like he was on Radio 1.

Will Leahy is spinning discs today, said the computers are down so he’s resorting to CDs. He said it’s the first time in 7 years that he has to do the whole show off CDs. There was a time a few years ago where Cloudflare had an outage that brought down all RTE online services, Gold playout was also affected but if I recall, he only needed to use CDs for the first hour.

• Advertisement

so how is he managing to play jingles, inserts and promos ? has he those backed up on CDs ?

Advertisement