Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I read this the other day and wondered if there's any hard evidence that Schmidt's NZ are now "no holds barred".

I'll preface by saying I only went back and watched extended highlights of the pool games against France and Italy.

But in the former game, they scored a beauty of a cross-field kick to open the scoring, but it was with penalty advantage. They then scored off what looks to all the wold like a strike play off a lineout in midfield, involving a dink over the top, quick recycle, then out wide. Their only other score in the game was a penalty kicked after France strayed offside holding several phases of NZ attack out on the goal-line. Interestingly, most phases were one-out runners or pick-n-goes. Is this all sounding a bit familiar?

In the Italy game they were aided by atrocious Italian defending. But nonetheless, a similar pattern was there. Another (I think opening try) off a cross-field kick made on the first phase with penalty advantage. Several strike plays off lineout and at least 3 tries either with or utilizing the rolling maul. By now they were up 50-odd points and I stopped watching. Maybe they went Harlem Globetrotter from then on but not a hugely relevant situation to be scouting them...?

There are no "bad" NZ teams, to quote Matt Williams. They are still incredibly dangerous if given space.

But in those two games I saw a very conservative approach, reliant on strike-plays, set-pieces, mauls and, and only really trying something risky with penalty advantage. Nothing at all to say that Schmidt is now no-holds-barred given a supposedly more skillful set of players under his watch....

If you were basing this opinion on games in the Rugby Championship, then fair enough, I didn't go back that far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If Farrell had an issue with Earls age and or lack of pace (where is this coming from) 

I had the exact same thought, tbh. I'm not at all convinced that, even at 36, JOB has more pace than Earls currently.

They're not gonna pick Earls unless he's fit tho. In which case picking JOB because he's fit becomes redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭leakyboots

And both have more pace than James Lowe but his lack of pace never seems to bother. His strengths are elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭TRC10

hes bigger than both earls and hansen

He's just not though

is this the semi final they won by 20 points

The one they should have won by 25 if JOB could finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

JOB can't finish in the same way Bowe had no pace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Madigan as I said before is the answer. Staring you right in the face.

And it's Tommy Booooowwwe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

He is bigger I mean if you were right you'd just post the numbers

If you can't get that right..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd 100% pick JOB over Earls, the thought of the latter against NZ frankly scares me.

But Farrell clearly doesn't agree and he knows a thing or two about rugbyball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

No potential teams leaked this evening, clearly they want to see if Hansen can train tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Earls is 36, has been an outstanding servant for Ireland and is well loved both inside and outside the squad. If you can’t see that he has lost pace in the last 18-24 months. I’d suggest booking an eye test. NZ will be kicking in behind our wingers and turning them all night, it’s a major part of their game. If Farrell picks him there, then fair enough. I just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us.

Also given what happened last week, having McCloskey on the bench was not a great choice. Luckily it was irrelevant to the outcome by that stage.

Bowe is one of our best every wingers, and 2-time Lion. They're hardly comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

This age/pace thing is definitely not an issue for Farrell, should he too go for an eye test?

If you can’t see that he has lost pace in the last 18-24 months. I’d suggest booking an eye test.

If it's so apparent, can you give a few examples from the last 18 months where he has so obviously lost pace? I honestly don't think he has all that much. Imo, people just see the headline age and assume he has.

I don't think he had a massive amount of pace to begin with, but he could and would have finished his try against England far more easily in the past. Hansen doesn't exactly have massive pace either, but definitely a bit more. But he also pops up around the field in a way that Earls just won't (and JOB would do better than Earls in that regard). I also worry about Earls defensively.

But Farrell clearly rates him over JOB and thinks he brings enough to overcome those issues. I think he's wrong, but well who cares what I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The management team would have so much data of each player, on these basic speed and recovery questions.

Hansen has more pace than Earls, Lowe is much of a muchness but is obviously far more physical. But focusing on pace is a red herring - both Lowe and even moreso Hansen contribute around the park far more. Earls is a classic winger with waning classic winger skills. You're simply not going to find him running loops in midfield to try and create an overlap, it's just not his game.

I know that, but by the sounds of it no one has pace since Denis hickie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think you're missing my point.... if JOB had comparable finishing ability to Bowe's pace, trust me, I'd be delighted.

In terms of getting involved in the play, vs Hansen, that's absolutely fine. But a couple of posters have mentioned his lack of pace vs JOB. I just don't think that's accurate.

Fair enough, I don't have a strong view on JOB's pace vs Earls. I wouldn't be surprised if JOB was quicker, but I don't know.

But Earls has definitely lost some pace (you could see it in the score against England), and he doesn't bring that much else these days. I haven't understood the consistent selection of him all campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Having to start a 36 year winger in a World Cup QF would be a huge concern. He’s been a great player down the years and the try against England was a beautiful moment, but not sure he should even be starting for Munster in their big games at this stage.

I don’t think he’s looked great in the warm ups or against Romania. If I were NZ, I’d be looking to target him. Would prefer to see Baloucoune starting ahead of Earls and JOB on Saturday which obviously isn’t an option. Farrell likes his wingers to drift in and pop up which Baloucoune didn’t manage to do in the AI last year. Don’t think Earls can do that either. For that reason, I think JOB might be a better option for this Irish game plan but in Farrell we trust.

In short, we could really do with Hansen making the game.

Farrell talked him out of retiring, why isn't he concerned about a 36yo playing for Ireland

What age is Sexton ??

I've a feeling discipline could be a major deciding factor at the weekend, so I've had a look at some of the card/penalty stats over Ireland's 17 game unbeaten run (albeit fairly rudimentary).

Ireland have only conceded 3 yellow cards in that run, from 160 penalties. The opposition have conceded 5 yellows and 10 reds, from 182 penalties.

Not appreciably more penalties, but significantly more cards. Even filtering for Tier 1 Nations, Ireland require 4 times as many pens before they get a yellow, vs the opposition. That's without factoring in reds.

Given the effectiveness and speed of our ruck, that's incredibly disciplined.

(It does make me wonder how much prep/scouting of what particular refs do and do not allow is done, and if it is, it suggests Ireland are incredibly good at it).

When I saw the name I thought someone was taking the piss out of Beauden Barrett😅

What's the issue with that try? I know at the time you weren't impressed with his theatrics but, iirc, there was hardly a hand laid on him by the defence and he had to stop & jump to gather the pass in the air so he wasn't actually running onto a pass.

Not really sure what more he could have done to impress you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Sexton is still playing to a very high standard despite his age in a position where pace and agility aren’t the key positional attributes. Do you think Earls is currently playing to the same level as Sexton?

Farrell obviously feels Earls brings a lot to the group on and off the pitch. As I said, in Farrell I trust. He sees how players fit into the system first hand. I’ve only expressed my opinion and rationale behind it which is the idea of the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement