Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

People don't respect the distance or as you say prepare properly. Some participants probably thought a marathon is a doddle don't put the long runs in and overestimate their own fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

is there any stats on how successful the lottery was last year? I've done DCM a few times but I decided not to enter this year. I know the lottery is open on the 2nd for next year but I'm curious how subscribed it was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The amount of 2022 half zips being discarded in the start waves was bizarre. Counted about 30 in wave 2

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

That is very odd. I just assumed everyone did the hoodie and tracksuit bottoms from Pennys or something very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No idea what you mean by 'success' in this context.

I entered the two lotteries last year and failed to get an entry. I was very disappointed and still am after seeing yesterday and the amount of no-shows. Ended up doing a marathon abroad instead. Really wanted to do Dublin again, having done it several years ago.

The fee to enter the lottery this year is also non-refundable if unsuccessful. I think it was refunded last year.

Post edited by yosser hughes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭FazyLucker

One reason for no shows is people want to be guaranteed entry next year. To me, if you didn't at least start this year you have no entitlement to a place next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Personally I think they need to scrap the guaranteed entry. There's no reason for it. Either go lotto or dont

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭FazyLucker

A number of reasons

1. Injuries, people trying to get around. Had this a good few years ago myself. It was awful. Never again.

2. The "ah sure I'll get around, the crowd and adrenaline will help" people who don't realise just how far it is.

3. Those who are sick coming in to the race. Has happened me too albeit not in a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Guaranteed entry option for those who actually cross the line should remain. They don't all take up that option

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭tandcapply

Was pacing a friend which dropped me at some point so ended up slowing the pace down earlier than planned at 25k mark as wasn't chasing a PB, only to nearly blow up later on and really shuffle using will power mostly for the last 8k.

Biblical rain at that stage didn't help but managed to do a good time of sub 3:45.

Crowd support was a big factor in me not stopping at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

What is the average no show / DNF rate for a big city marathon anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Not surprised. They were of poor quality and design imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I fell into the 3rd category when running new york a few years ago, got the winter vomiting bug the weekend before, but the hotel, flights and race was paid for so felt I had to go. Of course in hindsight I'd never do that again.

We can be a stubborn lot, even when sick or injured we still go out, I know of one runner on Sunday who did the marathon while waiting for the results of a MRI!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I get that. They could mix it up a bit though to make each year stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Re: the entry for next year for those who ran this year. I can't remember whether you wait for an email with instructions or look for a link on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yeah, not sure I've ever worn mine since. Wouldn't throw it away though.

Same with the 2018 one, was awful looking I thought.

My 2017 one is a treasured possession, wore that one a lot.

I still think that's wrong. It's closing it as an option to loads of others. None of us have a right to enter it next year imo

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

I think the people who do it every year have made it the event it is, I'd have no problem with the annual or even this years first timers getting guaranteed a place.

But if you registered, and didn't start you have no entitlement to a guaranteed place. I guess paradoxically they are "cheaper" for the organisers in that they are pure profit (i.e. they don't turn up!).

But they still had to plan for them being there one way or other, and they deny people who would run a place. You should be able to transfer up to the week of the event in my opinion. They aren't something which can be sold for a profit so its not like a black market exists for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

And those of us who had a 4.30am wake up call from the baby and started out on the back foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Totally agree. You shouldn't be guaranteed an entry for the following year, just because you had an entry for the current year. You should at the very least have started the marathon, whatever about actually finishing it. I appreciate people get injured, things happen and can't make it on the day, but that's life.

When you look at the fact that nearly a third of the total field didn't run it, that's a kick in the teeth to those that were looking to run and didn't get a number in the lottery. I'd also like to know how many of those no-shows were women, given they gave woman a guaranteed entry to the marathon that had run the half marathon. If they hadn't been training for a marathon by the time of the half, doubtful they were ready to run a full.

I had an entry for this year, but gave it back, as had I had run Dublin 2022 and then London 2023 and didn't have the motivation to do a 3rd marathon in 12 months, and was glad I didn't do it. The thing that has really stuck in my throat was the €30 "admin" fee Dublin marathon charged to hand back my number. Absolutely disgraceful money grab by them. And then they sell it on again at full price, creaming it at both ends. So not really enamoured with the Dublin marathon at the moment.

They need to implement a transfer system for a small admin fee (not €30!) to be able to either transfer your number or hand it back. They have created a rod for their own back by not having one. Look at the Half marathon (National Championships), there were so many people running under other peoples numbers, they couldn't award the prizes immediately, they had to go back and re-check everything. And I bet there were loads of people running under other peoples numbers on Sunday too.

Don't think I will bother again with Dublin for a few years, until they sort themselves out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The guaranteed entry for women for DCM based on them running the half is for next year's marathon - not this year's marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I believe, its for next years marathon women who ran the half marathon are guaranteed entry, it wasn't this year. Its probably too much hassle to just guarantee people who started the marathon places, they would get a flood of doctor notes and complaints. Remember there was a good few days last year where anyone could just log in and register.

I don't agree with this, I have done the last 4 now and would be fairly pissed off if I didn't get a place next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭sk8board

This makes sense, only about 30% of runners yesterday were women (5k from 16k).

as for the guaranteed entry for next year, they’ve tried to change that before and there was war from the many thousands of regulars, myself included - I think guaranteed entry is fair enough; one suggestion might be to upload your finishing certificate from this year when applying for next year.

I’m not sure there’s as many people as you might think paying the €110 just to keep their place for the following year - €220 is a very expensive marathon :)

Also worth remembering that every marathon has 10-15% no shows and DNS/F.

didn’t they open a transfer window back in July for this years marathon?

A 27% no-show rate is extremely high for sure (assuming they actually sold out the 22.5k places).

had a great run yesterday, my best at DCM, and got in before the downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Maybe I’m in the minority but I just don’t get some of the sentiment in this thread. If you ran the marathon this weekend, with the level of support and good feeling etc, and no matter what your finishing time, I think you need to take a look at yourself if the first thing you want to do a few days later is complain.

No problem with constructive criticism, framed in the right way and delivered to people who can effect change, ie the organisers, not a message board, but just coming on and speaking negatively is beyond me and surely a waste of energy. I thought most people would still be basking in that beautiful elation today.

Also, yes, I’m self aware to know that I’m shouting into the void giving out about people complaining on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone who wanted to run under the name they could have. There was a window where anyone could have entered after the lottery and it was open for 24 hours before the numbers sold out but I agree the transfer window should be available until 1st of October at least. They could even do it at the expo they really wanted to. Have a desk and you queue up. 2 people manning it and charge €20 a head. You’re in wave 3/4 unless you’ve proof you can move up

I say it every year. There are always moaners.

And the great thing about DCM is they are always crying out for volunteers.

So all the people that moan about how they should do this or that, I'd assume they'll volunteer next year and try have an input

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

With respect to entry for next year, to me it should be straightforward.

1. All Clubs automatically get a certain number of entries based on their size. Any unused to be put back in by a certain date. Come down hard on clubs not using their allocation or returning unused.
    2. All starters given first preference for next year.
    3. Open a transfer portal up until Sept 1st. €20 admin fee.
    4. Anyone who did the right thing and transferred in the portal, is considered as a preference for the following year.
    5. Anyone who misses the transfer portal deadline and doesn't start, is taken off the preference list.
    6. Open a dropout Portal from Sept 1st to Early October. €20 admin fee.
    7. Anyone who uses the dropout portal to give up their number, is considered for the following year. Anyone who doesnt, loses their preference for following year.
    8. Last minute portal, a 2-3 day portal that opens 2 weeks before marathon. Increased price to cover admin.

I know it seems like a lot of portals, but technically speaking each one of those are in sequence and can piggyback off each other, from a technical point of view. Its 2023, it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Butterbeans

20%. Dublin this year was over 25%.

22,500 capacity in 2023 - 16,347 finishers

20,000 capacity in 2018 - 16,251 finishers

• Advertisement

Emails are in there, suppose I have no choice but to sign up, i love the pain too much.

Advertisement