Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

One thing that always puzzled me was the time taken to make the 911 call. Plenty of time to get their stories straight and stage the crime scene. Did Molly lies strectch to pulling the wool over her fathers eyes so much so that he would do anything to stop her going to jail. Did he take shared responsibility of the murder to protect his daughter from taking the wrap. Trouble was, they were in so deep with the lie, they had to keep the charade going for the plea deal trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't think she pulled the wool over his eyes. I reckon he was drawing on his experience as an FBI agent here. Those guys have likely seen and done all sorts of dodgy things over the years. He probably saw Jason in the same light as he would a black man or a homeless vagrant. Somebody with little social value who could be struck down with few consequences. It turns out he wasn't that far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

But, it wasn’t just Molly and the father involved, the extended Martens family was involved. Did you not read of the role played by Bobby Martens as well ?

Anyway , I’ll give them one thing, they did a top class job of blackening the name of Jason Corbett.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tom claimed he hated Jason, but was that hate based off the lies and narrative Molly fed him about Jason being this awful person. Unfortunately we'll probably never know, but given what I've read, I don't think it would be wrong to suggest that she was the type of person to have her father wrapped around her little finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Tork

I've read that he disliked him from the start. That will only have gotten worse once Molly started telling lies. I get the impression that the Martens weren't on the same wavelength as the Corbetts and looked down on them. Something tells me nobody would've been good enough for his princess though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

If he was going to take the blame then just take the blame

This was planned, with her involved they were more likely to get away with it and they have

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You quoted the whole thing but the first line. Why did you leave out the first line?

Strange. Anyway here it is.

If I am the sentencing Judge looking at the independent facts and information that has so far being put forth.

Also it was in response to this post.

The sentencing Judge in mitigation gave them effectively only 7 more months in custody.

So to answer your question, do I stand over my opinion of how the Judge was gauging the sentencing hearing?

Well yeah, clearly. The sentencing verifies that opinion, would be rather odd if I didn't stand over it, wouldn't it?

Where is your evidence Jason had decided to travel back to Ireland with the kids the day after?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, I see that now… “if I am the sentencing judge.” Predictable alright. It’s you who think the children are liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Advertisement

I answered your question again in good faith, but again you failed to answer mine.

So to answer your question, do I stand over my opinion of how the Judge was gauging the sentencing hearing?

Well yeah, clearly. The sentencing verifies that opinion, would be rather odd if I didn't stand over it, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

According to Jason’s sister Tracy (and I see no reason to disbelieve her) there were searches on Jason’s computer for flights to Ireland and a reminder to himself to book the tickets. The children also said they’d sat on the couch beside him in the days before he died and saw that he was looking at flights.

He had also written Tracy an email in which he told her he was bringing the children home for good without Molly. If I remember correctly his plan was to get the children home first and then return to the States to settle his affairs there.

Suitcases packed with the children’s clothes were found in Jason’s home suggesting he was on the verge of coming home.

Tracy has said a lot of things in her books, but that doesn't equate to tangible tested evidence. Basically and I am quoting Ralf Reigel, Irish Independent Journalist who co authored one of her books.

MURDERED Irish businessman Jason Corbett had a bag packed at his North Carolina home and was preparing to take his two children back to Ireland when he was beaten to death in his sleep by his American wife and her father.

The bag – which contained clothing for his children, Jack and Sarah – had mysteriously vanished from the murder scene when Davidson County Sheriff Department officers arrived at Mr Corbett’s home in the early hours of August 2, 2015.

The most obvious question would be to an independent observer how would she know? She lived 3 and a half thousand miles away?

Anyway, Tracy was afforded the opportunity to testify in the first trial in front of the Judge under oath.

The only thing she could offer about Jason's desire to move back Ireland was a conversation in the summer of 2014 where Jason said he would like to back to Ireland before Jack started secondary school. Jack was 9.

Outside the presence of the jury, Lynch testified that Jason had expressed to her he wanted to go back to Ireland.

Ms Lynch added: “He had good friends there (in Ireland) and appreciated them. He planned to go back there before Jack started secondary school.”

But David Freedman, Martens’ attorney, got her to acknowledge on cross-examination that Jason had not made any plane reservations or made any other arrangements to return to Ireland on a permanent basis.

What’s your opinion/belief: you answered nothing. You’re constantly using deflection and pushing it back on the judge. Do “you” think the children told the truth two days ago? If you can’t give a yes or a no, we will infer it is a no, and you are labeling them liars.

It's your 3rd time asking this question.

I have already answered it twice.

Again you have failed to answer one of mine.

So I will have to leave it there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Why do you bother entertaining that clown. He is seeking attention through online arguments which is a sad byproduct of having an unfulfilling life. Way too much time on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well as you seem to know, please explain to us exactly what happened and why it happened.

A credible explanation that makes sense - as to why a wife and father in law ended up that night beating a relative to death.

Something happened, some matter must have provoked an escalation.

So please tell us?

So you are thinking that Molly married Jason Corbett, was very fond of her step children etc. But that she and her father and other Martens then just decided to beat the chap to death. What was in it for them?

Come now, a plausible reason please.

Two people beat a man mercilessly until he was dead....and then some

And then told lie after lie to try justfy why they did what they did.

You need to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Even the judge said Molly had a "deranged entitlement to the children".

• Advertisement

Look if you're going to engage in a discussion and call out others who post sensible queries.. you've got to come up with better that this wishy washy tabloid stuff.

Again. WHY did these two people beat a man mercilessly until he was dead????????

If you don't know the answer, fair enough. Just say so.

I don't know and given that I don't, I'm not prepared to jump to some conclusion that they're both evil mad psychopaths.

they were trying to stop him taking the kids back to ireland

She was trying to concoct a domestic abuse scenario, when that failed, this is the result

i mean have you been paying any attention to the case at all

not a shred of remorse

they attacked him while he was asleep in bed

they tried to both concoct and hide evidence and lie

no evidence of any kind of fight from Jason.

Only Molly and Tom truly know. It’s inside their heads, not ours. No idea why you wanting to use the “why” as almost a way to lessen/diminish the barbarity of what they did.

And you are using it. Not sure on you, but likely you’re also wanting to believe the sickening lies they told to sully Jason’s character. To make him out to be an abuser and that this somehow led Molly “have” to act.

we know one poster absolutely thinks the killing was justified, albeit he tries to hide this.

My view is that she did it to end his life because she is a horrible person. End his life, make it out to be a domestic that he started, then sully his name to garner sympathy and then get off with the crime, and gain custody to the children. It’s what most educated folks would believe.

there was no escalation… she planned it that evening. Not a scratch on her or Tom

it was premeditated…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

There seems to little doubt about the fact that Molly wanted the step children.

I didn’t say that she was very fond of them, she doesn’t seem capable of loving anyone except herself.

There is little doubt that Corbett was beaten to death in his own bed. You ask what did Martens got out of it ?

Obviously murder is often driven by hatred and a obsession( by the murderer ) to get their own way .

in this case Molly seems to have been very unstable and her father believed her lies, I expect her father knows better now,

there was no eye contact between the father and daughter when they were leaving court.

There is little doubt that Corbett was beaten to death in his own bed

The prosecution alleged that Jason was strangling Molly out of bed when Tom beat him to death.

Also Jason's body was found on the floor with blood stains on the walls and in the bathroom.

Jason was 19 stone, so I doubt they moved his body around to do all that.

where do you get that from? There were no marks which would have been present if he had been doing that

2 people could easily move his body, they were both covered in blood

"Thomas opened the door to Jason and Molly's bedroom and observed Jason, whose back was to Thomas, with his hands around Molly's throat.

"Thomas told Jason to let her go and Jason moved his position to behind Molly, continuing to choke her.

"Jason told Thomas that he would kill her and began dragging her down the hallway toward the bathroom.

That is the accepted narrative of the plea deal offered by the prosecution.

The prosecution alleged that Molly had orchestrated the 'choking' so her father and mother would be witness to domestic abuse and she would get the children.

He said Martens Corbett, realising that the clock was running out on her time to get custody of the children, manufactured a situation in which she would have witnesses in the house to an episode of domestic violence, which would lead to a court awarding her custody of the children.

Those witnesses were to be Martens and his wife Sharon. But he said the situation developed far beyond that and led to the killing of Mr Corbett.

And no those 2 people could not easily move an 19 stone lifeless body around.

Molly Martens herself could post here that she deliberately murdered Jason and that she lied nd lied and lied to get away with it, and still Boggles would argue against it, and her......

Exact same weird defending of Markle, no matter what Markle did.......

• Advertisement

He said that from “day one” his office had been looking at voluntary manslaughter in the case. His office had initially indicted the defendants for voluntary manslaughter in addition to second degree murder. He said his office backed off the manslaughter charge when it went forward on the basis of second degree murder, as it could not pursue both at the time.

“But there has been a considerable opinion within my office that voluntary manslaughter was an acceptable disposition from day one.”

Interesting.

Advertisement