Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N26 Ballina Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Not an observation on the need for the bypass itself but why is there an N26? Seems to be a bit of a pointless use of a national primary when a secondary would be adequate. Is there any reason for the primary designation?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Imeacht gan teacht ort

It used to be a secondary road, the N57 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Wikipedia says N26 is Mayo’s second busiest road after N5, with AADT around 10,000. It was previously the N57.

I don't think it should have been upgraded to a primary just due to traffic volumes, but it may have been done in order to push it up the funding list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Sorry I'm sure people will think I'm just negative about roads etc, but genuinely I've never seen significant traffic in Ballina, despite having been through the town god knows how many times at rush hour. Plenty locals have also told me about traffic but I've never been delayed by more than a couple of minutes. The most I've seen is a few minutes delay on the Crossmolina/N59 road or on the N26, both towards the crossroads/town. Google Maps traffic doesn't really show much either.

Anybody care to enlighten me? Could a proper development plan to the South-West of the town (incorporating a distributor road) be better bang for buck than a bypass like this one?

And also in the Mayo area, getting between the N26 and N17 has always been my biggest problem. What I wouldn't give for a road upgrade there!

I'm all ears if someone can clue me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think a bypass makes sense but I'd also say there are higher priority bypasses needed elsewhere. This is probably one of the cheapest bypasses left, its only 2 - 2.5km, through fields, no major structures. When thinking of bang for your buck, bear in mind that it's not going to require many bucks.

I don't understand your reference to a distributor road, I don't see where you would build a distributor road without first building this bypass. The bypass will have an intermediate junction and link to a road which seems to be called The Commons, according to Google Maps. Presumably the plan would be to upgrade this road and then build a new road running north to open up those lands for development. Further development with a distributor road dumping all traffic onto the existing N59 isn't good long term planning.

• Advertisement

Sorry yes with "distributor road" I simply meant creation of an overall plan for expansion south-west of the town, with roughly this bypass route as the "expansion" boundary makes some sense. And obviously a distributor road would be needed for/within that area. But the town doesn't strike me as needing an urban expansion project any more than it does a bypass.

I take your point regarding the cheapness of the build, and that's fair enough. I just never saw any of the famous gridlock, no matter how often I'm told about it (and I honestly have been told often enough, believe it or not!). Within the town, roads-wise I've always assumed that the greatest "bypass" need was East-West linkage removing dependence on the N59 (Crossmolina to Bonniconlon).

I was hoping a local might be able to give more context. As I say, I've been through a lot of times at rush hour and never seen it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Just regarding the upgrade of the N26 from Ballina to Foxford, it appears this is now a 'live' project as far as TII are concerned.

According to Mayo Co Co this week, consultant procurement is ongoing for N26 Mount Falcon to Foxford scheme for the various phases of scheme delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bmomoran

error

Qrfgt

National Primary routes are routes between the main centres in the country of urban population and to/from ports. 

National Secondary Routes generally run between centres of lesser population but still important towns, many of which are tourist routes.

Ballina is the 4th largest urban centre in the west of Ireland ( after Galway, Sligo and Castlebar).

Aside from this, daily AADT of around 10,000.

On the basis of the above national primary route designation seems appropriate.

If my memory serves me correctly, initially the N5 terminated at Castlebar but political interference resulted in Westport being designated the new termination point.

Political decision making has also resulted in a new over spec-ed dual carriageway being built into Westport while at the same time Ballina is getting crumbs from the table with Cloongullane bridge and promises of online realignment of N26.

Just leaving this here as there is no dedicated N26 thread.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Westernview

Good to see the preferred route emerging. Still a long way to go but at least things are moving now.

This new road will end at the N26. Are there any plans at all to continue on and cross the river and connect the N26 to the Sligo road?

N26 Ballina Bypass Phase 1 - Preferred Option Corridor consultation open;

They should really just extend the route by another 400 metres through an empty field to make a more direct link to the Killala Road. As it stands, if you're going from the Foxford Road to the Killala Road, you will still travel through the town even when the bypass is open.

That was my first thought too. I see there is also a relatively modern road further north of that again, although it doesn't currently align with a potential new road. The southern-most 150m or so of that road could be shifted further west though and you'd have a full bypass along the western fringe of the town.

The route seems to cross the railway.

Any idea how this would happen ?

A level crossing would not be good solution I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Usually the road will go over the railway. Iarnród Éireann tell the designers what they need in terms of clearance and space for future works, and the bridge is included in the road project.

Level crossings are slowly being removed across the whole rail network; nobody will add a new one.

I agree. It seems that field may have been protected for a ring road in future anyway so why not include it now.

At the other end it seems to run into the Hollister property. Is there room there to allow for a possible roundabout and direct link to a bypass on the eastern side of Ballina? Having to go back on to the N26 to link the bypasses would be undesirable I'd imagine.

Dara Calleary has either been misquoted, or misspoke, or he is completely insane. The project hasn't even gone to Bord Pleanala yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

The bike salesman is further muddying the waters here. Talking down the N17 yet again and saying he wants to prioritise the Ballina orbital route, but it's not clear if he means the N26/N59 link now in planning, or a full orbital route which would include new bridges over the Moy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some grade A tripe coming out of his mouth there. He's turned into a West on Track lobbyist now.

If MM + LV had any sort of backbone they should have split the Dept of Transport into 2 and let a FF/FG Minister manage roads, aviation and shipping. Let ER take PT + AT and let him put all his resources into advancing those areas. Split capital funding 2:1 between PT + new roads as ER wanted, but be clear that every last euro spent on PT + AT as part of a road project comes out of those respective budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I suspect the Greens wouldn't have accepted this. Ryan wanted the entire transport department for a reason.

And Energy. There was very clear logic to it, from their perspective.

I would think he means the N26/N59. A continuation of it across the Moy won't happen for a long time.

Councillors in Ballina are looking to get a link from the proposed bypass to the Killala road. Not sure what line exactly it would take.

Seems like a sensible idea but the council are saying they haven't the resources to progress it.

https://westernpeople.ie/2023/10/19/council-has-no-capacity-to-develop-link-road-to-bypass-busy-ballina-stretch/

It's a great idea, it would only be 450 metres of road across an empty field.

To be honest I'm not sure how effective the N26/N59 link will be as a bypass without a link to the Killala road. I don't know Ballina that well, but I'd imagine there's quite a lot of traffic between the Killala road and the N26 that currently goes through town.

I think it needs that extension as well. From speaking to people as things stand I don't think there are many hold ups when travelling from Crossmolina road to the Foxford road - just a slight delay at the lights at the font. The Killala road is quite busy at times and it would be good to take a lot of that traffic out of town.

There's already a mini ring road between the Killala road and McDermott Street. I'm not sure when it was built (maybe the late 90s?) but it looks to be of a high standard, with wide lanes and a footpath on both sides.

Once the N26/N59 link is done there would just be a short missing link between McDermott St and the N59.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Healy92

i dont understand the route this extension would take. The Killala road is very built up out as far as coca cola.

There is a route already built, however, it's very residential with the Rockwell estate and St Mary's school built onto it.

Advertisement