Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,031 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just burning buildings and tents yet complaining about homelessness. Then in Ballybrack they smashed the building up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Careful now.

95% of primary schools, and about half[*] of secondary schools, in Ireland are "religious patronage" and are specifically exempt from most employment equality law. They can quite legally :

• refuse to hire you if you're not the 'right' religion
    • fire you if you stop going to mass, church events etc.
    • fire you for cohabiting with a person you are not married to in the eyes of their church regardless of your civil married status
    • fire you if you come out as an atheist or convert to another religion

The only legal brake on their "rights" is that since a few years ago they are legally prohibited from sacking teachers who come out as gay.

Oh and yes, all of these teachers are fully paid out of our taxes. We pay the money but the Roman Catholic Church and Church of Ireland call the shots.

Our education system is still run under a model which was deemed inadequate in the early 19th century but the churches insisted on retaining control and still do.

[*] Many of the remaining secondary schools, such as ETB, are not officially under religious patronage but are, in effect.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Chapter 8: Where to Meet People Like You

Edit

This chapter talks about concepts like gaydar, safe spaces (specifically the gay scene and what that might look like). It also talks about dating, and different places or ways to meet people, including directions and suggestions for using Grindr and other hookup apps.[7]"

So what happens if someone under 17 acts on this advice?

Here is what could happen to homosexual men and women if a naive child wanders into their scene and lies about their age: criminal convictions, being put on the sex offenders register, physical and mental abuse in prison from the other prisoners etc., etc.

So why distribute it to anyone under 17?

It was taken off a children's reading guide in Ireland after 'concerns and complaints' from 'campaigners'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get ta fuk.

Kids under 17 have sex. Always have.

Not always with the opposite sex either.

The 1850s called...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

They really screwed the pooch with both the marketing, and how the handled the fallout. They ended up p*ssing off both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, just to clarify, the book talks about dating and online dating?

Are you oppose to 16-17 year old kids who are NOT gay being taught about dating and online dating?

Or are you under the impression the book is actually teaching them how to set up an online dating profile and line up one-night-stands? Because even if that were the case, you can't actually use Grindr (or any other dating website, gay or straight) if you're under 18. So what would the point of this be...?

Personally, I'd be totally in favour of teenagers being taught about dating and the safety and danger protocols involved - would you not be?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The point has gone over your head.

Kids under 17 have sex with, mostly, each other. They do not join adult scenes.

Funny how some people can never debate an issue without lying and exaggerating about it (unless you actually believe that the book is genuinely encouraging underage kids to illegally sign up to dating platforms, but I'm seriously guessing that's not the case) - but then if you didn't, your argument would die a very quick death, wouldn't it?

As I put it to another poster on the left-wing thread: do you ever stop to think that these lies and exaggerations (which they are, let's be honest) might actually BE the threat itself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There is no point. You dumped some link to derail the thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭sekiro

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here and I will remove the content of this post. However, I believe that the precise section from the book is as follows:

"How sex apps work:

1. Upload a tiny pic of yourself to the app.

2. The app works out your location.

3. The app tells you who the nearest homosexuals are.

4. You then chat to them.

5. Because they are near, it is easy to meet up with them.

...if you’re looking for the ubiquitous “fun” (the words “sex,” “shag,” and the F-word, ironically, are banned on most sex apps), be upfront about it and then no one’s feelings are going to get hurt."

Can someone explain to me precisely why a grown adult would actually want to give this "how to" guide to young people? I understand that the book is targeted towards the teen demographic?

What doesn't particularly sit well with me is the fact that a grown adult sat down and thought "ok I need to tell the kids exactly how to use sex apps" and then decided this was something that absolutely had to go in their book.

"But the apps don't allow people under 18 to sign up!"

It’s Too Easy for Minors to Join Dating Apps - The Atlantic

Does the book actually follow up it's handy guide to using sex apps with warnings about the possible dangers?

Like I said, I do wonder what's going on in the mind of an adult who thinks it's a good idea to target this content to people under the age of 18.

"But they can see anything on their phones these days."

Sure, that's a good argument to have a section in the book warning them about the dangers of these apps and other internet forums or communities that the kids might stumble into. Not a good argument for giving them a how to guide.

Worth nothing that our "how sex apps work guide" makes no mention of needing to be 18. Funny how that works.

I think if people took the political battles out of the equation then anyone with a bit of common sense would see the problem here. Or at least would see the potential problems.

• Advertisement

Teaching someone how something works is not the same as encouraging someone to use something. This is just basic information. The key line there is "how sex apps work" - not "how to get laid". If anything, it's a bit simplistic - most kids have created a profile on a social media website at some point, so they'll already know steps one and two.

And bear in mind society does this with a lot of things - we teach kids how to vote, for example, but we don't actually let them do it until they're over 18. Driving is another example: kids are shown how to drive when they're 15 or 16, but they're not legally allowed to do it until they're 17.

The misconception here is that you assume that it actually encourages them to register a profile and actively look - does any part of the chapter advise this? I'm not sure if it does, but I find it very difficult to believe that it does, considering it's illegal and the author would have been arrested if so. What I would criticise is the possible lack of safety information, but for all I know that could de dealt with extensively. I'm trying to find out more at the moment.

So that's the evidence for "no it does not actively advise". Mostly based on common sense, which is why I was suspicious of the previous poster (although you, to be fair have actually done SOME research, they didn't).

Flaneur O'Brien dumped it for context so I discussed it.

Correction - Franeur dumped it for context so you decided it was encouaging teenagers to have one-night-stands with adults and ran with it.

So I didn't dump it? Flaneur did. I gave my opinion and you don't like my opinion.

Great, we're all up to speed now.

Never said you did - different poster.

Anyway, you said:

So what happens if someone under 17 acts on this advice?

It's not advising or encouraging someone under 17 to do anything.

Kids under 17 have sex with, mostly, each other. They do not join adult scenes.

The opinion here is that the book encourages 17 year olds to join adult scenes.

This is a baseless exaggeration. You are entiteld to an opinion, of course, but you're not entitled to exaggerate it to the point of implying something that's simply not true.

==

In your opinion, do you think this book is actively encourageing kids to join adult dating sites and contact adults for sex? Simple yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Expanding on the logic used for your opinion would also mean educating kids about sex would lead to them having more of it which every study has proven to be absolutely untrue, all that happens is those that are having sex are doing it safer. Therefore your opinion is uninformed bigoted right wing alarmist nonsense.

Show us some of these studies then. I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Here's an article linking to a comprehensive study, i'll quote some of the key findings listed in the article just to make things easier for you.

Education decreases pregnancies through increased contraception use.

The very low teen pregnancy rate in Switzerland exists in the context of long-established sex education programs, widespread expectation that sexually active teens will use contraception, free family planning services and low-cost emergency contraception. In the study, researchers noted teen pregnancy rates vary with levels of education and cultural background of adolescent girls.

But shows no increase in sexual activity

The report also found that sex-ed courses did not lead to earlier sexual activity in young people.

And heres the study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4852976/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Can someone explain to me precisely why a grown adult would actually want to give this "how to" guide to young people? I understand that the book is targeted towards the teen demographic?

Because 17 year olds giving each other that advice would be incredibly stupid and almost certainly incorrect.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hang on.

You, a grown adult, doesn’t believe sex education for children makes them safer and more informed?

Thats just complete and utter ignorance. Nothing more and nothing less.

Do you mind me asking if you have children yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

So dating apps weren't remotely a thing when I was a teen. However they are the norm now. Be it tinder or Grindr, I'd prefer for teens to know how to safely use such platforms and the etiquette for doing so before they come of age. That's making things safer for them and everyone else when they do eventually join such platforms. Education has to change with the times and awareness prior to turning 18 is better than an 18 year old diving in with no knowledge.

Also worth noting that the library thugs are going after both fictional and factual books. It's an effort to ostacise the LGBT community. I'm pretty sure if Adrian Mole was attracted to a boy instead of a girl, they'd be labeling it as grooming of the youth.

To be fair, the "library thugs" tend to go after the trans community than the gay community, but the reasons for doing so are equally ignorant.

Demonise the people you don't want, tell lies about them - BIG lies - and then get people to believe the lies and create an atmosphere of fear based on nothing but deliberately promoted ignorance. It's been the way from Goebbels to McCarthy to Nixon to Trump to Putin. And THAT is where your dangers lie, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

At what age do you think children should learn about sex?

We have had this discussion before in Ireland, post Ann Lovett, the x case.

I remember the LLS and those awful nutjobs who didn't want anybody to have sex outside of marriage, never mind learn about it or use contraception.

Move on 35 years... now its gay sex, same crowd, (not literally) same moronic carry on, about teenagers learning about something that many will be looking up online from the age of 12 anyhow.

Have none of ye children or been teenagers yourselves? 🙄

For those parents who are throwing hissy fits over a teen how to book, look at your children's social media and talk to them about what they see and read most weeks from their friends and others not so friendly, about sex.

I would rather they read a book like the one described or whatever the direction they might be leaning, and I gave them the chance to discuss anything. Most teens would cringe at the thought of talking to their parents abput sex, but at least they know their parents are at least ' willing to' discuss or are supportive.

The burn the books /shut the discussion down people have had their day.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This is why gay pride still has to be a thing, and why intolerance cannot be tolerated. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭crusd

A quote from a prominent friend of the victim in this incident:

“This intolerance has to end. Anyone using hateful language against the LGBTQ+ community has to realize their words matter, that their words can inspire violence against innocent loving people. Let’s all keep moving forward with tolerance and love. Let’s not let Lauri’s tragic death be in vain.”

Using sarcasm to shine a light on the "low level" hate speech that propagates and allows an environment to develop where someone is murdered because the chose to fly a flag is not in any way cynical.

It is the people who use the type of language mirrored in the post to facilitate an environment that has resulted in this crime.

These are some of the replies to the victims friend on X.

What is vile?

What's vile is turning someone's murder into a political agenda.

Speculating that it was a person of colour, speculating that it was a theft, specualating that diversity and acceptance are agendas, speculating that it's the LGBTQ movement's fault that she was shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭crusd

Exactly - and using sacasm to shine a light on the complicity of such views in this type of hate crime is appropriate.

• Advertisement

Not sure where that comes from, I was just answering your question. Unless you're talking about the raindbow flags turning kids trans comment

Advertisement