Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭theVersatile

14 points gifted and lost by six ...

The gap has certainly closed between these sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Cracker of a game, congrats Leinster. LBP is a good result considering the team we'd out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't think that is a game either team will look back on fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Munster still look to struggle to break down a set defense in the 22. Lacking powerful carriers to compress the line and make breaks. Leinster are far better set there. Have to say wouldn't have much between Frawley and Crowley today, bar in the kicking game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I believe that's what he's asked to do.

Shoot up and attackers are aware and make poor decisions.

He's a good tackler.

• Advertisement

Did Culhane get on at all? Have to give credit to Rowntree for getting Butler and Gleeson on with the game in the balance

Edit: mind Buckley didn't get on at all for a finish so guess it bounces both ways!

Post edited by theVersatile on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Make no mistake, Leinster were absolutely awful there.

Given that, it really hammers home that when this fixture is reffed with an ounce of integrity, there's only one outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭crusd

Really good game. Munster left a bit behind but this is now a real competitive rivalry once more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Almost word for word what I was about to post.

V enjoyable watch that. And I fcuking love that we kept trying to win it at the end.

Conan outstanding and well deserved MOTM.

Irish rugby's in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Munster had loads of the ball just not able to break down the Leinster defence sounds familiar

Are we still really giving out about Frank after all this time?

You also make it sound like that was a clear cut dominant win 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Munster

Very disappointed in that, 3 occasions we had to score a try and completely fluffed it, also WTF is going on with our scrum? Not as bad as I thought it would be I'll admit though

Ireland are looking much better after the embarrassment against NZ a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭LostArt

Happy to win it but Leinster were very sloppy and stupid at times tonight. Defence in the 22 was excellent tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is true, something JVG and AF never would have done

It'll stand to the youngsters to be shown such trust

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

Munster while didn’t play at their best lost by only 5 points, they deserve a lot of credit given the strength of that Leinster team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Very enjoyable game. Probably the most closely contested regular season game at the Aviva in an age. Yes there were a lot of errors, but that was a very physical game. Leinster deserved winners, but Munster with a deserved LBP IMO.

Roll on TP on St Stephens Day. Should be another cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great game. Munster started like a house on fire. Cracking try and some lovely shape early doors in their attack. The ball held up over the line was a big moment. Leinster (and Munster’s defence aside from the Daly and Zebo missed tackles on Larmour) was great. Munster only managed to score 6 points in the last 65mins.

McCarthy and Beirne were superb going the 80 and both having huge moments up to the final whistle. McCarthy had some dominant carries and tackles and took a lot of lineout ball. Beirne as always a turnover threat at almost every breakdown. Great turnover in the last minute to make sure Munster deservedly got something out of the game. Both had a couple of errors but as did most players out there tonight.

Coombes and JOB had poor games. Lots of dropped ball and Coombes never got a lot of go forward. Keenan struggled too. Frawley and Crowley both went well getting their back lines going at stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yet another commanding performance by Crowley. Ahern as a third jumper in the lineout is a cheat code.

Congratulations to Leinster. Frawley, McCarthy and Conan all had great games and the defense won the day.

If you'd given me 4-1 before the game I.... wouldn't have taken it.... but not devastated to take it now all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know, lots of handling errors & Munster lost but that was still a great game. One of the best InterPros between us in recent years.

A few players on both teams will be disappointed with their handling, their tackling and giving away STUPID penalties

For those that were disappointed in not seeing Edogbo, they'll have been delighted to see Gleeson.

From an Ireland perspective I thought fellas like Henshaw, Furlong, Ringrose (I think two if not three of our clean breaks came off his missed tackles), Coombes, JOB didn't cover themselves in glory. The first two you could make a good case now that others should be given a shot at the green jersey, Henshaw certainly.

Ryan didn't play particularly bad but I thought the other three second rows outperformed him, Kleyn was the pick of the bunch for me. Doris and Conan were the winning of it in the pack, wily operators.

Keenan made some uncharacteristic errors and some tidy stuff. People will focus on the missed scramble tackle but Zebo had a fine game in attack when he stepped in, best performance from him for us in a while.

Crowley and Frawley both did well, both excellent off the tee.... JGP mixed some good work (edit: and serious wheels for the try, forgot to say that) with a pass to touch and some other poor stuff. Both Munster 9s went well, Murray had two great breaks.

Was an error strewn game all round but high octane, good viewing for the neutral you'd think Leinster punished our errors and our lack of invention at the end where it was one-out runners was never going to do it, wonder was it tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Feel like Leinster could have used their bench forwards sooner. The whole point of the 6-2 split is for you to bring them on for big impact.

Thought Joe McCarthy had another strong game. Won so many contacts and was a big threat on both sides of the ball.

Pretty accurate account of the game & players there @leakyboots

• Subscribers Posts: 41,148 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tom Ahern was excellent at 6. Best Munster back row in my opinion, and possibly Munster player of the game. He's a real option now in that position going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The on paper strength of the Leinster team is mostly negated by the lack of game time the Irish lads have had in the Leinster system since being back in Leinster camp. For most that was their first or second game, which is an excuse for some of the many Leinster mistakes.

That was much needed intense together for that Leinster side as they prepare for LAR. Pity not to get the bonus but at the same time it could have been worse.

Sheehan and Barron were both great, meant to say also.

Hodnett was my player of our back row, he was immense

• Advertisement

Funny how in a game that physical there wasn't a single high tackle.

A game to mark down for the "games gone soft" brigade next time they're giving out about tackle heights.

Advertisement