Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis Hybrid inverter with DIY battery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

good work graememk.

I suppose at moment I won't need to communicate. Initially the only "automation" required will be to enable some load shifting, hopefully Solis should manage it.

😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Haven't ran the solis without a bms, but take it conservative on the intial charge, start at 55 and slowly bump it up, and keep an eye on the cells, as there's nothing to tell the inverter to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm running my pack without a BMS at the moment (but with the NEEY) and that is exactly what you need to do, particularly if you haven't fully top balanced all your cells first. And not only going up, but also going down. So I would charge up to maybe 54V first and don't let it go down below 48V first either (this is still cycling between 99% and 10% or so)

Will the user defined settings photoed above work for lifePO4

😎

They will work with any chemistry, even lead acid!

• Advertisement

A better question might be will they work effectively? Just want something to get me going in a way that is half right and won't harm the battery life. I can fine tune later.

😎

Of course. Some say more effectively than if you use a BMS 🤣

You need to set the voltages right though and you need to keep an eye on the system and check your cell voltages particularly if you don't have a balancer either. Basically all the stuff that a BMS is supposed to do.

Yup have the JK bms. Will have that setup right,

😎

Have this built waiting on some printer filament before sending it off for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Lads,

Is there a max battery size for SEPLOS BMS, I read on some sites 500AH ? - considering expanding to 30Kw

Also, currently I am eyeballing the weather forecast and setting the battery charge on a nighty basis but its a bit of a pain, I am wondering if there is some way that I can have Home Assistant control the BMS when it hits a certain SOC to prevent the battery from charging fully? For instance the batteries charged fully last night and today the solar is only fair today so there will be no waste but yesterday morning they were charged fully but the sun was out most of the day, if I had not have been at home to plug in the car most my leccy would have went to grid. so looking a simple way to set the BMS to stop charging at a certain SOC. Was considering modifying one of the temp probes to simulate overheating or excessively cold temp of the battery to turn off charging.

• Advertisement

Several people are doing that @Big Lar. Check the home automation thread in this forum

Thanking you @unkel, will hav a look

As you have lotz and lotz of batteries, do you know if the SEPLOS is good for 30Kw of batteries?

Seplos and I did not get on, we got divorced. I've remarried since (JK BMS) 😁

But as for any BMS, I can't see any limitation really for the number of cells used. I've 40kWh on the JK BMS no probs

Deleted

Anyone know what the auto battery awaken new setting is?

as my JK BMS doesn't comm with Solis the battery shuts down and needs to be manually restarted at moment. Pain in the ass

😎

User defined option seems to be gone in latest firm ware? So I am using Lead acid settings - but that caps charge around 40a or 2.2kw/hour....any suggestions?

😎

To solve that problem I set the inverter Over Discharge voltage to above the JKBMS so that the inverter disconnects the battery before the JK switches off.

Thanks will try that

😎

Will yours charge any faster than 2.2kw per hour ?

😎

• Advertisement

Hmm interesting- any idea why mine won't go over 2.2kwh, I also have jk bms

ps is that a home assistant interface?

😎

So this hasn't worked can't set higher than 48v, and think I need to be 49v?

😎

I have the BMS lower than 48V, inverter here turned off the battery last night at 3:00am(2:00am inverter time)

For me the JK reads 0.3V higher than the Solis inverter, the lad in "Off grid Garage" saw the same difference, also see the BMS graph below the voltage just dips down and recovers, from here the battery will only power the inverter and not feed back to the house until it starts charging again.

Cell 9 which is the lowest cell I have drops to 2.94v so no harm done.

My JK also reading 0.3V higher than solis.

some of my cells seem to drop of scale quickly once below 3.0. As BMS cell UVP is 2.65- so presumably that is what is getting hit and triggering cut off. Crap cells or not properly balanced? Would have expected with active balancer they would have sorted themselves out?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dermotx

Hi. I have a 3kW Solis hybrid inverter RHI-3K-48ES-5G which has a max charge/discharge current of 62.5A. I have 16 cells on order from NKON. My next purchase has to be the BMS.

Now from this thread and others there appears to be lots of difficulty with various BMS models communicating with the Solis inverters. Some people have been successful with the Seplos and others with the JK.

Which is the easier to use?

Dermot

I'm thinking of going with the JK BMS because it has an active balancer built in. However as I'm new to this I'd like to use the BMS that is easiest to use with my Solis hybrid inverter.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Dermot

There isnt any experience yet with the solis and the new JK that communicate with the solis.

The old one does work with the interface board, (the one on off grid garage) but user defined mode is possibly needed.

Thanks for that. In light of that would I be better getting a Seplos? Has the Seplos BMS been shown to work with the Solis inverters?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theRed73

I have a Solis s5 6k and ordered a master/slave kit to go with my pair of older JKs and DIY battery banks. Hopefully I can share what works or not in a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Is there any trick to remove the AC Backup connector?

I've tried to spin the locker on the top anticlockwise but nothing happens, even with quite a bit of force but it won't move. I'm afraid of breaking the thing...

Advertisement