Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Because they can, and really easy to do.

Big battery + electric motors. Doing 0-60 quickly is easy in an electric car, it's getting the grip down to the road from all that torque.

The model S plaid was dominating everything bar that other electric supercar... Rimmac.

Drive train wise its likely no different to the plaid. It's the batteries that limit the motor.

Edison's hybrid Semi, Topsy is similar, " oh you need more power", just make it a tri axle and it changes from 500kW to 750kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In Ireland, builders and farmers buy trucks and use them as trucks. In America Joe Soaps buy trucks and use them like we use cars. Meaning it's exactly what it needs to be in America

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Disagree's it's a halo product, also claims it's not a serious product with too high a price tag. At least try to be consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf they are both consistent and aligned. It's not halo, it's a non serious product with an expensive price tag.

Halo doesn't mean a serious product with cheap price on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Most halo products aren't serious mass market proposistions and pricing doesn't really matter, they're designed to get you talking about the brand and seeing them in the way the brand owner wants you to so that they can ultimatly sell you something, usually something that isn't the halo product itself.

What makes the Cybertruck not a halo product, it's generating lot's of brand awareness. Plenty of people talking about Tesla right now, precisly because Cybertruck is so different.

• Advertisement

If it isn't mass market why is Musk pretending that it is, that it would be cheap and that they'd ship hundreds of thousands.

Then went and built something that is hand crafted and very much pieced together.

There's a production line, the people at the reveal event were given a tour of it. Hand crafted is generally a sign of high quality (Rolls Royce, Asron Martin, Bugatti etc), I think Tesla are more mechanised than that

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

A small irrelevant point.....Going by the number I've seen broken down on English motorways or on the back of breakdown trucks Aston Martin is definitely not high quality.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Whether you like the truck, the brand or the guy that runs the company, it’s a very interesting concept and the fact they are able to reduce rare earth materials in the process.

Yes it’s different, yes, it’s different what we are used to, but hell, I’m only 13 years into a touch screen phone. My children have never seen a landline!

”You know how cars have huge wiring harnesses?

That's because each component needs its own set of wires, connected to the central ECUs, in order to function.

Every speaker, every switch, every sensor, every actuator, every button.

Tesla threw out that entire system for Cybertruck.

Instead, they're running gigabit ethernet cabling with a 48v power + data CAN bus to every component— all on the same cable.

Instead of running one wiring harness to the driver door speaker, and another to the driver's door window motor, they can daisy-chain them together on the same self-contained cable interface. Your computer could connect to your door handle using the *same* wire that's already been through your speaker, window, ambient lights, and steering wheel.

Each of those devices/components listen to the continuous stream of data for a command relevant to its operation.

By doing this,Tesla was able to reduce the total wiring in the Cybertruck by 77%, using 1/2 the copper”

Copied from Twitter as I know some posters on here have deleted the app in protest 😂

Why is it irrelavant? Generally far more care goes into hand made cars when it comes to fit and finish. Cybertruck is built using giant steel presses, not exactly the kind of place where you want to involve lots of hands

• Advertisement

A lot of industry has moved to CANbus for a lot of things too (or ISOBUS) but its the same thing.

Even the drive by wire on the steering. On tractors its been drive by hydraulics with no direct connection to the steering wheel. "what happens if a wire breaks".. is the same as "what if a pipe bursts" No redudancy on tractors and heavy machinery..

Canbus being decades old and an industry standard. It's use and purpose and proliferation in vehicles being very much an industry norm.

Canbus is as old as me. I specifically bolded the reduction is wiring and copper. Fantastic to reduce the use of refined materials. Many cars doing it now and so they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Is it true there is a clause in the contract that says you can’t sell it for at least a year after purchase? That couldn’t be enforced - presume it’s nonsense?

Initially there was but that was removed. Before it actually went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no, but don’t let a photo with text form an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's a very impressive and seems like a mature product that makes all the competition look like what they are, a 1950's design with a rustprone body on a flexible frame. Seen the under skin design and tech, no wonder it took 4 years to get it on the market. Once they sort out the 4680 battery cell production they can increase the production volume by introducing the cheaper variants at much lower prices.

You make it sound as if industrial control systems over ethernet are a new invention, here's an article discussing the move

Tesla aren't innovating fast, they are just adopting innovations quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Have to say fair fcks to Tesla- we won’t see innovation in our ordinary cars and vehicles unless there’s companies out there doing these type of projects.

In addition, its a lot more unique, and innovative than the highly anticipated and very disappointing VW Buzz, which is way over priced for what it is - incredible what sho1te we have to put up with

Most of the innovations we're seeing in the cybertruck aren't all that different from where the industry is heading anyway. 48V power systems, replacing can-bus with an ethernet based system, steer by wire, 4 wheel steering, 800V DC charging, vehicle to load/grid have all been done before. Even Delorean already went down the route of staineless steel body panels. Tesla truely are the Apple of the auto world.

They've integrated everything into a nice package and convinced thier audience that USB C is shiny and new. Somehow that's also triggered the people that hate on Tesla to reject the changes as unneeded and/or change for the sake of change.

Worth noting that IS10101 is out for public consultation and one of the alterations is vehicle to home power supply.

Just thought I’d mention as above touched on the V2G.

I'd agree with most of what you say however the last bit. The car looks crap it's complete flawed in its finish and manufacturer and resembles something that you'd put your test rig together on not a finished product or platform.

I tend to think logic is throw out the window similar to apple users who believe the apple package means more than analysising what your paying for and what you get.

In my honest opinion as I've stated tesla could have delivered something really special in the pick up space. They've enough design experience at this point to do so. Instead what they delivered can easily be construed as a fanboys wetsdream. Something someone drew from a Halo game animation. That's harder to argue against.

I don't think people would argue that their engineers aren't fantastic at what they do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cybertruck is 11kW capable V2G which is excellent and properly suited to run (essential operations of) house during outages

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Looks of a vehicle are always subjective, some people loved Delorean's some people will love Cybertruck. Stainless steel exterior is a fashion choice. I liken it to recent years of BMW's where they went crazy with the kidney grill. Some people loved it, I thought it looked ridiculous.

Fully agreed. I don't think it's necessarily looks. It's the core design and implementation. The sharp edges the fit, the bended and damaged panels. It's not a workable design for production. Significant failures across the board. That's not subjective that's in manufacturing

The astounding part is that people are looking past this where they would give out reams and wouldn't leave a showroom floor if their new Toyota, vw , Renault looked like that at pickup. Again not subjective. Apple levels of compromise with glaring omissions of functionality.

I think what I'm saying is it's amazing what they're allowed to get away with. In that respect its very emperor has no clothes. It would 100 percent not occur in any other marque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

There are those sub systems of which engineers have been talking about for tens of years, some have happened like 4WS, but in general the change was not going to happen with the management of the trad car makers as the number of components that have to change is so high. You really need a vertically integrated company with a good leader to dare to for example change all the low voltage components in a new model of vehicle.

Seriosly, you don't think that for example the the body construction of this vehicle is really revolutionary compared to any other pickup truck or other non-Tesla Model 3/Y vehicle out there? That Cybertruck is just an equivalent of slightly more advanced USB-C?

Advertisement