Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They are tieing up every small boat they can on safety grounds 😂, i wonder what the insurance would be......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Cancelled Tesla Cybertruck orders to be refunded in Australia

Two months after the Cybertruck was wiped from Tesla’s Australian website, the company has confirmed customers who placed an order can apply for a refund of their deposit."

21 July 2022" https://www.drive.com.au/news/tesla-cybertruck-orders-refunded-australia/?utm_campaign=syndication&utm_source=smh.com.au&utm_content=article_2&utm_medium=partner

The design of the cybertruck is as if it were intentionally intended to kill any pedestrian it hit. I have always suspected it wouldn't get approval in the EU and other countries that care about pedestrians, unlike the US. I suspect this issue is why it won't be sold elsewhere.

"Meanwhile, Tesla CEO Elon Musk today announced the Cybertruck will enter production next year and turn up on US roads mid-way through 2023, although only North American customers will be able to place an order for the all-electric pick-up."

Allowing for the usual Musksh​it, that means it might make it onto US roads in 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Has it aged well ? ( non promotional pic used)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. Its old hat at this stage. Good riddance to bad and dangerous rubbish. So glad it will never be sold here. Far too big for Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they probably aren’t arsed making a RHD model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

New charge port location unveiled. It’s basically part of the wheel arch. The article questions if this is a good place on a working truck as it could be more prone to damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s the best place for it as the cover is now plastic. Having to hinge a steel cover would be painful and expensive, as would replacement and cutting etc

if it falls over you could just put a cover like CCS has.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought this thread would have been on fire the last couple of days, is the cybertruck definitely not coming to Ireland?

Anybody still have a deposit down?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's definitly not coming to Europe or Australia. The US sees pedestrians as criminals who can be mowed down with impunity, Europe and Australia don't. The Cybertruck looks like a purpose built device for causing the maximum possible damage to pedestrians. There are vehicle design standards in Europe aimed at reducing or minimising impact to pedestrians and cyclists.

According to EU auto standards expert Stefan Teller the Cybertruck would have to undergo “major modifications to the basic structure” because the Cybertruck

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/12/16/tesla-cybertruck-not-street-legal-in-eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

be interesting to see how sales go, if the public will over look the rather immature designs, but the american market is a strange one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't that for cars though there's different rules for vans/trucks.

I don't see much of a difference between getting hit with this and a Ford Wildtrack.

sharp panels probably wouldnt end well in a collision....

Ms

Good. Hopefully it stays that way. None if us want this monstrosity on our roads. Not only is it dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists but its dangerous to other vehicle users too. Imagine this hitting a Fiesta or a Sante fe. The extra hard and extra stiff steel panels on this thing do not come with crumple zones I would say. It would go right through other vehicles and besides its over 3 ton. You would need a lorry license just to drive it.

Hopefully badly and whitin a year or two Tesla cancel it if they are not gone bust from making it lol.

This monstrosity is not only dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists but other vehicle users too. It would more than likely go right through or right over your car or vehicle depending on what your driving. The tyres alone on it are 35inch lol so what does that make the wheels? They must be at least 33inchs. Massive. Hell I would even guess a tractor would come out the worst against this thing in a head on crash. Its made of a new hardened and stiffened steel that does not are for anything else. I wonder did they even crash test it. It would probably break all the equipment in the American Crash test Authority if they tried.

So I hope it's a massive flop for Tesla

...i just cant see it being successful, but weird things do happen, their cars are stunning, some great innovation happening in their factories tbf....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭PaulRyan97

It will never come to Europe. No way in way hell it can pass any safety standards here.

It still doesn't even have a crash rating from the NHTSA which is unusual. From the crash test videos I saw, it's exactly as anyone with half a brain could determine when the unveiled it. It barely deforms, the steel panels are so rigid that what crumble zones are there, don't do any half decent job of transferring the energy away from the passenger compartment.

The rear axle snapped in a 35mph head-on collision. That's shockingly bad, most likely the passengers would be killed or seriously injured. It's not even completely safe from rollovers, the frame is so heavy that it's CoG is nearly that of a regular ICE truck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you been to the US and seen the size of their pickups? Nothing unusual here, hit by a Ram or Silverado or Cybertruck at 35mph and results will be the same with those massive front ends

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't care about any of that safety nonsense. Just bring me my ridiculous truck, I want it now!

PS: It fits the eu licencing criteria on weight, and also as the steering is steer by wire it will be easily made in RHD.

Yeah I have, you can look up crash tests for those, an F150, Silverado or RAM 1500 would be the equivalents. Their back axles certainly did not snap during those tests.

To be fair Tesla's usually have very good safety ratings, I have no doubt they could have built an excellent pickup truck if only they hadn't proceeded with such a ludicrous design.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What’s the difference between getting hit by a CT or an artic truck that are on our roads? Or a Dublin bus? Or any of the mastic land rovers, pick up trucks etc

I don’t think I’d want to be hit by any of them to be honest so don’t see why the CT is singled out, or is it simply because it’s a Tesla?

Post edited by Gumbo on

Well for lorries you need a special license first of all, they have a plethora of safety systems designed to prevent such accidents, they tend not to be driving through urban areas as much where they are more likely to encounter pedestrians and they substantially larger, noiser and slower than the CT.

You are right though, a large chunk of the CyberTrucks problems are also shared by other large pickups and SUVs. Huge front hood heights means a pedestrian is more likely to receive a fatal impact to the upper torso. It's the reason there's an ever increasing number of pedestrian fatalities in the US.

What makes the CyberTruck standout to me, is not just it's size and design making it so dangerous to pedestrians, it's the apparent disregard for the safety of those driving it too. When you pair that with Elon Musk's personality and involvement in this particular project, you get the feeling of a vanity project that was pushed presumably over the objections of engineers who knew of it's flawed design.

• Advertisement

Not launching in Europe probably doesn't bother Tesla in the short-term, they have years of a backlog of orders, people with deposits down would be getting restless, still wonder if getting your money back is sufficient, Tesla have failed to deliver, they probably have it covered in the small print but I am sure some legal experts will be examining possibilities.

They're offering reservation holders $1000 to purchase a different Tesla vehicle.

They had 2 million "reservations", which I would presume we're majority RWD and the regular AWD. Now they're at least $20k more expensive, with less range and the RWD won't be delivered until 2025.

Even if not a single reservation holder switched it would take nearly 8 years at their current predicted production rate to meet those.

Ms

Not in Ireland it does not. You would need a truck license to drive this here as its over 3ton. Do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's an awful ugly ******* vehicle.

Are you sure?I thought license covered 3.5 tonne?

Yes, 3500kg is the limit for a B Licence here in Ireland. You are correct.

You are incorrect sir. The weight of the cyber truck is 3100kg. Perfectly legal to drive on a B Licence.

And that’s the heaviest, tri motor “cyber beast” version. They get lighter in the AWD (2995kg), RWD not advertised yet so I can only guess it’s the same weight of 2995kg or lighter again.

Nope. Its an N1 classified vehicle, perfectly legal for a commercial EV to be up to 4250kg GVWR on a b licence.

As put on the NDLS website , "Alternatively fuelled vehicles with a MAM1 exceeding 3,500 kg. but not exceeding 4,250 kg. for the transport of goods operating without a trailer by holders of a category B driving licence which was issued at least two years before"

https://www.ndls.ie/about/licence-categories-and-codes.html#licence-categories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Advertisement