Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most dramatic thing that has happened in your life?

Options
  • 11-11-2023 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Crazy storylines on Eastenders and Coronation Street are very dramatic and seem unbelievable, but probably happen every day.

Mine was a car crashing through traffic lights and hitting a wall about 100 yards in front of me. Not breaking a red light, literally milling the traffic light out of it. It was around 2am and he was drunk. Luckily nobody was seriously injured, though the driver was fairly hurt. Never found out what happened him in the end.

What is the most dramatic thing that has happened in your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ex GF crashing a car deliberately with me in it! Crazy, crazy bitch.

On a motorway, at motorway speeds. Into the central barrier, spun across all 3 lanes and hit barrier on other side. Neither of us hurt, I have no idea how. Never saw her again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Sibling making elderly dad crash his car. with broken rear axel, amazingly repaired by independent soutside dublin garage. yes i have pictures but won't post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Hoboo

My girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

possibly bpd, awful disorder!

probably mag 6 quake, middle of the night, full of hooch = awful hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

* walking down the road, suddenly turns around...

"...what the ? I could have sworn someone just called my name...

Oh never mind, it's probably just my imagination playing tricks on me ..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ottolwinner

Was in Argentina at the time of their economic collapse in 2001. Wasn’t watching what was going on in any news and ended up looking for shelter from all the rioting when the run was on banks and the police took a heavy hand.

when I returned I was leaving dublin airport and armed Garda stopped the car collecting me. Searched the car and all my belongings because of my South American travel, they had known where I’d be which was impressive. I wasn’t doing anything sinister.

few other dramatic events along life’s journey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,663 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Avoiding being in the WTC on 911 . Only for the fore man getting lucky on Sunday night and missing work on Monday, I and a few other lads would have been there.

Was involved in a hit and run.

Walking home on a dark winters night, started to cross the road I could see a car's headlights in the distance but it was quite far away so I should have had plenty of time to cross.

Once I was about half way across the road I realised that this car was approaching at a much faster pace than the average car and didn't seem to be slowing down either. I managed to get almost to the other side before the car hit me.

Everything went blurry for a second and then I found myself looking up at the stars in the sky. I was trying to process what had just happened in my mind. The weird thing was, my body had braced itself for the onset of pain but I wasn't feeling any.

I managed to get up and felt some pain but only in my ankle, which wasn't that bad, kind of like a dead leg but in my ankle. A more painful than rolling your ankle but not fractured or broken bone level of pain so I was able to limp over and prop myself up against a nearby garden wall.

It was only then that I realised where I had landed. The reason I wasn't feeling a lot of pain was that I had landed right smack bang in the middle of one of those small rectangle shaped patches of grass outside someone's house. You know those types of houses where there is the main road, then a small patch of grass, then the footpath and finally the houses front garden.

Basically what happened was just before the car hit me I had started to turn towards the with my hands outstretched in some sort of effort to stop it, the cars bumper had struck me just above the ankle causing me to do a forwards flip up and over the car somehow without striking the windscreen and then on to my final resting place on the small rectangle of grass.

Walked away, well limped away, pretty much unscathed from the incident, although my ankle was about twice the size for about a week or so, blue and purple, finally ending with that horrible looking black and yellow bruising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Signing up to boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Forgetting the anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fallout2022

After that you would have cause for reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Being born and being a twin. So sharing the same womb. Very **** dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Sounds like the kind of girl that would toss your salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

After reading that reminded me of an incident leaving a disco outside Dundalk . Crowd waiting outside when the buses arrived on the far side of the road . Cue everyone crossing the road , but I had looked and seen a car at speed approaching and grabbed my friend . There was a big strong girl right beside me who bore the brunt and spun upside down . Another few got whacked with side panels .She put some dent in the front of the car , but only suffered a broken arm . I’d say she was sore though .

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Shoog

Nearly drowning in the Bay of Bengal India when the tide turned and rip tides pulled me out of my depth, was severely weakened with dysentery at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had a 50 foot tree collapse on a van right behind me in a storm a few years back while stuck in traffic on a country road. The cab section was badly crushed in and the driver looked injured.

3 minutes before this, I saw the van pull out of a side road & follow me. If I was 5 seconds later, the van would have pulled out ahead of me and the tree would have hit my car possibly killing me if it landed in the wrong place.

I also nearly had a head on collision with a black Punto going the wrong way around a roundabout (on the 2 dundrum roundabouts under the M50) in 2004. Young female driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've had some bad luck with South African ATMs.

First time using one in a petrol station, I decide to withdraw 6000 ZAR (which is about 300 euro). Unlucky for me, the machine decided to spit out the money in 50 notes. Extremely slowly.

KACHUNK - 50 note appears

Waits a moment

KACHUNK - 50 note appears

Waits a moment

Imagine doing that 120 times in a semi remote petrol station in South Africa with everyone else growing more and more interested in what's happening over in your direction with every KACHUNK.

Towards the end all my pockets were completely stuffed with notes and I'd a gang of local people around me wondering if the ATM was broken and giving out free money. I exited the place very quickly, I'm sure with notes coming out of my pockets and floating behind me in the air like some kind of cartoon character shouting 'drive!' 'drive!' to my partner who hadn't a notion why I looked so frantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Danny healy ray

getting elected to the dail twice

Reported it but never heard anything back, to be honest though I didn't have much of a description for them, other than the type of car and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Having read the OP a few car related ones come back to my mind.

One time I was driving on a busy road, with a multiple lanes, at night and a fella decided to dart out in front of my car. I obviously hit the brakes but still hit him, luckily I managed to just clip his leg and he was pretty much ok.

Waited for the guards and they said they had seen him hanging around and he had a few drinks on himself, was an accident waiting to happen.

Another time, again at night, I was driving towards Dublin city centre and I saw a person stagger out onto the road ahead of me. The car in front of me smashed into him.

Felt like it happened in slow motion, saw what was going to happen in a split second and could do nothing about it.

A few drivers waited around for the guards. I ended up being called to give a statement about the accident a few days later.

Once I smashed into a wall myself after skidding on some wet leaves going around a bend, I was driving my gf at the times car and it didn’t have the same handling capabilities of my own…yeah I’ll stick to that excuse!

The side of the car was in bits but luckily I had no serious injuries myself

Car dramas are enough for now

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

When I was young on a family visit in London . At a train station a woman picked me up when my mother's back was turned and tried to run away with me. My aunt shouted and the woman dropped me.

So they tell me anyway.

Wonder where I would have ended up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

Several years ago a client had a heart attack while I was working for them, I watched them die and then performed CPR. Back then mouth to mouth was required, blowing into a dead body is an experience not for the faint hearted, like a balloon the air comes straight back at you.

When emergency services arrived they did rescutate them, but not enough to be compis mentis and they died a few months later.

To my regret I didn't do enough, but know enough now to do better if it ever happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did she get a puncture?

Frantic rush for emergency tyre repair kit patch?

• Advertisement

• I wouldn’t know where to start, life has sent enough drama my way. As a newbie hobby pilot, being caught in a very abrupt downdraft, hitting my head off aircraft canopy and having all my maps, navigational notes etc tossed into rear seat. I deal with it calmly and with due procedure.

I’ve been in sone interesting aircraft situations, having spent plenty of journeys pre 9/11 in aircraft cockpits, and on an overnight cargo flight noticed fuel cap had fallen off wing, which was not visible to pilot. We had to make an emergency landing back at departure airport. On the previous leg of the flight the cargo door came open during take-off so had to abort.

Advertisement