Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The good lady is from down South Laois direction and I was in the Carlow Wetherspoons maybe twice.

A refurbed venue with a long corridor with tables either side leading to a square room set up with the bar to the right hand side.

Carpets on the floor and bright strip lighting.

Both times it was very slack trade wise.

A few 40-70 yr old bar flys propping up the counter was the height of it. By the nonsense talk they’d all been there most of the day.

Noted a few members of our travelling community day drinking away also.

This was mid week. I Havnt a clue whether if they were busy on weekends - probably? Also I can see students going there for the cheap booze.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably, but also think it's just a total culture clash that will limit their growth and bottom line.

I don't think most Irish drinkers find British-style pubs to be attractive, and I don't think cheaper booze is enough to get them to overlook this. I think most people would rather pay a bit more for their drinks to sit in a pub with an ambiance and atmosphere that they're used to.

They are fairly mediocre places to be, literally the only thing they have going for them is the drink prices.

Also no Guinness 👎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I accept your point, although it's a bit disingenuous of Irish people to complain about expensive drink, and then not become customers of Spoons when they open.

I complain about brewer's dominance and margins, but I walk the walk by visiting Spoons every time I'm in Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I occasionally stop off for a drink in the Silver Penny on Abbey Street, and while I can point to many issues with it, one attractive thing about it is a very good cask ale selection, at a phenomenal price.

Offhand, I'm not aware of anywhere else I could drink Dungarvan Black Rock stout on cask at the moment, in Dublin, and not for 2.50 a pint.

But in general, if they 'do well' or survive in Ireland, I probably agree it won't come down to things like their cask selection.

The Abbey Street location can be very entertaining, even if you're only there for 20 minutes in the evening, having a pint while waiting for the bus, you might catch some kind of drama unfolding, due to the nature of the clientele (Clearly excluding moi). I appreciate this is a double-edged sword, I find a lot of it funny, more than anything, and feel safe enough in that kind of environment, but it's not somewhere I would like to bring friends and family to, or be there and have had a substantial amount to drink. More of a dip in and dip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of curiosity what sort of entertainment/drama goes on at the Silver Penny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm not out that frequently in Dublin, but it is the cask beers I would go to the 'spoons for. I haven't had any success in Camden Street, and they only had one on (despite what the app said) last time I was in Grand Canal Dock (and it wasn't one of the Irish ones).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Scuffles, people being ejected from the porch... Drama of all kinds, really.

Some of the clientele are quite chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I've been in the Silver Penny about four or five times since the start of September, all on a Saturday afternoon, between 2 and 5 say. Only once did I see any kind of "drama" and it was a one drunk man speaking a bit loudly to another drunk man at the same table as him, it might have boiled over but I got the impression they were keeping a lid on it as a group, given the very obvious security situation.

I was exclusively drinking cask ales, and paying 2.50 a pint for them. I was in the company of what I suppose you'd term "beer nerds" and the conversation centred around the beer itself, so it was perfect for what we wanted. On at least 2 occasions they had the Rugby World Cup match that was taking place at the time, on at least one screen.

When are Carlow, Waterford and Cork closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No one knows, only confirmed that they are up for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I happened across the one in Grand Canal Plaza yesterday evening, it was really busy and lively, especially for a Spoons.

Anyway they had like 5 different types of really good ale for, 2 f**king 50 a pint! Couldn't believe it. Had 3 pints and plenty of change from a tenner.

Nice place with a good crowd and good service to your table. I'm definitely going back, I don't know why the places have such a bad name although I used to live near some really depressing Spoons in London.

Yes, I have been in the Grand Canal Dock outlet twice.

Busy both times, many non-Irish, as might be expected by the employment nearby.

The pub is over two floors, there is seating in the basement. Also seating outside.

Yes, 2.50 for cask ale, great value.

When you think about it, the 2.50 price shows the massive profits being made by brewers and pubs selling pints for 6.00-7.00 nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or the massive discounts spoons can negotiate with their buying power.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah it's not really a like for like comparison. Spoons have a completely different business model to every other hospitality venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In other words they don't get bent over by Guinness and Heineken Ireland

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've been in the Carlow one maybe 15-20 times.

For me, It's clean, warm, has a couple of large screens with Sky Sports and TNT Sports, and pints of Stella for €3.00 or Renegade for €3.45

I'd only be in for the sport and a few cheap pints now and then, perhaps never there past 8pm, so never saw any hassle.

The 3 half (or is it 1/3) pints of cask for €1.95 is insane value, when the cask festival is on.

It will continue to trade until sold, a staff member told me.

Beamish at 4.45 in the South Strand on Grand Canal Harbour is actually dearer than Beamish at 4.20 in the Auld Triangle on Dorset street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

4.20 is a great price, but 4.45 is still great value in the south docks office area. I can't see many docklands/southside office workers etc making the trek up to the junction of Dorset st/Gardiner St to save 25c pint.

I'm happy to see more Weatherspoons in city centre locations. if you go in with a crowd from work, or group of friends, you make your own atmosphere. There are exceptions like Mulligans, but I dont think most office-clientele Dublin city centre pubs are big on "atmosphere".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I see a certain MMA fighter's stout is now on tap in the ROI pubs. No sign in the NI or UK pubs, yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd rather drink literal píss...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

€4.45 for a pint of Beamish or €5.10 for a pint of stout from the scrote who assaults innocent people in pubs. Tough choice that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Forged is €4.10 in the Carlow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'm no fan of McGregor, but i think Forged is a decent stout, flavour-wise. Better than Guinness/Murphys/Beamish IMO.

I've heard Proper 12 is horrible, but I've never had the opportunity to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

It's all personal taste but I've tried Forged and thought it was awful stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK Forged is rebadged Porterhouse Plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Proper 12 is a close cousin to basic Bushmills.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's definitely in some Irish pubs in London sadly.

Freehouses that have the pick of UK craft breweries but choose that gimp.

As for Spoons failing in Ireland a lot of it is down to the lazy attitude from Brexiters like Martin that Ireland is exactly like the UK. A city the size of Galway or a town like Carlow in England will have fuk all going on. The town centre will be a Costa, a Greene King and a Pizza Express (Milano)

The level of good pubs per km² in Ireland in major urban centres is way above the UK going by population and not cultural importance. People can say all they want that the cheaper beer will "show those greedy Irish pubs" but there is no evidence to suggest that people choose price over quality in pubs.

Is your point that a settlement of, say, 60,000 people will be busier in Ireland than a 60,000 place in GB?

I often wondered why that is?

Post edited by Geuze on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lots of those 60k towns with a Big Spoons as their main pub are extremely poor, many have been since Thatcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,538 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick has 90,000 which puts it in the bracket of minor regional city in the UK whereas in Ireland it makes it the 3rd biggest centre and therefore in cultural terms the Manchester or Leeds of Ireland.

I have friends from Torquay and Carlisle which are roughly similar to Limerick and people there would never expect to have a major sports team or be upset when Bruce Springsteen doesn't choose their town.

The other difference is the chains have gutted the English high street and gutted the level of expectation of the customer. They think a Nicholsons pub and meat and veg from a Sainsbury's are quality to be cherished.

So Spoons probably think we can do great in Cork because we can do great in a Cork size city in England but a Cork size city in England won't have a Bierhaus, Abbotts, the Rising Sons pubs or the myriad of old local pubs Cork has.

Advertisement