Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension overfunded. AVC query.

Options
  • 08-01-2024 4:13pm
    Administrators Posts: 360 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Pension Advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Kinsailor

I retired at the beginning of September 2023. In the years prior to retiring I moved all of my AVC funds into Cash to de-risk any stock market losses.

At the time of my retirement 5 months ago my AVCs were surrendered from the Company Scheme nut were still retained by the fund manager for the following reasons.

I had invested heavily in my AVC pension for over 40 years there was a chargeable excess due on my combined AVC and DB pension. ( I realise that I am very fortunate to be in that position ). As there were actuarial queries (between the Pension Trustees and Fund Managers) related to commutation of a part of my DB pension to pay my chargeable excess , there has been a delay of over 5 months in processing my pension and releasing the funds (post taxation etc). I was aware of those delays and was OK that it would take some time to release the funds - I expect all to be resolved during this coming month.

Recently I queried from the fund manager what the current value of the AVC fund is and I have been told that it is and will remain the same as when they were surrendered 5 months ago. So during this period I have not gained from the approx 1.2% growth over the past 5 months of the cash funds that the money had been invested in prior to surrender.

What I am wondering is what is the normal practice for such a situation ? : I am presuming that the funds just don't sit there and accordingly the fund manager continues to have them invested - but does that mean that the fund manager gets the benefit of the funds vs me during that period ?.

(By the way - I also recognise that by having the AVC amount frozen I also had downside protection and would have avoided the type of cash losses that people have seen prior to the 2022/2023 increases in interest rates making cash returns positive ).

I have not yet approached the pension fund provider on this query as I wanted to arm myself with some informed advice on the topic from this forum first.

I hope that I have explained the situation appropriately but please dont hesitate to follow up if I have omitted anything material.

(I should have also added for those who are thinking that I missed out on much higher returns during the 5 months (than the low cash returns) , I have a relatively low risk threshold for losses.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New thread created. This wasn't overly relevant to the one which it was originally posted to. It's a rare enough one too.

p.s. I'd guess that the funds aren't earning anything (probably help in a current account in suspense awaiting clarification and distribution). I'd be asking your broker/provider to clarify that.

Advertisement