Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2019 Mazda 6 2.2 D Platinum

Options
  • 15-08-2023 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am trying to choose between 2 very similar cars.

They are identical Mazda 6 2.2 D Platinum (face lift model) and are both the same price.

The only differences between them are:

Cream leather interior and Jan 2019 with 86600 kms

Dark leather interior and Jul 2019 with 71500 kms

I really like the cream leather but the other is 6 months newer with 15k fewer kms.

Struggling to decide... any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭goochy

cream leather sounds lovely but it wont look well if you rack up the kms and also will be hard to clean

not a fan of dark interiors myself - you need to look at it from a practicality point of few

depends of you going to treat car like a baby or if it will have kids/ dogs thrown in to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Is this the same 2.2 diesel engine that is notoriously unreliable or was it improved in the facelift model

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Run away. That skyactiv diesel engine is not reliable. They have a reputation of catastrophic failure due to a poor design. The Mazda6 is a fine car, lovely to drive but if you want one then go petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

It meant to be a better one after 2013, but looking at the amount of cheap Mazda 6 it did only extend the mileage. The old one would typically fall apart around 20.000km-50.000km.

OP if You have spare couple grant lying around go for it. Alternatively maybe check Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AndyL

Thanks for thoughts all.

@goochy I can treat it well... no dogs and kids a little older now.

@bazz26 very interesting... I've done a fair bit of research and it seems that if you give the 2.2D Skyactiv fairly regular motorway runs (which I will) then it doesn't have the DPF regen issues that some have suffered from. Also, the diesel is scoring higher than the petrol in this What Car reliability survey... https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-what-car-reliability-survey-executive-cars/n23400

@yoshiktk don't like the Passat too much and it is much more money for similar year/spec.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭mk7r

I agree, stay well clear it will break your heart

Andy it's not about DPF, there's a build quality issue, one with chain and one with cranshaft, i think, I don't remember exactly now, but the engine just falls apart due poor quality, so even car with proper service every 15km can just blow up. I'm surprised that English google doesn't give proper results. On polish forums you will finds loads of people with 2.2 and horror stories they went thru. Mazda Poland would fix them for free, until like 50k km or so.

It's your choice, I had the opportunity to get Mazda 6 as well as they are lovely car but sitting on time bomb is not for me that's why I choose Passat. 6 years besides service nothing major needed to be done.

Thanks again all for the advice. I think I will avoid that engine.

And I was only asking about cream leather - lol. Perhaps I've just dodged a bullet.

Back to the drawing board :)

Just get a petrol, they are a great car otherwise

• Advertisement

Thanks @USer1998 I will definitely consider that as I really do like the 6.

Thanks to Ireland's long love affair with Diesels the petrols are few and far between though.... much more limited choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭McGrath5

What's a tell tale sign these engines are about to fail? Anecdotally speaking I have seen these cars spewing out blue smoke over the years, last week I saw a 2018 CX-5 smoking.

I think I remember reading here that the oil level rises frequently because of unused diesel being mixed with the oil from failed DPF regenerations

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I spotted an older one facelift model for sale not long ago. Had a nice spec and had undergone a full engine rebuild. Recommended it to my eldest as a possible buy. But then I did a Google search and found the horror stories. One man I came across had spent £15+ over the space of a few years in his. Had an engine rebuild and still went wrong after that.

Was not expecting to read things like that about Mazda, their reliability is usually right up there with the best.

My manager had one a couple of years back as a company car. Was in and out the garage for all sorts. I always thought he'd just been unlucky with a Friday afternoon car.

Petrol version should be good as others said.

I’d imagine they’d be fairly reliable if you remove the DPF, EGR, and Adblue systems

They are usually the downfall of most diesels these days

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They would be fairly reliable if you remove the engine...

Its not something I’d take a chance on but a mate of mine had one for years with all the emissions stuff removed and he never had a days bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I ran one for four years with no issues, I took it from 77k to 117k with oil changes every 10k maximum (in practice it was more like 6-7k due to lack of mileage). I was careful to keep an eye on the oil level and make sure it got reasonably regular motorway runs to ensure regens got done.

I have it on good authority that exhaust camshaft wear and carbon buildup are the main problems, and not the DPF (which ends up being the symptom and not the actual problem. Worn injectors also can contribute to the issues.

140k seems to be the threshold for when a well maintained facelift 2.2D would be expected to start giving problems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I could be wrong here but I've been told adblue can't be removed as it's too deeply programmed into the running of the car and any attempt to remove it or trick it stops the car.

Happy to stand corrected on this.

Quick google shows many polish garages specialized in EGR/DPF/ADblue removal. No matter the problem theres always a slav/turk which will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Firblog

Don't walk away from this engine - RUN

OH had one go very much south on her, had always been serviced on time by main Mazda dealer - paid a ton of money to have fixed last year, failed again after 5000km

I've spoken to 2 guys I know who have garages, and another Joe Soap who have all suffered the same - one of them was only 2017 with not alot of milage.

If you search for Mazda 6 and Mazda CX5 on Donedeal and put the price from low to high you can see how many of them need new engines. Its crazy.

Advertisement