Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 realignment at Milltown.

Options
  • 21-02-2013 9:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi peeps.

I see Wills are doing the work on this bit of minor realingment but why have they not started more south towards Milltown where the road is worse imo and those bloody railway tracks would shake the teeth out of your head.

Better still why didnt they bypass that kip Milltown, it's more like downtown Beirut in terms of road surface.

I presume lack of funding answers both questions but you would imagine it wouldn't cost that much more.

Discuss.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I see Wills are doing the work on this bit of minor realingment but why have they not started more south towards Milltown where the road is worse imo and those bloody railway tracks would shake the teeth out of your head.

Better still why didnt they bypass that kip Milltown, it's more like downtown Beirut in terms of road surface.

I presume lack of funding answers both questions but you would imagine it wouldn't cost that much more.

Discuss.

I suggest you take a look at the other N17 threads for more information as it's been done to death in a few threads.

The works north of milltown are to straighten the stretch of road where the 4 students were killed a few years ago.

As for milltown etc, that will be bypassed if/when Tuam-Claremorris ever gets going.

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

Fair enough I could not see anything about it in other threads as they are enormous. I didnt want to take the other thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Resurrecting an old thread here rather than posting in the minor schemes thread where it might get lost. Archaeological consultants were appointed yesterday for the Milltown to Gortnagunned scheme. Source: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/irish-archaeological-consultancy-ltd_appointment-archaeologicalconsultants-ugcPost-7123220587191103488-q9_e

IAC Archaeology are delighted to announce that we have been appointed by Transport Infrastructure Ireland and Galway County Council as Archaeological Consultants for the N17 Milltown to Gortnagunned Road Scheme in Co. Galway. Our successful quality-based tender proposal was selected to provide Stages 1-4 excavation and post-excavation services and act as Project Supervisor for Construction Stage (PSCS). Pre-construction works will include archaeological geophysical and architectural heritage surveys, test excavation, excavation and post-excavation analyses, reporting, dissemination and archiving. We hope to commence onsite work on this project in November. Watch our social media spaces for updates on our progress and interesting findings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What's involved in that scheme? Will it be offline or online and how long is it?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Proof if any were needed that this scheme needs to be done as soon as possible.

A three-vehicle crash killed one person and seriously injured another on the section of road that's due to be upgraded.

Hope this is ok but bumping this thread with ELCAT2009's post in the minor schemes thread. Progress is painfully slow on this, it seems construction is probably 2 years away. It's very frustrating that even these small uncontroversial projects take ages to come to fruition.

Notice to enter issued to land owners on the N17 Milltown to Gortnagunnad scheme with date of April 29th 2024. Indication is that site clearance, fencing and service diversion works will take place in Autumn 2024. Followed by demolition of structures. Main contract works to be tendered by Q2 2025.

So despite Notice of entry, main contract works still over a year away it seems. Progress all the same albeit slow!

Advertisement