Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to use a stove with a broken window?

Options
  • 21-12-2023 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

I've ordered in a replacement glass for my multifuel stove after a log tumbled out of my arms when bringing in a load of them and shattered the glass ....

The suppliers are saying it will be after xmas, so that DIY job will have to wait until then.

The stove manual says not to use without a window because of "over firing" risk but i wonder is that just them covering themselves? I'm a bit gutted as the weather is crap and i love a nice toasty stove especially over the xmas holidays,

If i put the damper on to full below and the air wash open above i cannot see how it would be much different to an open fire?

I'll be burning wood so not as hot as coals, what do you think?, safe enough apart from cutting myself on the glass shards left and not going to damage the stove as long as i use a bit of cop or just burn some electricity instead?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Annoyingly, no you can't use it with the door like that, it will throw a flame-ball up the chimney and possibly cause a chimney fire.

Out of interest, what stove is it as I have a spare Oisin glass here which I can't fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Is it in a fireplace or out on it's own? The bigger concern for me would be the burning wood crackling and spitting out some burning embers into the room. You might get away with that in a normal fireplace as it's set back and could have the fireguard up, but not in a stand alone out in the room.

Have you got any scrap metal available to do a temporary patch fix on the window? I assume there's a back boiler from the way you're talking so that probably wouldn't work correctly/efficiently with the open hole either. I can't see anyone advising to use it as is.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its an inset stove without back boiler (not Oisin - thanks for the offer), with a stupidly big glass fronted door that looks brillo and modern when not broken but not so good right now.

Fireballs up the chimney sounds like too much drama for me at this time of year, will suck it up and use the electric "fire" on the big day and the boring gas heated rads for the rest, Timing sucks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, I think in this case it's better to be safe than sorry. If anything happened, your insurer would probably not cover anything resulting from it being used against manufacturers recommendations.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Depending on where you live there's a place in New ross co wexford that will cut the glass if you give them a template.

I assume its Dublin but I'm sure there are others out there that do the same service doesn't have to be from the makers.

• Advertisement

Thanks, there's a few places like that alright, problem is the glass isn't plain, it covers the whole door so is see through in the middle but the rest is black. That would do in a pinch if i couldn't get the original. I'm going to get a spare one and bung in the attic for the next time i do this.And knowing me there will be a next time. Note to self - next stove don't get a completely glass fronted one despite how sleek it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The common issue is people slamming the door shut when there is a log that is just a bit too long ;-) You seem to have been very unlucky.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

If you're handy with a jig saw, get a piece of 1mm or 1.5mm sheet metal cut to size, but allowing say 3mm all around for expansion. Attach a piece of say 10mm x 10mm angle iron diagonally (on inside) with pop rivets to keep metal rigid. Fit in place with intumescent mastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Put a small fire down and see. Id say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's got 2 other heating system options. It makes no sense to play with fire excuse the pun. Especially this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nulties hardware outside of julianstown sorted me with a glass one Stephens day. They told me at the time if it's a Stanley stove stockists are obliged to stock 3 spare of the glass form each model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wouldn't rush to get a Stanley unless its the ideal stove for your needs. There is no connection to Ireland or Waterford anymore the foundry there went years back, even the assembly plant is long gone and in the last couple of years they have moved all the spares over to the UK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

" a stupidly big glass fronted door "

Oh, god. Have ye had a Price on that?

My door's glass is c. 10" x 10", max. It's also cracked. Nasty crack(s). But, nothing to cause any concerns, as long as I don't bash it somehow. Using it perfectly happily, even as I type. Have been for months yet.

Only, figuring I'd best sort it out, I asked in the local provisioners ~ they cut glass there. Just in passing. Idle curiosity. I didn't have the exact measurements on me at the time. Lad reckoned they price it by the Square Inch!

That got my attention! When I got home, measured it. Got the calculator out ..... 😱 Sweet Jesus!!! My dinky little bugger's set to cost me about €80.00!!! So, yeah. Bloody good luck with ye " Stupidly big " piece ~ with the 'special, black trim' too? And ye gonna get a Spare one too??? Wow! 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

80 seems reasonable tbh

Advertisement