Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice

Options
  • 22-12-2023 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Help!!!!!!! We moved to a rural area all be it in a housing estate this year. House was empty for at least 10 years according to the neighbours.

The two previous owners were great diy men!!!!!!!!!!!! We have done a good bit of work but recently been catching mice in the attic.

We can not find the point of entry. We might as well have shares in expanding foam, wire wool, and calk.

my husband is regularly doing checks on the attic and the only place left that is a possibility is a place we can’t get access too and maybe the roof???

I’ve peppermint, plug ins in every room. I’m obviously terrifed. We’ve had people out and all you get is you’re going to get them they’ll find a way in. I literally can’t cope. I’m about to pop baby number 2 and not sleeping with the worry.

Any Advise

thanks

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Get a cat.

put cat in attic.

no more mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bluey2023

😂😂😂 unfortunately due to being pregnant the risk with a cat right now are not good. Can’t really leave him up there. Have thought about it to be honest ha. We have a dog terrier so I think that’s deterring they from being down stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You don’t leave the cat up there. Good god.

the mice will smell the cat and piss off. If you live in the countryside from time to time you’re going to have mice. Especially in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭geographica

Detached house?

Cavity walls?

How old is the building?

I was joking 😂😂

• Advertisement

semi. Built in the 80’s. Cavity on side of attached

It’s very possible that when builders put in the sewage/foul pipes they failed to fill around the pipe, these would be underneath the footpath surrounding the house at the back or side.

Check around the site to see if there’s any tunnelling especially from under shrubbery or decking, this can give access to the cavity of the house which leads to the attic space

We’ve filled everything around the perimeter of the house as there was cracks etc with cement. We will check the sewage again but when we moved in we had drain doc out and I had them check as a precaution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Were they already in the house

The plastic traps with chocolate will get them

we caught two in the kitchen when we got the keys. There was a massive gap between the piping and outside. So we filled that in. We got the attic insulated and they said they was no sign of them up there when we moved in and now there is 😭

we are catching them but I don’t want them in in the first place I’m terrified of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Once they're in the house you've to kill them, get good heavy traps, bit of peanut butter does the trick. There isn't a merciful way out of it if one lives there will be 10 next month and sealing points of entry doesn't do anything about them.

I had an infestation killed maybe 10-15 before they stopped. I would discourage using poison.

Examine your surrounding area, get rid of any trash, shelter for them, consider doing away with some foliage, set some traps under decking or porches where cats can't get into. if you're feeding birds, sadly, stop that.

They're probably not getting into the house if you've sealed all round

You'll have to trap them quick as possible

As I said we are catching them. Peanut butter is doing the trick. But I want to try stop them getting in. We have cleared around the house and do so on a daily basis. We have a dog so area needs to be clean for him. I clear up after him daily/twice daily no food left out. Bins away from house. Sweep up and leafs or anything that would give shelter

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭chrisd2019

Be patient, traps and bait are effective. Mice are part of life in Ireland, both rural and urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Borrow a cat for a day or so? Let him in the attic..

Yeah I was thinking that too but don’t know neighbours that well to adk

Cat not much use if the house is sealed now

Ya wanna be setting about 10 traps

You wouldn’t see this entry point unless there’s evidence around the grounds of tunnelling or you kango up the footpath around the house

Also have you an oil burner or?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

It's right pain and unfortunately even a new house doesn't mean you'll get away with it.

It could be a case that you were unlucky and a pregnant one got in and had litter, you'd be surprised how common this is in winter. Or as you said it was empty for a long time, don't want to upset you but could a lot of em just don't see them.

My only advice is plenty of poison in the attic and plenty of good traps in the attic and each room seeing as you mentioned they got to the kitchen. It'll take time but you'll have to clear it out unless ye want try and get exterminators advice.

I will say the old fashioned Luna wooden traps I swear by, peanut butter is the best as it hardens and they really have to go at the trap, never fails.

For what it's worth on the fear side I always hated the little **** but don't bother me now when I've some caught, amazing how you can go from creeped out to just pissed off lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We have great success with external bait boxes.

Also if you are in semi d, I'd say there is a pathway for them from neighbours house along roof soffit.

They do tend to get into external wall cavities and as such will find their way to attic and possibly 1st floor floor void and even stud walls.

I also believe the electronic repellers are effective specially in a semi as the mice will move next door if a path exists.

I read that some city in America sponsored a cat shelter programme. The area was overrun with rats etc. The plan involved putting an insulated cat bedding box under family houses if the family agreed to feed their cat. Worked a treat.

Yeah I’m more annoyed 😂😂😂 oh we’ve plenty of poison and I think last count 6 traps and one rat trap.

I tried the poison around the house in the bait traps but it was never touched.

I was told by a farmer 4 corners of the garden as they’ll go in a straight line?!? Not sure but it was never touched.

we catch one then nothing for a while then another. Traps a set constantly and regularly checked. Last night was first night I actually heard one and it tipped me over the edge. Nothing in trap as of yet. The husband was out so the fear was heightened

I had them and never touched. I had the garden full of them.

I have the plug ins in all rooms bar one. I’ve no socket on the attic other than that I’d put one up there too. Apparently doesn’t prevent just makes it uncomfortable for them to stay.

there is a lot of trees and bushes next door so think they may be using that to climb and get in through the roof. But they little things can get in anywhere 😭

The plug-in devices only deter and won't get rid of them I'm told. Useful once you get shut of the ones that have set up home.

saabsaab

Registered Users

bluey20233:26 pm

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121526706#Comment_121526706

I had them and never touched. I had the garden full of them. 

I have the plug ins in all rooms bar one. I’ve no socket on the attic other than that I’d put one up there too. Apparently doesn’t prevent just makes it uncomfortable for them to stay. 

there is a lot of trees and bushes next door so think they may be using that to climb and get in through the roof. But they little things can get in anywhere 😭

The plug-in devices only deter and won't get rid of them I'm told. Useful once you get shut of the ones that have set up home.

yeah had them since we’ve moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Actually they do tend to hug walls aka follow a straight path I was once told so usually set straps in the corners or along by the skirting

At this stage I'd just set a couple in every room to try and be done with it.

God you are giving me flashbacks. They used get into the hot press here and what was worse we fitted a stove and they were able get out a long the new pipes and into the sitting room, I chanced expanding foam at the top of the tank to the attic and I was delighted to have them confined to the attic only at that stage 😂

With luck once you clear this lot you might not get many for a while hopefully but I don't think you'll ever totally stop them getting in for good unless you live in a iron box.

Trick will be in future once you hear one set up traps don't do what did I and forget and before I knew it I had 12 caught 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Friend of mine works for a huge pest control company doing research on bait and traps. He told me that EVERY house has mice. They come in when the weather starts to get cold, have babies and you get more mice until the spring and they move out again.

He said they sneak in the door faster than the eye can see when you open it. In windows. Up down pipes or along branches or wires and on to the roof and then under the eaves. They can run up the vertical wall of your house to your roof in less that a second. Bricks and dash especially. 99% of them will find their way to the attic as nobody disturbs them there and you might not even ever be aware of your housemates during the winter. You might hear the odd one scratching at the top of the plaster slab on your ceiling if they are building a nest in there and thats when you realize you have guests.

Cats make no difference in a house to mice. 99% of the time they stay where a cat wont get them. Cats only catch them outdoors and even thats only young cats and when they are bored and looking for something to play with. Those plug in deterrents are 100% useless. Dont use poison inside because sometimes they die in your walls or attic somewhere you cant reach and stink your house out. You dont want one to die in your house where you cant find it. The smell stays for a couple of months. Imagine living in a house with the smell of death for a couple of months.

Advertisement