Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switching from Qashqai to Nissan Leaf 192 Sv Premium 40kw

Options
  • 19-10-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Looking at moving from a 161 Nissan qashqai to a Nissan leaf 192. It has 100k kms on it. Fully charged states 230km on dash. Any opinions on this possible upgrade, anything I need to look out for. Costing me 3.5k to change.

Thanks

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Hold on to what you have....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭pete6296

Ok, can you tell me why you think I should onto qashqai

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Going up 3 years from an old skool combustion engine car to a similar size EV for just €3.5k presumably from a dealer with warranty sounds like a nice deal to me 😁

You'll save a fortune in cost to own it, but if you do a lot of long distance driving, the Leaf is not the best option out there for that sort of budget as it has a now obsolete fast charging system. Still usable, but not future proof

Travel 70km return to work and come up to a 192 from a 161. Main dealer with a 1 year warranty. Feels like a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Sounds like an easy change if you don't travel long distances. Could also look at the larger battery one (62kWh) if you get a good deal on a 192 or 201. They are pretty reliable but you might run Leafspy on it to see the battery health with that kind of kilometrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good deal, I would not hesitate. You will love the move to fully electric, proper cars finally with no funny smells!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was going to post this too, dealer may have one so no harm in asking

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Leaf 62kWh didn't launch until 2021 iirc, so that would cost him an awful lot more than €3k to change. Also, why spend extra money on extra range that you will never need? Pointless. And an EV beginner's mistake I see happening all around me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..because there's no harm in asking, this dealer is offering a good deal on a 40kWh Leaf so could be a bargain deal with a 62kWh

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I suppose no harm in asking. But unless the dealer is very ignorant / stupid, this plan is not going to work 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

62kWh launched in Q4 2019. They have sunk in value of late so a deal would mean the OP would have a get-about car that can do the longer journeys as well if a good price is had. They start at 23k compared to 28-9k before the Tesla price drop in Jan. Price freefall is due also to awareness of Chademo limitations and its obsolete BMS, but doesn't matter for many.

https://www.carsireland.ie/search#q?refinementList%5Bvehicle%5D%5B0%5D=NISSAN%20Leaf&page=1&range%5Byear%5D%5Bmin%5D=2019&query=62

@Gile_na_gile - So there are 192 Leaf 62kWh in Ireland? I thought they were far more recent. Anyway if that's the case, there is a half decent chance for the OP to get one, it will retain a bit more value than the 40kWh. Personally I wouldn't pay more than about €1000-€1500 extra for one though if I didn't really need the extra range.

Thanks for all your advice.

Will stick with the 40kw Nissan Leaf. I can plug it in every night no problem. I travel approx 75km return daily on secondary road. Hoping to use 3 pin charger initially to see how I get on.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd take their arm off. A very good deal.

I assume the 161 is a diesel? Have you not had dpf issues yet? If not they aren't far away.

Do yourself a favour, change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Are you saying the leaf can only be slow charged? Surely not..

No, they can DC fast charge alright. But as the only EV for sale today, it has the obsolete Japanese CHAdeMO system. Pretty much all other EVs have had CCS for 10 years or can be cheaply converted to CCS (older Teslas). Virtually all new public car chargers are CCS and many old CHAdeMO are left broken / not maintained or will be replaced by CCS.

Not want to scaremonger, you can drive from anywhere in Ireland to anywhere else, using CHAdeMO chargers today, but I wouldn't be so sure that will still be the case in a few years time

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

'Fully charged states 230km on dash' you state. Don't believe that for a minute.

Also, the range for Leafs in winter is hopeless. Batteries don't like cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Winter definitely hits your range, that's the nature of all evs, not just Leafs.

Batteries don't like cold weather. Indeed, but in almost all EVs, batteries are conditioned (heated or cooled)

The Nissan Leaf is the only EV that has been for sale for many years, that has no battery conditioning at all. A very bad idea...

• Advertisement

I'm not speaking for @Bricriu, but I'm sure he believed you when the dash was actually showing 230km range

In practice there isn't much chance of you achieving that in real life. Maybe in summer if you take it gently and don't go over 80km/h. Winter range at 120km/h GPS speed it will be more like about 130-140km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

What spec, engine, mileage, condition is your Qashqai? Nobody can say if it's a good or bad deal without that detail? Qashqai is car that really holds its value well and you are trading for a car that suffers quite high depreciation so your cost to change should be low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Just be aware with 100k on it you will not get 230kms (you never did anyway) essentially wltp was 240kms and you would get possibly up to 200kms. Now with 100k kms (same as my 2018 with 100k kms on it also) it will be about 87% of the initial battery so approximately 34kwh net now with around 30kwh available. So to do 180kms (which I believe to be the real available range at best for mixed driving) you will need to do around 165watt hours per km.

The good news is that based on leaf spy and my own degradation graph the degradation has slowed and is quiet stable now approximately 2% a year.

In short they are a good reliable car (check with leaf spy if you can get a lend of one and the odb device) and will do about 180kms in normal driving and a bit less in winter. They are a comfortable car and if its an SVE/Techna (uk version) the spec is brilliant.

Qasqai is 1.5dci sve spec. 124k kms, perfect condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Nice car, in demand and the SVE fetches a premium, worth 12.5k/ 13k in the trade I’d say. Giving 3.5k means your Leaf would want to be worth 16k/17k but not sure in current climate that’s amazing value.

As others have said the Leaf isn’t up to date by modern EV standards but if all your doing is the 70km commute it should work quite well and provide a saving in fuel and potentially repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

A 40 kWh leaf should work very well in your regular usage case. 124k on the Qashqai in 7 years would suggest about 20k a year which it not a problem. We used to run one as the only car between 2018 and 21 and put 76k on it in less than three years. The main longer journey was a weekly 140 km return trip on N roads which the car was easily capable of doing with loads of range left upon return.

However, if you have a habit of doing more than occasional cross country journeys I would not buy a Chademo car as the only car now as the posters above say.

Thanks for your comment. Nissan will be just for work commutes as we have a 2nd car which is diesel for the long journeys. Can I get away with using 3 pin plug to charge if left overnight. Just to start off and then more than likely will get car charger installed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

3 pin will work, you'll get roughly 10km of range per hour, but it's a hassle having to set it up every evening. A charging station with a fixed cable that you can plug in the car in 5 seconds is a winner for regular usage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have both of those cars upuntil recnetly (sold the Qashqai about 3 weeks ago). Same spec for both. Very different cars. THe SV Premium leaf wont feel the same qaaulity as the same spec Qashqai.

Both great cars. One was for the long trips with eveyone in. THe other was for short trips to school, shops, training etc

• Advertisement

Thanks for comment. 300km will be my weekly commute. Costing me 30 euro per week on diesel, hoping approx 8 euro in electricity per week. Night rate at 19c per hour. I appreciate alot is dependent on driving style but that's my estimation. Did you find this similar as you had both a qashqai and leaf to compare. Thanks

Advertisement