Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'You're Grand'?

Options
  • 03-12-2023 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I know people are likely to disagree with me on this one. I owed someone a €10 recently and I gave it to the person two days later. When I gave it to him, his response was "you're grand"... acting as if there was no need to repay it at all, or perhaps as if to imply I was over thinking it the whole thing. It's technically a lie, isn't it? As in I'd hardly be the exact same in his opinion if I didn't pay it back. I'm not saying he needed to be super appreciative or anything, but why give someone a mixed message? If it were me, and if I were paid it back I'd just say 'thanks' or 'that's grand'. Even if I didn't care about being down a tenner, and if I thought it was the done thing to not bother paying it back (i.e. that I literally thought they were grand), I'd still just say thanks.

I heard it again the other day when a man at a bus stop was waiting in the wrong area (or something like that) as the driver was boarding people. After he boarded them he put his hands up and got no reaction from the man waiting. He then very aggressively shouted "I'm not waiting for you all day" and then man rushed over and said 'sorry about that' as he entered. The bus driver responded with "you're grand". He had let off his steam so it didn't matter, but he didn't think the man was grand... he probably thought he was an idiot. If I were the driver I'd just say "don't worry", which (now that I think about it) means "there's no point in worrying about it now". I don't need to lie to him.

I don't think I heard this phrase anywhere near as much twenty years back. I presume people just said "it's fine" or the like.

Comments

Advertisement